Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The Ghiapet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Karmann Ghia.
Lifted 5”, General Grabber 205/75/15 tires, stock single port 1,600.
I try to make improvements to it daily, but at least twice a week & try to beat the hell out of it at least once a week.

Link

21,000 miles in a year, not all of it on paved roads.

I dig this. More pictures from the side?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:

I dig this. More pictures from the side?

Thank you sir!

How about sideways? Laughing

Link

And spectator’s view...

Link

TONS more pics of it in my gallery or thread. Embarassed

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Thanks! Seeing this thing being used like that makes me smile Very Happy And makes me want to go ahead and lift my subaru outback with some meaty all terrains!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
Thanks! Seeing this thing being used like that makes me smile Very Happy And makes me want to go ahead and lift my subaru outback with some meaty all terrains!

Thank you sir!

No need to lift the Suby, they're currently one of the most campaigned rallycross cars, check out SCCA rallycross, THSCC rallycross (local SCCA chapter), or Dirtfish on YouTube & you'll be signing up for the next event (Which is next weekend by the way.).
https://www.thscc.com/calendar

Here's a pic of the other participant's cars.

And a fellow VW owner flogging his too.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Thats awesome! I think I sold a couple of porsche phone dials to the guy that owns that beetle!
Dirteater74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

1960 40 horse.. drive 50 miles round trip to work mon-fri in SoCal..
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drove my 1963 that I have had about a year and a half to work today. 30 miles on DARK back roads. I have been bringing her back to life after sitting in a field for 10 years and PO hack jobs. She ran great, a little weak in 4th on the hills but overall did great. I really enjoyed the ride. But I will definitely be ordering my interior stuff sooner than later as well better headlights
. Driver seat is in rough shape.

1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

pdaddy68 Thats a good looking ride
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

smeag wrote:
pdaddy68 Thats a good looking ride

Thanks smeag , I’m trying to get her back to her OG look.
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gorillasnacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I don't remember if I posted about getting my 67 bug fixed and driving or not, it's been a long time since I've been on this forum. I got it back from the shop in April and I've been driving it quite a bit. It runs and drives like a champ! I took it out the other day and just drove around all day, it was great.
I had new floor pans installed, heater channels, running boards, all rust in the body cut out and new metal welded in, front disc brake conversion, new master cylinder, brake lines, new everything in the rear brakes, new fuel line, new tires, and the electrical system and engine gone thru and fixed where needed. Lots of work!
Anyway, point is, I've been driving my VW a lot, almost daily and I've been really enjoying it!
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I daily drive my UK 67. It is completely stock running a reconditioned 1200 engine (it's a Sparkafer or base model). I drive about 50-100 miles each week. It lives outside (I wish I had a garage!). Touchwood it has been super reliable so far and starts in the button. I get about 20 UK mpg in the city and 30 on the motorway (about 25 US).

My wishlist is for a full strip and respray as the current paint job is fine, but could definitely be improved upon (it has had one respray 15 years ago).

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

That's a beauty right there! ^^^ I love that color too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

About a week ago, I parked the '66 in my parents shed for the winter. We had 7" of snow on Halloween and the county spread a fair amount of salt. It was a good year. I covered 12,000 miles in the Beetle including a road trip to California in September. The only big changes to the car over the year were a new set of tires, a Pertronix ignition module after a bout with defective points/condensers, and I made a crude cupholder out of a hunk of 2x4 that fits in the spot where the ash tray goes. For the next several months I'll be driving my '05 Grand Marquis. It's quite a change from the VW. See you next spring.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Charlie is my 1967 and will be my daily driver starting in 2020 after 30 years of not having a beetle. He has 149k miles and lots of new parts.
ebanville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drive my 66 almost daily. Put at least 300 miles on it a week, mostly on highways. I've got a 1914cc Chico built in it so it handles the hills easily. I enjoy passing modern cars that bog down on my route. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My 65 bug is my daily at college this semester! Really glad the heater works well.

1965 Bug
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

pdaddy68 wrote:
I drove my 1963 that I have had about a year and a half to work today. 30 miles on DARK back roads. I have been bringing her back to life after sitting in a field for 10 years and PO hack jobs. She ran great, a little weak in 4th on the hills but overall did great. I really enjoyed the ride. But I will definitely be ordering my interior stuff sooner than later as well better headlights
. Driver seat is in rough shape.

I really like this one. What is the color called?
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I'm 16 and in high school and I daily drive a 1968 sunroof (I know this is an early model thread but the late model doesn't have one). Okay, I technically don't drive it everyday, but I don't need to drive somewhere most days. When I do drive it is only 8 miles round trip to my job and back. I do sometimes drive it further though.

It is a dual port, probably a 1600 but I'm not quite sure. I have dual 34 ICT webers, the tires are 175/65's in the front and 195/60's in the back (I think), not sure what the tranny is but probably stock, I get about 25 mpg on the high way but I have never done the math very accurately. Satisfaction level is very high which is why I put up with no air conditioning in 100+ degree so cal summers. Wishlist is massive, but right now bumpers and fog lights, then to fix the rust.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Sounds good. I think "daily driving" counts as driving it whenever you need to so you are covered.

Not exactly the same but there is this Late-Model Beetle thread:

Who drove their bug today?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673024
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I am driving it as much as possible. That is when I do not break it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 52

Jump to: