Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

type1abody wrote:
Started daily driving this in September, 50 miles a day round trip to work and is my primary car. 66, 1600dp. Great car!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^^^ That car is a runner!
I have spent many a mile looking it leading myself and another friend around the SW Washington, NW Oregon roadways.
Always a good time to get together with type1abody.

See ya soon buddy!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Final update for the originator of this thread, the ol 60 has been put out to pasture...literally. The bug is now full time at the ranch in WA and has finally got a roof over its head. Cruising the back roads of Rainer and trips to town are the only miles we will be putting on for the foreseeable future. The 1915 has 72K miles on it now and needs a refresh and probably an upgrade to 2276. Got some disk brakes for the front and debating putting on an old school select a drop beam. Gotta fix the wipers as on our first trip in the rain the motor quit on us. No big deal when in SoCal but in WA rainex wont cut it. Down to 1000 miles a year or less but not forgotten.

Ben53777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I am a Junior in High School and drive my '66 Bug to school and sports practices every day! (Unless mechanical problems happen)! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Since I have installed the new engine. I have been daily driving my 67 to and from work, weekdays. On weekends I drive to my son in laws ranch on
Saturday's for some hard work and great meals as pay.

I have been trying for the last three years to get these pics. The blossoms always get washed off the trees by the rain.
Not today! Cool

Have a great rest of the week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I've put about 1500 miles on the '66 since getting it out of storage in late March including a 300 mile round trip to Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa. Today while out driving around enjoying the warm, sunny spring afternoon, I had the second breakdown in over 7 years of driving the VW. I was accelerating away from a stop sign, hit a pothole, and the engine shuts off. Fortunately I was on a lightly travelled county road so I coasted onto the shoulder, got out and opened the hood. With how quick and suddenly the engine died I was pretty sure it had to be electrical. All the wiring was still connected and the connections were all tight. I tried cranking it again. Nothing. I got my test light out of my tool bag, tuned the ignition on and tested for power at the voltage regulator and coil positive and negative terminals. All had power. I kept the light on the negative terminal on the coil and rotated the engine. The light stayed on solid instead of going off and on with the opening and closing of the points. Bingo. Something is shorted out in the distributor. I took off the cap and removed the distributor from the engine to see it better. Turns out the black plastic plug that holds the condenser wire in the distributor body had popped loose and the connector for the points wire was touching the advance plate shorting it out. I pushed the black plug back in and put the distributor back in the engine. I turned the key and it cranked over but the engine still wouldn't start. I look back at the distributor and notice it is sticking up out of the case more than it should. ARGHH! I forgot to align the drive in my haste to get going again. I pulled it out, aligned the drive and reinstalled it again. I double checked the timing with my test light. This time it started right up and away I went. It is very satisfying to be able to diagnose and fix a breakdown in less than 20 minutes. Just one more reason I love driving my VW.

Last edited by supercub on Sun May 05, 2019 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Since I have installed the new engine. I have been daily driving my 67 to and from work, weekdays. On weekends I drive to my son in laws ranch on
Saturday's for some hard work and great meals as pay.

I have been trying for the last three years to get these pics. The blossoms always get washed off the trees by the rain.
Not today! Cool

Have a great rest of the week.

Very nice.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
I've put about 1500 miles on the '66 since getting it out of storage in late March including a 300 mile round trip to Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa. Today while out driving around enjoying the warm, sunny spring afternoon, I had the second breakdown in over 7 years of driving the VW. I was accelerating away from a stop sign, hit a pothole, and the engine shuts off. Fortunately I was on a lightly travelled county road so I coasted onto the shoulder, got out and opened the hood. With how quick and suddenly the engine died I was pretty sure it had to be electrical. All the wiring was still connected and the connections were all tight. I tried cranking it again. Nothing. I got my test light out of my tool bag, tuned the ignition on and tested for power at the voltage regulator and coil positive and negative terminals. All had power. I kept the light on the negative terminal on the coil and rotated the engine. The light stayed on solid instead of going off and on with the opening and closing of the points. Bingo. Something is shorted out in the distributor. I took off the cap and removed the distributor from the engine to see it better. Turns out the black plastic plug that holds the condenser wire in the distributor body had popped loose and the connector for the points wire was touching the advance plate shorting it out. I pushed the black plug back in and put the distributor back in the engine. I turned the key and it cranked over but the engine still wouldn't start. I look back at the distributor and notice it is sticking up out of the case more than it should. ARGHH! I forgot to align the drive in my haste to get going again. I pulled it out, aligned the drive and reinstalled it again. I double checked the timing with my test light. This time it started right up and away I went. It is very satisfying to be able to diagnose and fix a breakdown in less than 20 minutes. Just one more reason I love driving my VW.

Good show! For as well as you handled that, I'd call it less of a breakdown and more of a pop quiz on your troubleshooting knowledge. Applause

Wouldn't happen to have any pics from your journey to post up?
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Good show! For as well as you handled that, I'd call it less of a breakdown and more of a pop quiz on your troubleshooting knowledge. Applause

Wouldn't happen to have any pics from your journey to post up?

Sorry I don't. I haven't been so good about taking my camera out with me lately. I need to get some new pictures of the '66.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of the '66 from this morning. Still getting 30mpg with the '65 40hp and still a 10 on the satisfaction scale. The pictures are from the Scuppernong River Habitat Area in the Kettle Moraine State Forest, Wisconsin. It is a several thousand acre wet prairie with lots of marshy areas and spring fed streams rimmed by low wooded hills on 3 sides. Nearly all of it, as well as the surrounding hills, is public land open to exploring, though the bugs get horrific through most of the summer.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

@supercub
Looking good. Is that a new graphic I see on the hood?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
H...the bugs get horrific through most of the summer.

I see what you did there.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
@supercub
Looking good. Is that a new graphic I see on the hood?

Yeah I painted a spirally red and yellow sun on the hood to pass a few hours one cold, boring winter day. It now has bona-fide hippy cred HA!
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I had a bit of long weekend off from work this past week so I did a little road tripping around Wisconsin. In two days I drove the '66 over 500 trouble-free miles to Wildcat Mountain State Park in the hilly, unglaciated Driftless area and to Kohler-Andrea State Park on Lake Michigan. I recently replaced my broken pop out window hinges and latches with used goods from fellow Samba members. They work great now. Yesterday evening I re-fixed a previous fix to the driver's seat bottom pad so no more sore right butt cheek on long trips! I am driving out to California in mid September and am contemplating taking the Bug to relive the adventure of my 2013 trip, although I'll be starting from Wisconsin instead of Texas. Still racking up the miles on the daily commute as well.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I've been daily driving my 62 for the past 6 months, after almost a year of being out of air cooled VW's. I sold my 73, and about a year later got this 62 running.
I have an '04 TDI Jetta, an '88 Suzuki Samurai, and a 2017 Toyota Tacoma, all of which sit for weeks on end, while I commute 40 miles each way alternating between my motorcycle and the bug.
The bug has a 1600 single port, original transmission, stock height, 195/60/15 radial tires, and recovered seats. I have installed a seatbelt in the back for my kid's car seat.
I end up driving about 500 miles a week, getting about 27 mpg, and rarely get over 65 mph. The bug helps me get home from a stressful job each day with a better mood when I hit the driveway.

I'd like to get the transaxle rebuilt and regeared to 3.88 for a higher cruising speed, and maybe put my 1904 in it.
From there I'll just continue fixing it up, and one day I'll strip it down to the metal and have it painted the original green.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

The Ghiapet.

1970 Karmann Ghia.
Lifted 5”, General Grabber 205/75/15 tires, stock single port 1,600.
I try to make improvements to it daily, but at least twice a week & try to beat the hell out of it at least once a week.

Link

21,000 miles in a year, not all of it on paved roads.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Picked up my Bug about a month ago. Been working off some issues that have accumulated in the past 54 yrs. See it's an OG with only 15K miles. So some stuff need attention. I've got 100 miles on her since making her mine. I'm planning on driving her daily. I'm retired so she's my go around town girl.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

smeag wrote:

Picked up my Bug about a month ago. Been working off some issues that have accumulated in the past 54 yrs. See it's an OG with only 15K miles. So some stuff need attention. I've got 100 miles on her since making her mine. I'm planning on driving her daily. I'm retired so she's my go around town girl.

Congratulations! You’ll have a ball with it! I bought a ‘67 Beetle just before
I retired 3 years ago, and have had a lot of fun tinkering with it and driving it daily.

Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfe2221
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I'm 25, daily drive my 1974 beetle. I got it last December (2018) and drove it about 1,200 miles before the motor gave out. I got a 1641 long block from Portland off Craigslist and put about 6,000 miles on it before I put the original motor back in. I had it rebuilt with a 74mm crank and 90.5mm pistons for a 1904, Engle 110 camshaft, new heads with 40mm intake and 35.5mm, and dual IDF44s. I have about 4,000 miles on that motor now and it's been pretty fun. [/img]
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
smeag wrote:

Congratulations! You’ll have a ball with it! I bought a ‘67 Beetle just before
I retired 3 years ago, and have had a lot of fun tinkering with it and driving it daily.

Enjoy!

Hey FlFrank
This is my 5th Bug. After Hurricane Andrew blew my 70 Road Runner away, I went searching for a new old car. American cars had gone crazy on the market. I always liked bugs but never owned one. No 1 was a 72 Super, I drove that to work for 12yrs, an hour each way. No2 was a beat 65 sun roof, traded that for No3 a 57 oval (too big a project for me). Then I found No4, my sea blue 66, it was an amazing car had her for about 6yrs. After I came home from Iraq I sold her for reasons I still don't understand. Now 10yrs forward and I have my fontana grey 65. This one and I'm done. No one is getting this until I'm gone. I see you're in Jupiter Fl, I'm in Broward Fl. Maybe see you cruising sometime.
PetiteIvory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Sure do, 65 with a 40hp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 52

Jump to: