Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

So I am not sure if I can really say that this is my Daily Driver. I am retired and use this to get around running errands in town, or any short trips I might make. I must admit if I go more than 100 miles I will use my wifes Honda.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

sure it counts. Im now in the same position, retired so no regularly scheduled commute but farm life sure is another full time job!

please list your daily commute distance and car specs.

car
engine
trans
tires
mpg
miles driven
satisfaction level
wish list

I ask this so that others who might consider DD can see what works for they type of commuting they will do. Seems the majority so far are small displacement engines with slight mods.
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Silver65 wrote:
cb1990s wrote:
I daily drive my UK 67. It is completely stock running a reconditioned 1200 engine (it's a Sparkafer or base model). I drive about 50-100 miles each week. It lives outside (I wish I had a garage!). Touchwood it has been super reliable so far and starts in the button. I get about 20 UK mpg in the city and 30 on the motorway (about 25 US).

My wishlist is for a full strip and respray as the current paint job is fine, but could definitely be improved upon (it has had one respray 15 years ago).

what color is that?

This is VW Blue, code L633 (1966-68 )
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Silver65 wrote:
cb1990s wrote:
I daily drive my UK 67. It is completely stock running a reconditioned 1200 engine (it's a Sparkafer or base model). I drive about 50-100 miles each week. It lives outside (I wish I had a garage!). Touchwood it has been super reliable so far and starts in the button. I get about 20 UK mpg in the city and 30 on the motorway (about 25 US).

My wishlist is for a full strip and respray as the current paint job is fine, but could definitely be improved upon (it has had one respray 15 years ago).

what color is that?

This is VW Blue, code L633 (1966-6Cool.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

To answer Alte Wagens question, my 67 is pretty much stock. OG engine in it, stock trans., new Rally Type rims and 165 Radials. I think I am getting about 20 or 25 MPG, and probably drive about 50 to 60 miles a week, and the Satisfaction Level is a 10 for me, and I always get all kinds of thumbs up and "what year is that bug I had one with a Porsche engine in it" Rolling Eyes . Now for the wish list, I have been slowly fixing and or replacing any item that didnt work or is worn out. The car has a re-spray over the Java Green I have been tempted to try and remove it to get down to the Java, interior is coming along still need toget new door panels, seat covers, I removed the carpets and installed a a five piece kit along with the rubber Mats from WW. The rubber mats are very nice for price. This winter the engine will come out for a once over, it runs great so maybe just a re- seal new clutch and Pressure plate and clutch cable too. Well that should keep me busy for awhile, love using it as a Daily Driver. Try it you'll like it.

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

car-1965 Beetle
engine-1600 dual port I resealed a few years ago
trans-1968 T3 trans
tires-NANKANG TIRE CX-668
mpg-around 28
miles driven-about 100 miles a day
satisfaction level-8, I gotta work on adding more sound deadener.
wish list-fresh rebuilt motor. I am starting on a 1679 now.
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I’ve been using my 67 as a DD since my kids and I got it back on the road last October. Mechanicals are all good as new but the body and interior are in tough shape. Slowly we are doing every bit of the work ourselves except for the headliner (I just don’t have the fine motor coordination to get it to look decent), and the final paint job. The old girl is almost totally stock, numbers matching engine, 1500 SP with new heads and 1600 P/C’s. New brakes including MC and lines and new tires and radio. She gets about 35 mpg highway and 22-25 running around locally. We did swap the fixed quarter glass for pop outs. Even drove it in a 12 inch snow storm to see if it would still go ( it did when I was a kid and my father drove it) and it went with no issues. Starts right up every time.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drewzero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
car-1965 Beetle
trans-1968 T3 trans
mpg-around 28

Wow, that is a really clean Beetle, and also a sharp SAAB! My current DD is my '83 SAAB 900, but I'm longing (and preparing) for the day I can get my '66 bug out of storage and into my workshop on its way to be my fair-weather daily.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Really some fine looking cars here, and it gives me inspiration to get my 67 finished.
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Driving mine daily, but I have a newer car just in case!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

With price of gas what it is got me driving the VWs a bit more these days. Got the 60 from the back pasture and it started right up with a booster. I have to pull the shroud to make sure no field mice took up residence.

The bus is still getting a couple hundred miles a month. With rain season slowing down more miles will be had.

A dozen years after starting this thread I dont think Ill see more bugs on the road especially with the prices these days. In my new town I still see a few other daily drivers but no more than 3-4 a month.

With more E15 becoming available my next economizer build might have to start AA meetings. How does a 1385 E85 "boozerbuild" sound? Here are the parts collected so far:

Factory reconditioned 1965 case with cam bearings
NOS VW 40hp crank
NOS Mahle 83mm P&C
Rebuilt stock rods
Rebuilt stock square boss "373" castings
Resurfaced stock flywheel
NOS Kennedy 3 arm clutch
NOS EMPI 40hp header
NOS Norris 330 or 336 but thinking split and higher duration might be better
2 NOS Solex PIC 30 carbs with manual choke and home made intakes

With E85 maybe bring the compression up to 12:1?

We will see what time appears from thin air.

Current sandbagger setup on the 1960 bug:
DMS CW crank
Mahle 94mm P&C
H beams w/ARP2000
Stock lightened flywheel Stage I clutch
AA heads
Engle W100 7:1
Als 1 1/2 merged w/FM S44
Dellorto 36 DRLAs
Pulled 9.6 in the 1/8th with 44IDFs w/34 vents, but feels WAY better with the DRLAs

Stock front beam
HD sway bars front and back
Stock 4.12 trans
Traction bar
165s
25mpg
Retired so no more commute
Still need a heater and to fix the wipers
Maybe throw a turbo on the 1915 then install the 'boozerbuild' if I ever get time.

Link

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

drewzero1 wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:
car-1965 Beetle
trans-1968 T3 trans
mpg-around 28

Wow, that is a really clean Beetle, and also a sharp SAAB! My current DD is my '83 SAAB 900, but I'm longing (and preparing) for the day I can get my '66 bug out of storage and into my workshop on its way to be my fair-weather daily.

Sorry I just saw this. I think this might be my last Saab. We have owned 4 of them and this one we have had since 09'. As much as I love them I have been driving the VW more in the last few years.

Take care.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

No pictures. But I have been DD my 67 lately.

With fuel prices so high. It was cost prohibitive to drive my 20 Tundra.

I haven't checked the MPG.
But I can swing a $50.00 fill up bi-weekly, vs $120+ in the Tundra, each week. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I I’ve been daily driving my bug too, only other thing I go between is my Squareback. The bug gets 30mpg and it’s the same where I fill up every two weeks for $40-$50. I can always hop in and go. I even took it two hours north and back without even a thought besides checking oil.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Off the road since 1997, up until a few weeks ago. You'd better believe I'm driving it everywhere!
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crew Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

What a great thread! My 67 is waiting for its turn at the welders. I'm going to have to sell my bus to fund the restoration, plan is to build a nice reliable daily.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

dames wrote:

Grafted ragtop on your '67?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Grafted ragtop on your '67?[/quote]

Not grafted, it's a European spec 1200. Very basic spec that didn't sell in big numbers. It has no deck lid script, bonnet, running board,window or dash trim. Small standard headliner. Only one horn grill that's painted body colour as is the front quaterlights. Reserve tap no fuel gauge. If ordered with a sunroof it was a ragtop I imagine Volkswagen were using up old stock parts. Lots of other money saving differences to the deluxe.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67bug_1200.php
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Crew Dad wrote:

Stunner!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 52

Jump to: