Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are the features of an Early 67 compared to later 67?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricky.santillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: What are the features of an Early 67 compared to later 67? Reply with quote

Encountered a bug I am interested in that according to its numbers is a 67 (117 vin code) with what appears is a matching 1500. According to the Samba dating it is dated as an Aug 66 made bug. Question is shouldn't they have non-upright headlights? This one does. What other tell tale signs should date it as an early 67?

Thanks.
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am only familiar with USA models. All of those had upright headlights in 67. I think the master cylinder changed during 67. The early dual circuit ones had the small tubes from resevoir, I think. The front seat backs had the release to fold forward moved up on the side (like later high back seats) late in the production year. There are probably other changes that I can't think of.
ricky.santillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
Well I am only familiar with USA models. All of those had upright headlights in 67. I think the master cylinder changed during 67. The early dual circuit ones had the small tubes from resevoir, I think. The front seat backs had the release to fold forward moved up on the side (like later high back seats) late in the production year. There are probably other changes that I can't think of.

Mechanical stuff? Like brakes? Suspension?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814 Plenty of reading on the cherished 67's.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa had upright 68 style headlights. you have a non usa 67. yours probably is still 6 volt. 1200 and 1300 engines in standard beetle while 1500 non usa deluxe would have disc brakes on front and 4 lug wheels.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky.santillan wrote:
vwsteve wrote:

I don't think much changed from early 67 (beginning 8-1-1966) to late 67 (ending 7-31-1967). A lot a things make 67 unique, but I thought you was asking what changed within the 67 model year.
joemac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 1967 was a year of many changes, there were a number of oddball cars built that year.
I've seen/owned cars that were a combination of leftover parts from '66 as well as the aforementioned disk brakes and 4 lug wheels.

A friend of my sister had a '67 "European" Bug that had disks, locking steering, '66 style headlights, yet a '67 decklid and apron. It was originally a six-Volt car. but the regulator was mounted under the rear seat, as was the practice with the twelve-Volt cars. The front floor never had the accelerator pedal mounted there: it had the later style mounted to the cast aluminum base.
The car had the original 1500 engine, but with the unusual '66 Ghia flywheel/starter.
The bell housing was the correct size for a twelve Volt flywheel. (We converted to 12V.) The trans never had the Z-bar, unusual for a '67.
The car also had rare factory-installed dual horns, with the relay, as used in Ghias.
The decklid had the VW 1500 insignia.

Late production USA-bound cars had different bumper tubes.
The front was slightly bowed out and the rears were slanted from the bumper guard to the middle. After all stock of the earlier types were used up, this was the only replacement bumper you could buy from VW.
This is why you sometimes see these newer style bumpers on earlier cars: they had been replaced with authentic German VW-supplied bumpers.

The front seat release changed sometime in the middle of the year. I've seen as many with the '65-67 style as the later types.
signtrash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: 67 euro 1500 Reply with quote

I just posted some pix of my 67 euro 1500 the other day, would be glad to answer ?'s about what it does/doesn't have.I also would appreciate any input.It's in the gallery under 67 euro 1500.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
ricky.santillan wrote:
vwsteve wrote:

I don't think much changed from early 67 (beginning 8-1-1966) to late 67 (ending 7-31-1967). A lot a things make 67 unique, but I thought you was asking what changed within the 67 model year.

not many changes from early to mid to late 67's you are saying????

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the can of worms is now officially open.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricky.santillan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay maybe be better to ask. What are the things that make the 67 unique and was it true all through the 67 or VIN 117 range?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Try here, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814 Plenty of reading on the cherished 67's.

Again try the sticky link above. Its titled Arrow "School me on the 1967 one year only stuff" You will learn a lot about the 67's.
Usually and often edited
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
vwsteve wrote:
ricky.santillan wrote:
vwsteve wrote:

not many changes from early to mid to late 67's you are saying????

Well I can't think of many, not for USA models anyway. What are some? I am no expert, it's just that I've had 6 or so 67's and don't remember many differences between them. I know they are way different from 66 and 68, but that wasn't the question.
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Please use this thread so we have all the 67 information there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: