Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new ride
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: My new ride Reply with quote

Bought a bug because I needed a new daily driver after my zoom-zoom was t-boned and totalled. Decided to go with a bug. Fell in love with a 66. It's pretty rough, but has good bones to work with.

The ups - it's a 66, came with a 1600 dp that runs well, and the body is in pretty good shape as far as rust goes. New disc brakes on the front, master cylinder, brake lines. Wide five Mengle wheels, decent hubcaps, tires at 80% tread. Believe it or not, I count into the plus category the roll bar that was installed (even though it's about 2 inches too far forward). Og seat removed in favor of a wooden platform - the PO built sort of a bench in the back so he could install his kids' car seats. My kiddo still uses one, too, and the tether system latches in perfectly with this setup. No worry about damaging the og rear seat. I did get the og seat, and will install once I get the interior restored. I also count into the plus category the Scat shifter and Grant steering wheel, which are desireable enough by some to swap for some good og replacements.

The downs - the 1600 dp leaked like a sieve, came with an 009, cylinders leaked on 3/4, all cylinders scored. Distributor clamp broken, 36hp shroud, 36 hp oil cooler on 1600 dp engine. Total front end replacement needed, all shocks dead, low-back seats are actually chopped high backs - done poorly, battery tray rusted through - PO did a poor repair, inside of engine compartment was hacked out (probably to remove a big engine fast - was a drag bug at one time), all seals need replacement (all seals), PO primered over og paint inside and out, no tape anywhere. Rather than replace with correct wiper switch PO hacked in an aftermarket rocker switch. Came with lap belts front and back, radio hacked into dash, alt light not wired correctly, so battery never charged, gen fuel pump instead of alt, firewall hacked to pieces, no antenna, much missing trim, no running boards, all running board bolts will have to be drilled out as heads sheared off when we tried to remove them. Rear axle boots needed replacement, as did rear brakes - car was stopping on just the front discs. I'm sure there's more, but that's a basic rundown.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first order of business, since I needed a running car right away, was to get the engine, brakes and the suspension back up to snuff. We dropped the engine, took it down to the shortblock, replaced the jugs and pistons and replaced all the seals/gaskets. We replaced the 009 with an SVDA since the 009 was missing a return spring, was filthy and sloppy as hell. Rebuilt the carb - somebody overtighted the cutoff switch at one point and the carb was leaking gas at that opening. One of the guys swapped out my crappy Brosol carb body for a Solex - sweet!

We replaced the axle boots, shocks, and re-did the front end sans ball joints - they were missing from our box of parts - somebody failed to put them in the box when he left the shop. Installed decklid offsets since we can't install engine seals until we get the new sheet metal welded in. We have to schedule another day to do the balljoints and adjust the steering box, then complete the alignment. I can make a really tight left turn, but wide rights until I get this sorted out. Embarassed

Swapped the Grant for a stock wheel, a bunch of engine tin and running boards, trading the Scat shifter for stock shifter, shroud, oil cooler, and various broken or missing bits and pieces. Overrider bumpers coming as soon as I can get the bumper supports welded back in - they went when the engine bay metal was hacked to pieces. Og low seat backs will be swapped for the hacked ones soon, too.

It was a very long couple of days, but when all was said and done "Hank", as I have decided to name him, is much sturdier than before, and I've been driving with no issues. Couldn't have done it without my peeps - props go out to all who came out and helped, and helped, and helped. Very Happy

Per Gary, A.K.A. "Purple dress girl")

Last edited by 74Pepper on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My new ride Reply with quote

74Pepper wrote:
We replaced the 009 with an SVDA since the 009 was missing a return spring, was filthy and sloppy as hell.

since the 009 distributor only had one (1) spring from factory are you saying yours had none (0) springs??????????

no wonder advance was goofy with no (0) spring.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were install points for two - one on each side...you saying they had two install points, but only installed one spring?
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, only one....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431795&highlight=009+distributor+spring

Well, there you go.
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good score. Looks like a solid car.

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are also a talented photographer. Its like looking at LIFE magazine.
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell my photog you said so. She will be pleased Smile
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My new ride Reply with quote

Wondering how this ever turned out? Question
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: