Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deck Height, head CC, CR Dilema
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
temurphy3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Deck Height, head CC, CR Dilema Reply with quote

I'm a NooB, Embarassed and I'm trying to understand the CR, deck height and Head CC information. In the spring I am planning on building a street 2332 (84x94) with a forged counterweighted crank, 94's, FK-8, 44 IDF's, Steve Tims stage 2's @ 57cc's. Everything has already been chosen.

Now using the engine calulators it says I need a deck height of .103 to achieve 8.75 CR (FK-8 on pump gas). From what I've read the Only / Best deck height is .045-.060 (clearance for possible self destruction) and best quence? Detonation and pinging occurs after .060?? I dont get it!!

so My question is,
What is the difference if I (A) set my deck height to .045 like it should be then have the heads cc'd larger and dish the pistons to get 8.75 or (B) Set my deck height to .103 like the calculator says? It appears the cumbustion volume is the "Change" and what is needed for low CR 8.75 Right?? They both seem like its doing the same thing but one underneath the deck and the other above the deck. Is there anone that can please explain the difference and "whys" between these two different scenarios?
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your doing the math right so pat yourself on the back.

You are correct in all your assumption or conclusions. Why do you want 8.75? At .050 you'll get 9.85. The FK-8 can handle that.

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can step cut the heads to add cc's or semi hemi cut. or use .060 copper head gaskets?why so low compression? you can run .060 deck for 9.6 or .080 for 9 to one . the tighter the deck the better.but you can run that big deck if you want that low compression. it's just not the best. but easy and cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
temurphy3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: CR Delema Reply with quote

I want/have to run on pump gas. Gas is also about to get worse here in NY. In the spring it will be 15% ethonal. but in order to lower the CR to 8.75 something has to change.
My main question is why is is not OK to have a deck height greater than .06 but it is OK to increase the Head CC and or dish the pistons? These both seem to be doing exactly the same thing of increasing the chamber volume.
So why cant I add .103 shims? If I do I will have a "pinger" anything greater than (>.060)? This would be the easiest /cheapest route.
What exactly is better about the increased CC's and dished pistons? Pinpointing the burn location??
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a 2332cc street t1, i would live to build one of these. But at 15% ethanol i guess you would need more compression to truly burn that air fuel charge. Ethanol burns slow and the added compression would help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with that. but if your set on 8.75 set your deck at .043 and use .060 copper head gaskets from cb. that will give you .103 deck? that's the cheapest way to go. but the fk8 works best with at least 9 to 1.remember the cam really is the deciding factor in compression pressure. the more radical the more it bleeds off compression . that's why i can kick start my harley easy with a huge cam!

Last edited by sgmalt46 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't step cuts, head gaskets, head spacers, and deck height all be the same thing? I'm just trying to figure this all out.
temurphy3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good and easy but what is this warning of going above .060 for the deck height when adding shims would do bascially the same thing? Is it expected that when you buy new heads they are CC'd within reason to what you want?
I imagine 66 cc's is too large but if I had a deck of .050, 84x94, and 66 CC heads I would have my desired CR of 8.75.
Would the semi hemi heads not work properly? Whats bad about them?
temurphy3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: not shims -> copper gaskets Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't mean shims above I meant .60 in copper gaskets
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please please please dont semi hemi steve timms beautiful work... if i were you id consult steve timms directly when your getting ready to buy HIS heads he will points you in the right direction and what has worked for him on what is sure to be hundreds of motors with very similar setups to your own.

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's all the same. it's just best if the piston is as high as possible.you want combustion happening in the head not in the cylinder. it's just best.you can just shim it at .103 it's not a big deal.it will be fine.i would run the copper head gaskets if it where me .so i can run a tight deck .045-.060
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2180 with a FK8 and Steve Tims Stage 2s and I run 9.5:1cr.

I also live in NY and have no had any problems running 93 octane.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with glenn run .060 deck for 9.6 and run it! and stop thinking about it. ive run 9.25-9.50 with 110 cams with no problem . and fk8 can handle 10-1
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just .103 shims....in any combination....is NOT the way to go and neither is a Hemi cut. Do as recommended and talk to Steve Tims. Better to buy a larger cc chamber from Tim and keep that Quench area TIGHT. Too much deck will lead to an engine that is so touchy about the fuel grade and timing that you'll pull your hair out.

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much Internet BS myths about running tight deck. I've built several engines with.080"-.090"" deck and none have any pinging issues. I'm running .080" deck in my 2165 and it runs strong down the drag strip and on the street.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...none of the deck measurments listed here are actually "tight". Confused
Other than just getting compression up or down... an .060" deck is fairly hot running and inefficient. It keeps most of the flame front down in the barrel instead of up in the head.
I would should for about .045" to .050" max. Talk to your head guy about what you need to do with your heads to get the compression you want with a deck in that range. Ray
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm.... The flame front starts at the spark plug and finishes at the piston which is already traveling down the cylinder when it gets there.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
Wouldn't step cuts, head gaskets, head spacers, and deck height all be the same thing? I'm just trying to figure this all out.

YES, they will all raise or lower your coompression ratio, but having the piston too far down the bore will decrease the efficiency of the burn. As the charge burns in the combustion chamber it spreads to burn the complete charge. Having hte charge spread out across the entire piston and down the bore will mean it takes a relatively long time to burn as compared to having it a packed up nice and close to the plug in the head chamber
. .040 is the absolute closest you want your piston to the haed and only if you are running a good crank and H-beam rods. This will give the clearance needed for crank flex and rod stretch. .060 is the stock clearance for cast cranks and stock rods to allow clearance for same. I don't think running a .060 deck and the compression that gives you will be a problem. I'm running 10.3:1 on my 2332 street motor and have no problems with pump gas. As has been stated, methanol burns slower and shouldn't cause a problem with pre-detonation. And the FK8 will "work" better.

But I'd talk to Steve Tims and see what he ultimately reccomends, he'll know what will work best with his heads. A lot of R&D goes into what head porters do.

brad
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of points to add to what slalombuggy said, Gene Berg has used his 191S stock VW I beam rods to 9500 RPM in a race motor with no problems, they recommend a max of 7500 in street use. These rods have stronger SPS bolts though.

The stock VW crank is in fact forged, not cast.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing

Last edited by DarthWeber on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I should have said non-counterweighted or stock crank instead of cast crank. My mistake. Good point about Berg rods.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: