Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Started reading "Letters to Zerky" tonight....
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Started reading "Letters to Zerky" tonight.... Reply with quote

Wow. Just Wow. Guy tries to drive his wife and infant son around the world in a mid 60s VW Bus. Journals to his son who will be too young to remember so that he'll one day read it.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a quick read but a good book. A bit depressing at the end but I enjoyed it. Wife bought it for me for Xmas.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like both parents are good writers. Honest writing, too.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had high expectations. I'll second Bill's review of the book. Was hoping to hear more involvement of the VW Bus in the story. Tragic end, also. Only a single survivor of the 4 adventurers...

DougM
Krautwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I had high expectations. I'll second Bill's review of the book. Was hoping to hear more involvement of the VW Bus in the story. Tragic end, also. Only a single survivor of the 4 adventurers...

DougM

Why did you spoil it for everyone who has not read the book yet?

Thanks man. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ziptip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Guy Tries to Drive VW Bus Around the World Reply with quote

Hey you guys, I'm the guy who wrote that book, "Letters to Zerky, a Father's Legacy to a Lost son and a Road Trip Around the World." Sorry the endings a bummer, but--ah what the hell--that's life.

Send me an email to [email protected], and I'll send you a cool pitcure of the 1973 Vanagon I fixed all up nice to promote the book. But I sure wish it didn't have an automatic transmission. Nobody left on earth knows how to fix them!
Bill R
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

What an honor. I am an avid reader, which is to say it takes a bit to move me. With your book, I laughed. I cried. I often turned to my wife (a seasoned world traveler) and read her this bit or that.

I have read several vehicle trip around the world books, but never has it felt more deeply personal. Often I wished for more writing from your wife. One night after reading for a bit, I padded out to the freezing garage in bare feet. I was pondering that I own my own businesses, have an adventurous wife and kids and there's a huge world out there. Walked over to the Syncro project and put my hand on her and wondered where she'd take us. Where, indeed?

As for ruining it for others, I apologize but this aspect is in several reviews and I think the jacket cover or something. No excuse though, so pardon.

DougM
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy Tries to Drive VW Bus Around the World Reply with quote

ziptip wrote:
But I sure wish it didn't have an automatic transmission. Nobody left on earth knows how to fix them!

In Santa Cruz go to Van Cafe. They know want to do!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to buy a copy to find out how it ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ziptip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: "Letters to Zerky, a Road Trip Around the World" Reply with quote

Please let me know when you finish reading it. I'd like to know what you think.
--Bill (the author)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I sent you and email and it was returned. Got another email address or perhaps retype it?

Regards,

DougM
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading it last night! Don't spoil it for me!

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in a PM to me.
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's on TheSamba!! HOW COOL IS THAT??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Okay, calm down, calm down.

Bill Raney writes great stories that speak to the common man and woman. Intensely personal, wonderfully written. The kind of story dangerous to read if you're near a road, a trail, or any means of conveyance going "Out There". Stories about a world that "useta was", a world hidden from modern eyes except to those with diamond-clear vision and lively imagination, able to see over the horizon and spot old dives and rabbit holes at a distance. A perfect read, especially if you're settled down in your Westy, top up in the woods with a campfire burning nearby. This man could be anybody's favorite uncle or best friend; a great storyteller and travelling companion with a packfull of tales.

If you like "Letters To Zerky", go to Bill's website, Waltzing Around the World (http://waltzingaroundtheworld.com/). Check out "In Search of a Lost Penny". Beautiful! Check back often - good things to come.

<To Be Continued...>

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
ziptip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Zerky Reply with quote

Hey Doug M,
You say "I have read several vehicle trip around the world books," and I say what books? Can you remember any of their names? I'd like to read someone else's account of this sort of thing.
--Bill
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a heard alot about this book , now that i know the author is a member of thesamba, its a definate purchase....tip of the hat to you, sir Wink
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered mine! I meant to get it earlier and then I forgot, but yeah now that the writer is a Samba guy makes it that much better.

Is this going to be one of those life changing books that makes me quit my job and go travel with the family?.... I kinda hope so Smile
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

COOL, thanks for joining this discussion!

I bought and read your book a few months ago.
I was hoping for more mention of the vehicle itself, how you laid it out for travel and living, where on earth you stored 3,000 diapers, mechanical issues and fixes, etc.

I enjoyed it overall, and it's a good reminder to document important events for our young kids.

-CJ
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

My other passion is LandCruisers, a sickness I've had for 20 years this year. In addition to the recent (2010) trip around the world by Nicolas Rapp, one book I greatly enjoyed was titled "Who Needs A Road" - an account of a trip around the world in an FJ40 LandCruiser. It was a great read and a great story and I believe took place in the 60s.

I've also read books by people in Land Rovers, and another by a guy who tries it on a motorcycle. The FJ40 one would be a definite recommend.

DougM
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I too had an email icked back to me. I'll try PM'ing you.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: