Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Nice! You are a badass.

toxicavenger70 wrote:
I am driving it as much as possible. That is when I do not break it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Acab77 wrote:
Nice! You are a badass.

toxicavenger70 wrote:

I don't know about being a bad ass but I do drive 2 hours a day back and forth to work.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

We had a pretty mild winter here in southern Wisconsin. A hard rain about a week ago washed the bulk of the salt away so I'm back in the '66 again. I went out this morning before work thinking I would snag the current VW Fun Challenge picture but it turns out I misread "radar antenna" as radio antenna so I'll use the picture here instead. The VW by a defunct Bell microwave transmission antenna retrofitted as a cell phone tower.

far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:

That picture brings back some great memories- I’m old enough to have bought a bug, new, in 1967. We went skiing all over the northeast in that thing. I loved the muffled sound of the engine driving with a heavily snow covered bug. Good times and good memories. Never got stuck sand always had enough heat:-)

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:

That picture brings back some great memories- I’m old enough to have bought a bug, new, in 1967. We went skiing all over the northeast in that thing. I loved the muffled sound of the engine driving with a heavily snow covered bug. Good times and good memories. Never got stuck sand always had enough heat:-)

Glad I could help with the memories. I was born in 1970 so this is a old one for me. LOL
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I just got my license a few months ago and have been daily driving my 1970 Squareback. I got it in December, got it running in March after it has sat since 1976 and I’ve already put 2,500 miles on it. It had 36,000 miles when I got it and is sporting the original paint. It’s great! I still have stock fuel injection and get 28.8mpg on average that would average with an additional person or two in the car.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Not every day but nice days whenever I can!

car ‘62 ragtop Baja
engine 1800 mini-stroker
trans Stock
tires Frt 185/15 rear 235/15

Edit to complete ...

mpg 24
miles 212
satisfaction level 7

Wish list Steering & Suspension, next winter I'll be changing my beam to an adjustable, with new steering box, tie-rod's springs and shocks

Last edited by TonyB on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Tellurius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I tried to but got some issues which unfortunately have been difficult to resolve due to issues with mechanics

1971 Volkswagen Beetle 1200 RHD (Euro-spec) delivered to Cyprus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My daily. Currently though it is torn down getting some tranny work and will be upgrading to fuel injection. 2276 turbo and drive it everywhere.

T-F-E
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

The old lady in red is a daily driver from the snow goes away in March/April until it comes back again sometime in November. She was parked on the streets in Oslo for most of her life so her paint is very worn and faded. But she is very solid and is in much better shape than she looks. She was produced in late 1963 but is really a mish mash of various parts from 1961-1966. She is still 6 volt and has a strong 1200 engine from 1965. I don't know how many engines she has gone through, but I suspect that she is on her second or third. She came with 2 blown engines from 1963 when I bought her and I put in the current one. We drive everywhere. To work, car shows, and various daily trips. But we also go on vacation in the summer. Then I rip out the passenger seats and convert her into a one man camper. I have 3 other vintage cars. Two of them is registered and is also driven regularly, but the red lady is driven the most.

Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

cb1990s wrote:
I daily drive my UK 67. It is completely stock running a reconditioned 1200 engine (it's a Sparkafer or base model). I drive about 50-100 miles each week. It lives outside (I wish I had a garage!). Touchwood it has been super reliable so far and starts in the button. I get about 20 UK mpg in the city and 30 on the motorway (about 25 US).

My wishlist is for a full strip and respray as the current paint job is fine, but could definitely be improved upon (it has had one respray 15 years ago).

what color is that?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

L633 vw blue....

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My fully restored 63 Typ 1 I drive everyday. It's a 365er. My theory/logic being...when ppl bought these...they couldn't afford a (winter) beater. This was it. $1600 brand new...as opposed to the average American car...$2200+. They're basic, reliable and cheap to maintain. My dad bought a 60 and as he said..."it cost a dollar a pound. $1650." It's all he/we could afford for the first 12 years of my life. But now, w/POR 15 and modern restoration techniques...no requirement for "dealership undercoating" anymore. Among many other things. But I'm a purist. So that applies to "time travel". When I'm in the car...it's 1963 again. Mediocre Bendix Sapphire I, old school SWF wiper blades that only wipe 2/3 of the windshield...the only modern mod I made for safety was 6V LED lamps in the headlight housings. But pure vintage....right down to the looooong gone dealership repro license plate frames. I live on the WET coast...and it barely snows....and when it's stops snowing....it's gone in 30 mins. So I drive it everyday!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Wow, ten years later and the thread is still going strong! Glad to see the enthusiasm still there but will admit seeing a VW being driven around is down to 1 a month and that was before the pandemic. Seems since times are tough more cars and parts were on the market so maybe in the future there will be a small resurgence of vintage vehicle commuters.

Im sure someone is doing it, any electric conversions out there doing the daily grind?

edit: forgot to put the next in line for daily kid and market duty.

Vehicle: 1956 Type I
Engine: 1585cc dual DRLAs custom 1 3/8 exhaust
Trans: Tunnel 4.37 trans stock gears
Tires: 165s on stock smoothies
mpg: unk no gauge or working odo
Commute: 10 miles round trip to town
Satisfaction: So happy to be driving this thing after 29 long years!!!
Wish list: 2L, 3.87/.89 trans, 2 1/2 dropped spindles and install the top

Hope everyone is having a great holiday, and a better new year!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Hey AlteWagen, you know us we are going to need pictures.... Laughing
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Pretty rare that I get the car out in December, but Santa washed the road salt away with 50 mm of rain on Christmas Eve.

I got the car out of storage (in my garage) to go for a drive. Counting the days until spring....

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Hey AlteWagen, you know us we are going to need pictures.... Laughing

She aint pretty, but well worth the effort!!!

Little more on the jalopy, engine is a mystery GEX 1600 that was given to me for free, $100 set of dells from Pomona and the experimental equal length high clearance exhaust . The trans was also free due to no first gear. All brakes are new as are the tires.

Should be able to enjoy this spring for a long trip, CANT WAIT!!!!!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Nice has a lot on potential, I would like to get a Convert. VW someday. Ha ha my last Bus had a mystery GEX engine in it when I bought it and I thought oh crap I will be changing this engine out sooner than later....I was wrong I ran it for the 5 years I owned the bus and it ran great. Honestly one of the best VW engines I have ever owned. Very Happy
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

quickly realizing a vert with no top is not going to work DD in WA so the bus has stepped up. Putting a few hundred miles a week on it since January moving stuff from storage, picking up hay/feed/shavings for the livestock, construction materials for the new place and regular treks to local nature zones.

I know its not a beetle but it has a type I engine and is being driven daily!

getting only 20mpg these days on the worn out 1699. 205/55 BFG still holding on and cruising nicely on the back roads with the 4.12/.82 combo.

Wishlist: Better wipers, new link pins or bay front beam, get the 2180 in there, diesel heater.

Update on the 1960 bug which started this thread has fallen victim to the areas worst....barn mice. Little bastards chewed right threw the main loom and had a huge nest on the ignition switch which is beyond wasted. Replacement far down on the farm list these days but will be back!!!!

Dont know whether to put in the filler panels or if they would cause more damage. Its pretty easy to wash out the mud with them out for sure. Anyone have any large bus mud flaps they are getting rid of??

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 52

Jump to: