Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

48 id...F's
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: 48 id...F's Reply with quote

Are they the bastard child of the Weber family or what? Anyone running them or have experience working with them? Can you still get kits for them and what parts fit them jet and vent wise.

brad
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them all the time. You can buy them new, and jets are the same as the 40's and 44's. I've even got a pair on my street car that were modified by JayCee, and they outflow IDA's.....much more compact, and the progression circuits are much nicer than IDA's.
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Mohr wrote:
I use them all the time. You can buy them new, and jets are the same as the 40's and 44's. I've even got a pair on my street car that were modified by JayCee, and they outflow IDA's.....much more compact, and the progression circuits are much nicer than IDA's.

What did JayCee Ent. modify to the carbs?
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48IDF's (or Dell 48DRLA's) are hardly the bastard child. A bit more civilised (more progression holes), a bit easier to work with as far as parts and linkage being universal to the IDF family, a little easier to fit into certain engine compartments and a bit less costly than IDA's.

But Weber 48IDA's will forever be "THE" carbs to bolt on to air cooled VW engines.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IDA's rebuilt at ACE worked great at the Flats. I had a smaller engine in a heavier car but the carbs made great use of the flow that the heads provided and the Ghia was fast.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Britt,

I have a chance to pick up a set of IDF's pretty cheap, so that's why I'm considering it. These will go on my new motor, a 2332, Street Eliminator heads, FK?? 10:1 comp. and go into the Beetle I'm planning and gathering parts for right now.

Ya, your car was flyin' at Bonneville this year, till that little problem with the carb manifold Crying or Very sad What were the specs on that motor Britt? Sure sounded good!!!

brad
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're an EMPI fan, you might consider the 48 IDA knockoffs. I'm sure they're cheap.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any part or kit for any Weber carb can be found here...

http://www.piercemanifolds.com

Mike is major west coast (US) dealer...

I ran a a pair of 48IDF's on a 2180 for a while and they tuned just the same as a 44 IDF..... Only problem my cam and compression ratio was a little light for carb size, dropped back to a set of 44IDF's and engine ran better, but that may be just my engine...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
Since you're an EMPI fan, you might consider the 48 IDA knockoffs. I'm sure they're cheap.

I'm not an EMPI fan, I'm a fan of parts that work, do the job I want them to and save me money. Those pr the 51.5's are my second choice. They're not cheap, but they're cheaper. They're still over a thousand bucks here in Canada, add another 50% for "real" Webers

brad
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 48 IDF's. I have a 2276 with FK-44 cam and DRD level 7 heads. I actually tried a nice set of IDAs to compare and while they look and sound cool, I sold the IDAs went back to the 48 IDF's. Just by the seat of the pants test the 48 IDF's made similar/comparable power. Of course ever combo and case is different and I was strictly street.
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bodies are bored, the butterflies are 49mm, the stacks are from 50mm DCOE's, and the vents are now 45mm.They flow almost as good as 51.5's according to BERG's flow bench....it depends on the vents....
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Mohr wrote:
The bodies are bored, the butterflies are 49mm, the stacks are from 50mm DCOE's, and the vents are now 45mm.They flow almost as good as 51.5's according to BERG's flow bench....it depends on the vents....

Thanks for the reply. Now I have some options to consider as I have a set just sitting that needs to be rebuilt. Original plan was to rebuild it and sell it, now maybe not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: