Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I guess watch here for updates:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9438930#9438930

Sorry got confusing with the guy from UK posting about the ones he picked up in UK.

So these are the boots/part number you bought and are using. Looks like these are NLA from dealers (at least online) as well...Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Yeah, that's it.

I think there are regulations for how long manufacturers have to make parts be available, but maybe that doesn't apply. Perhaps it's a covid-related shortage and will come back to availablity?

Other online retailers list it available.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Yeah, that's it.

I think there are regulations for how long manufacturers have to make parts be available, but maybe that doesn't apply. Perhaps it's a covid-related shortage and will come back to availablity?

Other online retailers list it available.

Well...you have the DOT reg....that states that unique or specific parts must be manufactured for 10 years after the stopping o production of a model. That was way back when. I am not sure how its worded now.

It may not be stocked...but have you tried to order it from VW?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Hi, all. About a year ago I redid CVs and used an EMPI 4-pack of boots, not the ones that came with a complete axle or rebuild kit, but just the boots. I've done about 3000 miles on them, hot interstate driving and 1st-gear dirt roads, too. Used the red grease from JBugs and new GKM Lobro joints from AutohausAZ. Just a progress report, knowing that some boots have failed by now.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

OEM VW CV Boots FAQs

#1 Are these really available?
Yes, they are. Online VW parts departments, your local dealership, or even sometimes RockAuto will have them. You will likely need to look in multiple places online, or just call your local VW dealership and order a boot from them.
Quote:
Here's additional source(s) for the boot, if you would like to pursue the OEM VW boot option
Local VW dealership = “1K0498201” (“it’s for a 2012 VW Golf or Jetta”)
https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/search?search_str=%091K0498201
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/5173306/1K0498201.html
also, occasionally RockAuto will have OEM VW boots too
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=1K0498201
You have to watch the 'generation' of the part you get. Many alpha suffixes to that part number. We need the one WITHOUT an alpha suffix.

#2 Does that part ***REALLY*** fit our vehicles?
Yes. “Late” Bay windows & Vanagon rear axles and also (?inner?) front axle for Synchro(4WD)
Quote:
Syncro front CV

Rear Syncro/Vanagon/ "late" Bus

Here's the original post I made which walks through my parts-cross-reference-madness

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...40[/quote]
Measuring to compare “Type 2 boot” to “Jetta/Golf/Tiguan Boot”
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
If someone could please take high quality photos and measurements (boot end, flange end, sides) of an un-installed CV boot which is known to fit- I will replicate those photos and measurements on the "1K0498201" for direct comparison.

No hi-quality photos here, but got some measurements for two brands of used CVJ boots:

Lobro (left in photo):
ID of metal cap - 99.5-99.7 mm
ID of rubber small end - 22.6 mm
Overall length - 110.2 mm

Original VW (right in photo):
ID of metal cap - 99.3-99.7 mm
ID of rubber small end - 24.0 mm
Overall length - 103.5 mm

I'm back with the "1K0498201" boot in hand.

Measurements:
ID of metal cap: 99.0-99.75mm (<1mm vs OEM VW boot)
ID of rubber small end- 26mm (+2mm vs OEM VW boot)
Overall length- 103mm ( <1mm difference vs OEM boot)

Needless to say, it seems the "1K0498201" nearly identical to the OEM VW Type2/Vanagon boots.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#3 But, has anyone actually INSTALLED it onto their bus/Vanagon to prove it fits?
Yes. Vwwestyman has one installed already. Fit up just fine. Here’s his description of the fitments:
(New Jetta/Golf boot is left side in pic)

vwwestyman wrote:
I can say for certain that the stock VW part that you can get from a dealer right now, does fit. Beyond that it's hard to know, but I know it fits because it's on my Bus right now.

vwwestyman wrote:
I didn't measure the boot or the axle when I installed it. I can tell you it still needed to be stretched over the splines a little bit, and was slightly loose on the axle. It also needed to be slightly stretched over the ridge that is meant to hold the boot end in place.

So while slightly loose on the axle, it was easily clamped with the clamp provided in the box, and wasn't a large enough amount to have ended up looking like it was pinched or anything concerning at all. Was totally fine. I was/am confident that this wasn't/isn't any issue.

I think I saw someone in one of the Vanagon forums bought a set of the Tiguan boots, so hopefully soon there'll be more perspective to read.

Hope this helps!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

does anyone know if this is actually a fit for a 73 Bay or is the part number wrong? it says vanagon but I heard that they're the same for manuals?

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/GK-251501203GX
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

I think that the CVs and boots are the same as manual Vanagons, but the axle length may be different.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
does anyone know if this is actually a fit for a 73 Bay or is the part number wrong? it says vanagon but I heard that they're the same for manuals?

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/GK-251501203GX

The CV joints themselves are the same, though I would think the axle would be different lengths between a Bay and a Vanagon, because of the difference in track width.
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

thanks, thought I might've gotten lucky and could get an entire loebro axle but looks like im still rebuilding the ends if I want the quality ends+boots.

I have 3 og boots going strong after nearly 50 years but the one that was already torn when i bought it and was replaced with a Rockford boot but also tore - hardly any miles on it, but many years of sitting FWIW.

this time I think I'll go loebro or get the OEM Jetta/tiguan boots that were mentioned previously, though at nearly 40 bucks they're pretty dang expensive.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:

I have 3 og boots going strong after nearly 50 years but the one that was already torn when i bought it and was replaced with a Rockford boot but also tore - hardly any miles on it, but many years of sitting FWIW.

Wow!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

There is a whole thread focused on the VW Tiquan boot option......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745007

I've taken this step, yes they aren't the cheapest option but I'm hoping that this substitution is the best option.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

3+ years now. Boots (Rockford) still look great.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Well my Rockfords have failed. They seem to come apart where the rubber meets the flange. I have to pull the engine on my '72 for maintenance stuff anyway. So after reading everything I could on the Tiguan boots I'm going to order a set. I don't care if they are a bit pricey, if they last they will be worth every penny. Thanks to all involved with researching a viable alternative to the available crap that's out there. Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Well my Rockfords have failed. They seem to come apart where the rubber meets the flange. I have to pull the engine on my '72 for maintenance stuff anyway. So after reading everything I could on the Tiguan boots I'm going to order a set. I don't care if they are a bit pricey, if they last they will be worth every penny. Thanks to all involved with researching a viable alternative to the available crap that's out there. Very Happy

Rockford has changed their design, obviously not for the better.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Are the current EMPI CV boots any good. Anyone have and good or bad experiences with the current ones.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
Are the current EMPI CV boots any good. Anyone have and good or bad experiences with the current ones.

I am using EMPI boots that I installed 2 years ago. I’ve always had good luck with them and have had them last over 20,000 miles in the past. My two outer ones are showing signs of wear, some cracking, but the inner ones are fine. When these ones go, I’m gonna drop the money on the Tiquan ones. Seems like it’ll be $150 well spent.
’65 Deluxe Build
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

So do you think its design...or materials...or both that have changed?

Rockford has been a fave of the offroad guys for a while. I used to snoop a round a few offroad forums just to see what they were finding worked. Its been a while.

I am afraid to say anything positive about joints on my daily driver for fear they will hear me. The factory boots on my 2012 Golf just clicked over 210,000 miles yesterday and look great.

Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

The Rockfords used to use a clamp to hold the large end of the boot to its flange, but their recent production (or at least what is getting sold as Rockfords) crimps the metal flange to hold the boot like other brands.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

The Rockfords used to use a clamp to hold the large end of the boot to its flange, but their recent production (or at least what is getting sold as Rockfords) crimps the metal flange to hold the boot like other brands.

Hmmmm.....that might make one "think" that its now a totally different product.....lile same thing everyone else is selling (hopefully not).

One thing about boot to flange crimping.....or any kind of rubber boot crimp......its not that hard to screw up an otherwise good rubber part by overcrimping or not deburring. Ray
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: CV Boot Best Brand and Supplier FAQ Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:

Purchased when?

How many miles on them?

Purchased from where?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: