Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One piece windows back to stock ??'s
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: One piece windows back to stock ??'s Reply with quote

I just purchased a unfinished 1970 project. Everything on the car is exactly what I want except the one piece windows the PO has partially installed. The car was a body off, powder coated pan, everything new, nice done paint. I don't have any instructions or info about the window kit. I have read all of the horror stories on here about them. Just wondering if it is at all possible to switch back or make them right. I have a few questions.

-What pieces are cut off the stock door when installing the one piece kit?? I searched the gallery, but couldn't find any.

-Is there any way to tell what brand I have so I can maybe get instructions??

-The seals around the top of the door frame are screwed in place. This seems to work well, but is it correct?? The lower seals at the front of the door by the mirror don't fit at all. Does something need to be done here??

I also have a '70 parts car I can use to switch back if possible. If the cutting has been done inside the door, I don't mind welding it back on, as long as it isn't too close to the new paint.

I don't mind the way the one piece looks. The car has been de-chromed, and I want the cal-look. I would leave them if I can make sure they are installed correctly and not a pain in the ass for a daily driver.

Any help would be appreciated.
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PO wasn't a total hack, he hopefully left in the metal tabs in the window opening. When installing the one piece kits, you have the option to cut those tabs off, or just bend them down out of the way. They should be located by where the vertical part of the vent window frame sits in the window opening. As far as the screws holding in the seals at the top of the door frame, there are suppose to be some clips that fit on the backside of the seal that keep it in place in the window frame. The lower seals by the mirror are IMO what's wrong with all these kits. They don't follow the contour of the window opening and let in water and dirt. The only way around that is to make a series of cuts to the lower part of the seals and scrapers, through the metal strip inside the rubber, and bend those parts of the seals and scrapers to the same contour as the curve of the window. Then you have to use some sealant or silicone to hold that part of the seal and scraper to the inside of the window opening. Some business could make some money if they came up with some seals and scrapers for one piece windows that incorporated that curve!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily to just use other non cut doors....

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut1 wrote:
If the PO wasn't a total hack, he hopefully left in the metal tabs in the window opening. When installing the one piece kits, you have the option to cut those tabs off, or just bend them down out of the way. They should be located by where the vertical part of the vent window frame sits in the window opening. As far as the screws holding in the seals at the top of the door frame, there are suppose to be some clips that fit on the backside of the seal that keep it in place in the window frame. The lower seals by the mirror are IMO what's wrong with all these kits. They don't follow the contour of the window opening and let in water and dirt. The only way around that is to make a series of cuts to the lower part of the seals and scrapers, through the metal strip inside the rubber, and bend those parts of the seals and scrapers to the same contour as the curve of the window. Then you have to use some sealant or silicone to hold that part of the seal and scraper to the inside of the window opening. Some business could make some money if they came up with some seals and scrapers for one piece windows that incorporated that curve!

Thank you for the excellent description. I will do some more digging and see what I have to work with. If I could get them to seal up good I wouldn't mind keeping them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:

The car was just painted inside and out, and the parts car doors a rough.
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the proper 2-point-lift regulator is used they work ok

My baja came with one-piece windows with single-point regulators and it was miserable.
all the usual shit, palming the glass on rollup, etc.

A guy gave me a set of doors with the 2-point regulators which I put in my doors. fixed it

the only drawback is that the 2-point reg loops behind the factory speaker cutout, limiting depth to less than an inch

Can't remember the exact year range for the regulator. Mid 60s

Ah, here's a link i found to a nice 1-piece article. Very nice window rubber install: http://members.shaw.ca/sharkeysgarage/scaffold.html
joecoolman16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the one pice and i hate em my drivers side is fine but the other side eats the frunt of seal and makes me want to put a bullet in my head
flierbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vent windows direct air into the car on hot days, without air conditioning the air is good.
On my car the po had tried to install one piece windows and they were a mess.
It is easy to install the wing windows.
good luck,
Bob
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what sort of climate you're in.
Inland aus where there is zero percent humidity smokers windows are horrible, all they did in mine was direct hot air like a hair drier onto me but here on the coast its very refreshing

To the people saying swap the doors.....WTF Rolling Eyes

Its piss easy to change from one piece back to stock, I've done it on two cars now

The only mod thats done to the doors to fit 1 piece windows is removing the check rod and cutting the tab between the outter and inner skins

whilst that tab does contribute to a small amount of door strength its not critical.
All I did was bolt the stock hardware back in, you wouldn't know any different
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
that's exactly what I would do!
George Evans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a missing set of tabs not just be pop riveted back in lace? If the OP finds them missing..
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
werksberg wrote:
that's exactly what I would do!

Brian_e wrote:
werksberg wrote:

The car was just painted inside and out, and the parts car doors are rough.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the tabs. Just bolt the original vent window parts back in. Done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

I have to agree.
Fe2O3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Depends what sort of climate you're in.
Inland aus where there is zero percent humidity smokers windows are horrible, all they did in mine was direct hot air like a hair drier onto me but here on the coast its very refreshing

Its piss easy to change from one piece back to stock, I've done it on two cars now

The only mod thats done to the doors to fit 1 piece windows is removing the check rod and cutting the tab between the outter and inner skins

whilst that tab does contribute to a small amount of door strength its not critical.
All I did was bolt the stock hardware back in, you wouldn't know any different

Agree, just bolt the stock stuff back in place. The little tab is negligible, IMO.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked under the half installed seal, and the tabs seem to be cut off with a pair of wire cutters or something. I think I will abort the one piece kit and stick the stock stuff back in without the tabs.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Brian
joecoolman16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are the tabs for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: