Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Life is good
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Life is good Reply with quote

When I purchased my buggy, I became the third owner, not counting the original bug owner.
Now I don't know when the donor bug became a dune buggy, but the original buggy owner sold it to the second owner in 2011. He held it until 12/2023 when I bought it.
So, I'm going to assume the transformation from Bug to Buggy made the buggy look spectacular: Sparkly orange gelcoat, smooth running engine, neat clean interior...
Then, it wore a bit, got broke in and lost some shine.... The second owner started bring her back with new wheels, complete rebuild of the engine and transmission, upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes, new coil over rear shocks and some new wiring.
Then I come along with plans for new metal flake orange paint, new upholstery, and, in my opinion...upgraded electronic ignition.
So, four lives so far and hopefully this one brings it back to its original buggy glory.
And then what? How many lives does a buggy have?
Another 6 weeks before I can really get started on my restoration projects. Until then, I'm closely following other Samba members as they work on their restorations. L!ife is good.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

I don't know exactly why I like working on these things. There are plenty of other projects I could spend time on. People smile when they see a old bus, or bug, or one of these Manx type buggies. I think people just associate these cars with fun. And fun is the best thing to have.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

I don't know exactly why I like working on these things. There are plenty of other projects I could spend time on. People smile when they see a old bus, or bug, or one of these Manx type buggies. I think people just associate these cars with fun. And fun is the best thing to have.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

Fun, I agree. The few times I have been able to take the buggy out for a ride, I've had people beep horns, wave, come up and ask questions....all very happy to see the buggy!
I hope we all can do our best to keep people smiling!
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

My project car is nearing done. That will make two toys, a trike and a kit car. At 63 I am not far from retiring and having time to use them .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

That trike is a trip.....My Buggy is nearing completion also. I'm planning to drive it to Austin, Texas (200 miles one way) with my wife and go to the every 3rd thursday VW meet-up at the Top Notch Drive In (Dazed and Confused movie set) And, drive it around the Hill Country of Texas and look at the Bluebonnet flowers. Eat some BBQ and drink Shiner beer too.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

This is the history of ours as far as I know. Built from a '73 Beetle and first registered for the street in '76. The original owner passed away sometime around 2005/2006 and the car sat in the garage for 10 years. The fellow I bought it from in 2017 got it from the widow and did what was needed to get it running, registered it and sold it to me as ready to drive.

Since then we have driven it over much of western Canada and the list of repairs and upgrades continues.

Larger more visible tail lights.
Horn.
Rear view mirror on the windshield.
Much time spent tuning for better drivability.
Thermostat and flaps. (see above)
4 into one exhaust to replace duals.
Replaced the dusted (bad air cleaners) 1600 DP with a type 4 engine.
Removed Kadrons for Webers.
New proper dual exhaust system.
Repaired broken and misaligned steering column.
New tires.
Front disc brakes.

The biggest upgrade is in progress now which involves replacing the worn swing axle transmission with a late model IRS Beetle transaxle using 944 control arms and rear disc brakes. This also includes ditching the GM wheels and adaptors in favor of Porsche Fuchs and another set of new tires. It will be on the road again in a few weeks.

Will it be finished? No, are these Buggies ever finished? Rolling Eyes

Looking forward to many more miles of smiles and sharing this car with our children and grandchildren!

As purchased.

Before the last upgrade.

As enjoyed.

Well, you get the idea! Life is good when viewed from a Buggy! Looking forward to more good years.
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

@oprn...Wonderful history and a great looking buggy!!!! I can't wait till my wife and I can go out and enjoy our buggy like you have!

@rugblaster... I love the color of that buggy! Very close to what I see on Sandy.... Post a short video of that motor running...Damn that looks good!

I'm SO jealous of all the members here that are turning wrenches, sanding and in general upgrading the rides. I have 6 to 8 weeks to go before I can start doing that to Sandy. She is currently at our winter getaway in South Georgia and I have no place to work on her there. But at the end of April or so....Sandy gets towed to NC where she will have my attention every day!!!!

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Life is good Reply with quote

I really enjoyed building them because of their simplicity and because it was easy to jut stop at any time along the way and pick it up later/ Plus the build times were relatively short allowing for a lot of quick "victories".

I think I built 4 of them over s very short period of time.

I REALLY wish I would have kept my orange Manx and my blue Deserter. They would have filled my garage nicely.

I wonder where they all are now. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: