Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cable brake information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

I'm redoing a Zwitter Standard, looking for the dust boot that goes between the brake cable sheathing and the backing plates. Any tips or sources?
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge there is no such item, see parts illustration here ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/753183.jpg

Item 26 is a metal sleeve if that's what you have seen.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

I removed the boots that were on the car, stamped VW. Part number 111.711.115 which references to a Gear Shift Boot. So, I'm guessing some mechanic used these boots as an upgrade to keep dirt out of the cable/backing plate. They do seem to fit really well.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

It sound as though someone had a brilliant idea many years ago although somewhat irrelevant now perhaps as most of us don't use our cars in poor road conditions where water would be a problem entering the cable ends / back-plates.

Never the less you have found out what was used and can no doubt source new ones should you wish. An idea for others to copy as well maybe.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Um that’s not a dust boot that’s part of the adjuster for the cables. It’s a threaded sleeve and what the nut locks against to retain the cable adjustment. Whoever tossed a shift boot on it had no idea what they were doing when it came to cable brakes lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
Um that’s not a dust boot that’s part of the adjuster for the cables. It’s a threaded sleeve and what the nut locks against to retain the cable adjustment. Whoever tossed a shift boot on it had no idea what they were doing when it came to cable brakes lol.

Perhaps they did and thought it a good idea to keep the wet and dirt out. Remember that these cars were not always driven in perfect conditions!

a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
a1steaksauce wrote:

Perhaps they did and thought it a good idea to keep the wet and dirt out. Remember that these cars were not always driven in perfect conditions!

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Looks like I better go and put boots on the schwimmers and kubels because this is an utter necessity Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
rod_vw wrote:
a1steaksauce wrote:

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Looks like I better go and put boots on the schwimmers and kubels because this is an utter necessity Rolling Eyes

Glad to see you still around and have your since of humor Steaksauce!!! Very Happy
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

This Standard Zwitter was delivered to the British Army, so perhaps a motorpool mechanic thought it was a wise upgrade to add to these vehicles which likely saw some rough usage. It may not be original, but it is cool to see these. I found remnants of these shifter boots on all 4 wheels.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
This Standard Zwitter was delivered to the British Army, so perhaps a motorpool mechanic thought it was a wise upgrade to add to these vehicles which likely saw some rough usage. It may not be original, but it is cool to see these. I found remnants of these shifter boots on all 4 wheels.

So you’re telling me that kubels and schwimmers never saw rough useage or were exposed to the elements? Lol ok then. Guess the German engineers that designed the schwimmers were complete morons for not putting these on the cable braking systems...omg the elements! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Some idiot who had no clue what they were doing put those boots on. They would do pretty much nothing for helping to keep elements out of the braking system. Especially considering that ‘elements’ were already getting in from the space between the drum and backing plate. Also to daily drive a vehicle with cable brakes is a pita at times given that sometimes they require more adjustments than a hydro system. So having easy access to adjustment points is key. But please do continue to argue the point as it’s hilarious.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

wow, someone is cranky.
Zwitter UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

My front cables don't have Zerks. Does anyone know how I grease them?

Thanks
Zwit
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

sled wrote:
wow, someone is cranky.

Hey now, they were on my lawn Laughing

Zwitter UK wrote:

Thanks
Zwit

If your system is together I don’t have an easy answer for you, sorry.

With the system apart we use to take the front of the cable and jerry rig up something with duct tape to the grease gun to force grease thru the sheath. We would also use a marine grade grease in the hopes it would last a bit longer lol.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
Mr. OGPaint wrote:

So you’re telling me that kubels and schwimmers never saw rough useage or were exposed to the elements? Lol ok then. Guess the German engineers that designed the schwimmers were complete morons for not putting these on the cable braking systems...omg the elements! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Some idiot who had no clue what they were doing put those boots on. They would do pretty much nothing for helping to keep elements out of the braking system. Especially considering that ‘elements’ were already getting in from the space between the drum and backing plate. Also to daily drive a vehicle with cable brakes is a pita at times given that sometimes they require more adjustments than a hydro system. So having easy access to adjustment points is key. But please do continue to argue the point as it’s hilarious.

No one is arguing any point, it was conceded early after my initial question that these boots aren’t originally used in this application. I do find it interesting that someone has added these as a period modification...that is all. No one is arguing that it’s necessary. The only argument seems to be one that you are imagining. I come here for help, and to be helpful if possible. Why are you here....to argue? To be rude? To call people names? I don’t appreciate your negativity

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Zwitter UK wrote:

Thanks
Zwit

I recently replaced front cables with the BBT replacements, which do include the zerks on the front sheaths. They were a very reasonable price of $30 each from CIP1.com and the replacement was quite simple. Another option could be to remove your cables and grease them manually. Good luck
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Why are you here....to argue? To be rude? To call people names? I don’t appreciate your negativity

Lol, cry much? Or are you just upset that you have to pump your own gas finally? Laughing I could care less what you “appreciate”. get over yourself. And never did I call you or the other person in this thread names. I merely insulted the original person who was clueless enough to put those boots on in the first place. Reading comprehension, try it, it’s nice.

You two were proven wrong about having the boots and their advantages then you tried to backpedal and again were proven wrong. now you’re back for a third time whining about words which weren’t even directed at you, hilarious.

I am here because I’m one of the few people that’s into both sides of the aisle be it kdf vehicles and regular vws, likewise i work on both. The overwhelming majority of kdf owners own no vws. You never really see any kubels or schwimmers at vw shows even though they’re plenty running around stateside. It’s a divide that most vw people don’t understand. So with that said I only run my mouth when I can back it up with experience. Am I possibly rude or arrogant sounding? Heck yeah, I know this. Do I care? Nope. I’m not here to make sure everyone’s feelings are all warm and fuzzy or win any popularity contests. I’m here to point out that those boots are a dumb idea that offer no additional protection and are pretty much a nuisance on cars with cable brakes.
Zwitter UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Zwitter UK wrote:

Thanks
Zwit

I recently replaced front cables with the BBT replacements, which do include the zerks on the front sheaths. They were a very reasonable price of $30 each from CIP1.com and the replacement was quite simple. Another option could be to remove your cables and grease them manually. Good luck

Many thanks Patrick. I didn't know BBT stocked them so that's useful info. Very Happy
JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
Am I possibly rude or arrogant sounding? Heck yeah, I know this. Do I care? Nope.

This part is the Steaksauce I have come to know for years now here, and several other forums. I still don't think he ever turns any wrenches , but he likes to talk about it. Laughing

Do you still have the Bay you were cutting and piecing back together, or the oval? I am not online as much as I used to be.

back on subject, I am making a little time to finally pull the rear drums on my split, I know both axle nuts have no cotter pins and are loose. They were that way when I first brought it home. I hope all the parts for the rear cable break assembly are in there! Pray It does not have these controversial dust boots.
This thread has been a lot of help with my limited knowledge of the cable brake system.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:

Lol, cry much? Or are you just upset that you have to pump your own gas finally? Laughing I could care less what you “appreciate”. get over yourself. And never did I call you or the other person in this thread names. I merely insulted the original person who was clueless enough to put those boots on in the first place. Reading comprehension, try it, it’s nice.

You two were proven wrong about having the boots and their advantages then you tried to backpedal and again were proven wrong. now you’re back for a third time whining about words which weren’t even directed at you, hilarious.

I am here because I’m one of the few people that’s into both sides of the aisle be it kdf vehicles and regular vws, likewise i work on both. The overwhelming majority of kdf owners own no vws. You never really see any kubels or schwimmers at vw shows even though they’re plenty running around stateside. It’s a divide that most vw people don’t understand. So with that said I only run my mouth when I can back it up with experience. Am I possibly rude or arrogant sounding? Heck yeah, I know this. Do I care? Nope. I’m not here to make sure everyone’s feelings are all warm and fuzzy or win any popularity contests. I’m here to point out that those boots are a dumb idea that offer no additional protection and are pretty much a nuisance on cars with cable brakes.

I am so thankful for you help on this thread A1Steaksauce. Thank you for helping all of us so much. I’ve reread this thread from the beginning and I just want to apologize so completely to you personally for any implication of anything other than complete deference to you in every way. I could not possibly be more thankful for your help and hope that you offer so much more of it in the future. Thank you personally from me, and if possible I would like to thank you for your online contributions on behalf of the entire Volkswagen community.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cable brake information Reply with quote

JWDII wrote:
back on subject, I am making a little time to finally pull the rear drums on my split, I know both axle nuts have no cotter pins and are loose. They were that way when I first brought it home. I hope all the parts for the rear cable break assembly are in there! Pray It does not have these controversial dust boots.
This thread has been a lot of help with my limited knowledge of the cable brake system.

Let me know if you’re missing anything. We have some spare parts for rears floating around.

Oh and I finished the bay and sold it. The oval was just languishing around not getting used so I sold that to a friend and it now gets driven quite often. They love it. Just busy with other work related things; happy to report another kubel will soon be back on the road again better than ever.

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
sarcasm

I see what you did there.

I’d like to say we could just talk about it at the upcoming kubel korp event but we both know you won’t be there Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: