Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon front seat stuck on the track.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dameeser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Vanagon front seat stuck on the track. Reply with quote

So my driver seat is stuck. Won't move but an inch in either direction. I'm wondering if there is something stuck in the track that is preventing me from moving the seat.

OR

my frustration that led to a manic episode where I was sitting on the seat, furiously jerking the seat back and forth somehow bent the track.

Any Ideas on how I can fix this. The tracks seem to be welded to the frame.

OH, it's an 89 Vanagon Carat
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try having one person sit on it and pull the handle up and one person sit behind (remove jumpseat, put coolers or something in front of bench - for leverage) and push the bottom of the seat with your feet. If its just stuck, it will slide. If the lever isn't actually working, you will know it.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had one of the small bolts that holds the seat to the rail come loose and jamb into the bottom rail, resulting in a completely locked up seat. Take a flashlight and look into the rails to see if you wound up with the same issue. I used a thin piece of steel strapping to lift up the bolt long enough to slide it forwrd and remove the seat and then replaced it with a new fastener. I also took the opportunity to put some locktite on all of the bolts that hold the rail to the seat while I had it out.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said plus I generously sprayed the tracks with penetrating oil. I took the seat completely off then cleaned all of the dirt, dust, and junk out of the tracks.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my seat. It slides forward easily but very difficult to move it back, every time. I put some grease and oil on the rail but it doesn't help. Anytime I move the seat forward I have to get help from my son to move it back. He sits on the seat, pull the lever and push hard on his legs while I grab the seat from the back and pull...

no solution found yet..

Confused
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I've got my driver's seat working well, but the passenger seat sticks like that and I've yet to find a solution. I've cleaned both sides and replaced the plastic "rails," and I've tried both paste wax and grease to lube them up. The passenger seat doesn't generally need to move except when I need to get to the battery, but it frustrates the hell out of me that I can't get it working more smoothly. Conceptually is pretty simple, so I don't know why it's so problematic.

Paul
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
...and replaced the plastic "rails,"

Ironically, my passenger seat slid back and forth just dandy, aside from a slight wobble, until I replaced those plastic guide pieces. Put the new guide pieces in, added some lube and the seat now barely moves. Mad Next time that seat is removed those guide pieces are coming out!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:

Ironically, my passenger seat slid back and forth just dandy, aside from a slight wobble, until I replaced those plastic guide pieces. Put the new guide pieces in, added some lube and the seat now barely moves. Mad Next time that seat is removed those guide pieces are coming out!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but, I thought there was only supposed to be one of those plastic guide pieces per seat, on the outboard rail.

Perhaps this is contributing to the difficulty?
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but, I thought there was only supposed to be one of those plastic guide pieces per seat, on the outboard rail.

I'll have to check that out... I put it back the way I found it, I think. But then it's been a couple years since I did it AND they didn't work properly before that.

Paul
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the plastic pieces wear, bunch up and jam, or the seat gets cocked on the rails. I removed the plastic pieces and slathered some grease on the rails. Don't move the seats much, but they work fine now.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:

I researched this a while ago, and that's what I found as well. Only one per seat, outboard.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken wrote:

Well, the seat originally had two pieces, both being broken, which is why the seat wobbled. I bought the guide pieces from VC and their description says: "These are the factory bushings that slide between the seat and the rail to prevent seat from rocking and rattling. Will fit all Vanagon's 1980-1991 - there are 2 per seat (4 per vehicle) price listed is for each. " I'll have to double-check ETKA and see what the official VW count per seat is, but as far as I know, it's two per seat. The new ones are simply adding to the thickness between the rails (they are slightly thicker than the old, worn, broken ones I pulled out) and, therefore, cause resistance when trying to slide the seat. The driver's side, without any guide pieces and fresh grease, slides beautifully and doesn't even wobble much.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up: I took a look in ETKA and it states 1 guide piece per seat and shows it on the outer rail; you guys might be right! Cool So, I'll remove one of the guide pieces in the near future and see what happens.
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: