Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Looks like to me you're trying to put the new metal ring over an old one! I don't think I've ever seen a collar or anything protrouding from the CV joint like that.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Sure you didn't buy Type 1 boots?
Ksprague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Aha! That must be it. I thought that collar was part of the CV joint and I guess it's part of the boot. Apparently the PO thought the same thing - and that explains why there was a gap there, and a LOT of grease.

Thanks folks

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began."
~ Bob Weir
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Update on my previous posts in this thread.

The GKN Lobro CV boot fitted in August 2015 failed. It lasted 18 months:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The three genuine VW made in Germany CV boots described on page 9 of this thread (newly manufactured, not NOS) are going strong.

I have therefore replaced the failed GKN Lobro with a genuine VW boot.

As last time, the box has sell by date:

Something I did not pick up on is that for these newly produced genuine VW boots, there are actually three part numbers.

As well as 211 598 201 (T2 part number) and 251 598 201 (being the T3/T25/Vanagon part number) on the box, imprinted into the boot alongside the VW-Audi logo is the part number 211 501 151B.

Which matches these gallery images and part number archived by Tcash, of a boot from 1970:

Tcash wrote:

NOS 211 501 151 Axle Boots 08 Feb. 1970

When you google part number 201 501 151B, a couple more pictures of the rubber part of the boot missing the flange come up - why no flange? :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22211-501-151B%...01+151B%22

I will keep you posted on how the new German VW ones hold up (if they are made by GKN as the original equipment manufacturer for VW, they are very different in style to a standard GKN Lobro boot). They have the mottled rubber effect etc,. so look like the old ones. I'm hoping they last a long time.

A wild guess as to why VW have started have them made again to their OE specification, is maybe the official renovation facility in Hanover got fed up with cr*p boots? : https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/maintaini...ion-centre
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)

Last edited by chimneyfish on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Where did you source them? Has anyone located these on this side of the pond?
(sold - but not forgotten)
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, the T4/Eurovan inner CV boots I got from a seller on ebay.de last year have a boot clamped to the flange, not permamently crimped setup like the Bus. And one of them popped off the flange during installation due to the stiff plastic-y material it was made of (the other one is supple rubber), so it's getting replaced with Lobro for now and probably EMPI when it fails.

I've had no trouble with EMPI boots .. unlike most everything else EMPI that I've used.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Where did you source them? Has anyone located these on this side of the pond?

In the UK they are supplied by VW Heritage, as they are the licensed VW Classic Parts distributor here, I don't know who the distributor is for the USA.

Link here:

https://www.vwheritage.com/bay-bus/bay-bus-1968-79...p=772&

As said, these are German VW, not Brazilian.

At GB £33.50 a boot they are expensive, but hopefully they will pay for themselves. I want to spend more time driving my bus than laying underneath it! Hopefully the extra cost will enable that - fingers crossed!

You get the boot, the correct 90 grams of moly grease and the circlip in the box:

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Just to bring this to the top, has anyone tried the Ford boots? Would love to see a report on them.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: torque on boots Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
motiheal wrote:
I am installing these (a good German brand) and cannot figure out how to torque the small screws. It seems pretty easy to overtighten them. The rubber has grooves, like a built-in gasket. Anyone know this? The instructions are in German, and I guess the info is right there, but can anyone translate to just common-sense language here? Thanks, John

Those will fail in a very short time with the seam to the top, if you don't want to do that job again soon turn them so it's horizontal. Wink

As for torque, tighten until the rubber just barely begins to deform around the screw.

Does anyone know if they make these "split style" Cv boots for bay window busses?? I just finished the whole Cv rebuild/ boot job and 200 miles later one ripped.. Not stoked on pulling it back off and redoing that joint..
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: torque on boots Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
Does anyone know if they make these "split style" Cv boots for bay window busses?? I just finished the whole Cv rebuild/ boot job and 200 miles later one ripped.. Not stoked on pulling it back off and redoing that joint..

Many years ago I asked around about such a product by posting, calling and emailing. The uniform answer was "no".
If there is one I'd love to hear about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: torque on boots Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

Many years ago I asked around about such a product by posting, calling and emailing. The uniform answer was "no".

they used to make one that was designed as an emergency repair kind of boot. Maybe this fellow has one that will work. http://stores.ebay.com/CV-Restoration/Automotive-Split-CV-Boot-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=16
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: torque on boots Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

Damn. That's a huge bummer. I see how these style boots are "inferior" I just didn't love doing the cvs and am not exciting for round 2.
Thanks anyway
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: torque on boots Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

they used to make one that was designed as an emergency repair kind of boot. Maybe this fellow has one that will work. http://stores.ebay.com/CV-Restoration/Automotive-Split-CV-Boot-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=16

Seems risky, I'll check it out if I get motivated. Thank you!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone ever try these? Very Happy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OE-Solutions-Uni-Fit-C...lsrc=aw.ds
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Also wondering what you would end up if you ordered these..?

For $65 ea. you'd be pissed to end up getting sent a GKN.
Two-year warranty! Razz

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1017/POR_1017_SUSAXL_pg2.htm#item6

What’s That Noise?!?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post on two different threads, but CV boot quality is a hot topic Very Happy

See for a possible way to source decent and/or OEM boots:

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

So, quite possibly I may have found an answer. Bear with me though, my reasoning is fairly sound, but requires an open mind Laughing

Cross referencing an major aftermarket CV axle manufactuer "Surtrak-Trakmotive" who is kind enough to actually give out this information about what size/fastening/holes/ etc for the drive shafts......

So....the CV joint & boot is a "100mm 6 hole bolt on" for the rear CV axles on VW Bus/Vanagon.....so that is what we want.
See here:
1983-1991 VW Vanagon

1968-1979 VW Bus

Okay....So again "100mm 6 hole bolt on"

Looky dis:

I know, it's not the same shaft...BUT LOOK AT THAT INNER CV JOINT/BOOT

"100mm 6 hole bolt on" Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Do you wanna know what that goes to??!?!?

Yes?! Well okay then, here's the listing of what that inner CV boot fits Wink

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE 1998-2006
VOLKSWAGEN CC 2009-2016
VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2001-2013
VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2000-2015
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 2006-2008
VOLKSWAGEN R32 2008
VOLKSWAGEN RABBIT 2006-2009
VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2009-2017

So one option is to buy VW OEM boots for any of the above cars.

You would be ordering the "Front, inner" boot and/or CV joint.

Seems that the VW part # is 1K0498201

Some possible sources which lists these boots as 'in stock' as of the time of this post:

https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=1K0498201
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/5173306/1K0498201.html
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=1K0498201

Hope this helps!

Happy Bus'n guys Very Happy

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

So are the following the best option?

GKN: 302255 (complete kit) same as Spidan 22407

also sold separate;
Boot: GKN: 300481 same as Spidan 22451

Joint: GKN: 301137 same as Spidan 24915

any other options?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Sorry for the double post on two different threads, but CV boot quality is a hot topic Very Happy

See for a possible way to source decent and/or OEM boots:

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

So, quite possibly I may have found an answer. Bear with me though, my reasoning is fairly sound, but requires an open mind Laughing

Cross referencing an major aftermarket CV axle manufactuer "Surtrak-Trakmotive" who is kind enough to actually give out this information about what size/fastening/holes/ etc for the drive shafts......

So....the CV joint & boot is a "100mm 6 hole bolt on" for the rear CV axles on VW Bus/Vanagon.....so that is what we want.
See here:
1983-1991 VW Vanagon

1968-1979 VW Bus

Okay....So again "100mm 6 hole bolt on"

Looky dis:

I know, it's not the same shaft...BUT LOOK AT THAT INNER CV JOINT/BOOT

"100mm 6 hole bolt on" Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Do you wanna know what that goes to??!?!?

Yes?! Well okay then, here's the listing of what that inner CV boot fits Wink

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE 1998-2006
VOLKSWAGEN CC 2009-2016
VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2001-2013
VOLKSWAGEN JETTA 2000-2015
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 2006-2008
VOLKSWAGEN R32 2008
VOLKSWAGEN RABBIT 2006-2009
VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN 2009-2017

So one option is to buy VW OEM boots for any of the above cars.

You would be ordering the "Front, inner" boot and/or CV joint.

Some possible sources which lists these boots as 'in stock' as of the time of this post:

https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=1K0498201
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/5173306/1K0498201.html
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=1K0498201

Hope this helps!

Happy Bus'n guys Very Happy

Anyone tried buying one of these yet? Interesting to know the difference between these and T2 CV boots. Maybe the small end is a different diameter?
vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:

This looks ok BUT, they cost about $30+ each genuine from VW and or online Crying or Very sad .

GKN/ Lobro/ Spidan (All same company) also make this boot, and probably even for VW) im not 100% on that though??

I went with the: Boot: GKN/LOBRO: 300481 same as Spidan 22451 for $6 each.

any body else have any experience with these?
vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: