Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6.5 BRM Repops - Short or Long Axles?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: 6.5 BRM Repops - Short or Long Axles? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about putting the 6.5" wide brm repops on my 67, stock rear fenders and i have the long axles now. Looking to run 215 65 M&H Sport street tires.

Will i have to switch over to short axles? The backspacing is 4 1/8"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better read this.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...highlight= Not your wheel but good reference.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i read through that one before i posted.. I'm currently running eagle five spokes, 195/60/15 tires all around. the fit is great now, but going one more inch wider in the rear is what concerns me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can help me. Do you have the 195/60/15 tires on in this photo and is it lowered at all in the rear? If you have a close shot of how the tires currently look it would really help ne out. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Maybe you can help me. Do you have the 195/60/15 tires on in this photo and is it lowered at all in the rear? If you have a close shot of how the tires currently look it would really help ne out. Thanks

You have been Talking for over a year already! Wink Buy a couple 195's. I'm running good USED $15 Michelins on mine.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy of mine ran the 6.5" BRM's on his '66 (short axle). I don't think you'll be happy with them on '67 axles. The '66 had the rim right at the edge of the fender.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You have been Talking for over a year already! Wink Buy a couple 195's. I'm running good USED $15 Michelins on mine.

True, talking, asking, but just getting the car assembled and ready for the road now. I started asking in advance to overcome obstacles as I progressed.

I didn't realize that asking questions to one person was so irritating to someone else.
Not to seem too pompus, but I dont like waisting time and money so I can take a chance on a tire size that may or may not work for my and other peoples application. Do you have a 67 Beetle with the same issues? If so post some good information so I and other members can use it.
Usually and often edited
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't afford $30 to try some used tires on it?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus another $8-12 per tire to mount/balance........ It's easier to use the forum and share info to save everyone time and money. It's not like it's a custom thing going on here.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You can't afford $30 to try some used tires on it?

Yep sure can. I actually have used 195/65 & 60/15's in stock at home. Just dont like waisting time trying this, futher more I'm sure someone has used this combination before and can post some usefull information.

Hotrodvw wrote:
Plus another $8-12 per tire to mount/balance........ It's easier to use the forum and share info to save everyone time and money. It's not like it's a custom thing going on here.

AHHHH so much easier to ask. If you never ask the question the answer is always no, so ask and learn. Knowledge = power

Additional mount and balance is true for most, but I am fortunate to be able to do all my own work.
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
808-56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5 BRM Repops - Short or Long Axles? Reply with quote

risk wrote:
I'm thinking about putting the 6.5" wide brm repops on my 67, stock rear fenders and i have the long axles now. Looking to run 215 65 M&H Sport street tires.

Will i have to switch over to short axles? The backspacing is 4 1/8"

Short axle car with 6.5" Flat 4 BRM wheels. Rear tires are 215/65/15, and the rear height is stock. Hope this helps.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Yes 195/60's all around, it's not lowered in the rear but it does sag just a bit.. the og torsions in the og position. never had any issues, and i drive the car pretty hard. it handles great with the wider tire.

Up front is a different story, 4" narrowed beam w adjusters by me, and they rub when i turn really hard on the inside, and a little on the headlight buckets when i hit a huge bump, worse with a passenger.

Yes, 808-56 that was exactly what i was looking for! thanks man!
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, a friend of mine has the same wheel and tire setup, but his 67 is all stock, front and rear. he has no issues and has been running it for years.

edit: here is a better pic of mine

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, That's what I needed to see. Looks like their pretty flush in the rear with the fenders. Thats what I'm shooting for. Most 67's are a little saggy in the rear due to the softer torsions in 67. I can deal with that.
Usually and often edited
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a pretty tight fit by the fender lip.. at least with this particular brand of tire, Riken Raptor. Other brands of tires may vary. If i remember right i could barely get my fingers between the tire and fender lip. swing axle is deceiving, they gain clearance there as the suspension moves up.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not exactly what I'm concerned about. I dont want the tires to stick out past the edge of the fender.
Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: