Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat Dashboard?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duckvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

I have a 1974 Super Beetle but i really like the flat dashboard and the bamboo rack under is there a model like that hast the flat dash and can have that rack in the years between 70-75 I'm pretty young and new to owning a bug so i really need help on this Smile
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW made standard (non Super) Beetles for those years as well. The curved windshield and big dash started in '73.

1971-1972 Supers are known as 1302 and have a flat windshield and flat dash.
1973-1979 Supers are known as 1303 and have a curved windshield and big dash.

It can be a bit confusing. Here's a good read:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=189893

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duckvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but can the early supers have the bamboo rack under the dash? and also i like the older looking speedometer so do older supers have one of those too?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and Yes.

If you liked the earlies supers, you should have bought an early super.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Russ Wolfe on this one... glad to see the OP didn't spell it "supper bettle" like so many newbies and unexperienced VW owners do. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Yes, and Yes.

If you liked the earlies supers, you should have bought an early super.

To most people a Beetle is a Beetle. They want one and get the first one that comes their way which happens to be a Super Beetle. They then realize it's different than a standard Beetle - can't just lower it with dropped spindles or put in a bamboo parcel tray. There should be a warning about this on all Supers for sale. Smile

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your put your super beetle engine in a standard beetle…you can out run mustangs.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
If your put your super beetle engine in a standard beetle…you can out run mustangs.

That's how I understand it Cool
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:

Super Bettles have Porch engines.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
anthracitedub wrote:

Super Bettles have Porch engines.

Quote:
nice car. is it a porch? where's the moter at? i put a carmen-gia moter in this here supper beetle truck, and i beet corvets in stoplite drags. put a carmen-gia moter in that porch, and you beet corvets too. wut? carmen-gias don't have porch headlites or fancy wheels, that's a porch!

Quote was the most memorable part of a conversation between me (driving a '63 Ghia with early bug headlights and Fuchs wheels at the time, not my kit car) and a redneck with a trashed-out curved-glass Super Beetle converted to a stake-bed pickup, in an auto-parts store parking lot. That was an enjoyable conversation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, a topic I can actually post this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here's what a later Super dash looks with out the foam. Going to play around with this, see what I can do.

OK, the grey parts are what I'm going to fill in with just metal. The dash metal is thin as hell, so I'm going to use the automotive glues to stick pieces on along with using metal to support the more thin parts. I was going to put the vents back in. The hole with arrow pointed ignition I was going to put the ignition and fill in the other little hole. I was going to put different fresh air knobs in where they went before. And the ash tray I'm thinking of putting a gauge of some sort, maybe oil temp. Going to custom make a door for the dash, one that opens with the little arms similar to a standard.
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
Cool, a topic I can actually post this.

here's what a later Super dash looks with out the foam. Going to play around with this, see what I can do.

OK, the grey parts are what I'm going to fill in with just metal. The dash metal is thin as hell, so I'm going to use the automotive glues to stick pieces on along with using metal to support the more thin parts. I was going to put the vents back in. The hole with arrow pointed ignition I was going to put the ignition and fill in the other little hole. I was going to put different fresh air knobs in where they went before. And the ash tray I'm thinking of putting a gauge of some sort, maybe oil temp. Going to custom make a door for the dash, one that opens with the little arms similar to a standard.

And your bug will end up in the abortions thread. Laughing
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you will be ahead in the game if you just locate a different car and pass that super on over to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.
CassiCruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

I'm working on a similar project. How did yours come out?

We almost have it ready to paint.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

Just buy this

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CassiCruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

Finished some of the project. Did get the dash put back in after stripping and painting it. Still have to figure out the glove box, ash tray, and vents, but we like it.
Looks way better than the padding.

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

You know, if you could find some place that could spray it with krinkle paint it might look pretty sharp.

In any event, you will want the top of dash painted grey or black, because it is going to reflect like crazy into the windshield on sunny days.
CassiCruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

Drove it all last summer without any issues (no glare at all). Everyone loves the way it looks.

Still not completely happy with the center vent, since the original cover won't fit. Been looking around junk yard, but haven't found anything that will fit yet.

Putting a radio in was troublesome though. Without the padding I had to create a new plate to attach the bracket. Had to be really careful with the metal between the radio and vent holes because it's thin and easily bent.
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

I went off the deep end and did a '61 Dash Conversion.
Call me CRAZY! Shocked Shocked

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Dashboard? Reply with quote

Nice job! That's a long way to reach through to the back of the speedometer or radio though Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: