Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help me!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Okay I'm having some serious problems with my 74' super and I would appreciate any help i could get.
First of all let me put you in the scenario that I am in. I bought my 74' as car that was complete but could use some fixing up. I had absolutally no mechanical experiance, but I bought it because my dad told me he could help me. Then when i have the engine out and everything... he gets a new job back on the West coast... and I live in texas! So now I'm stuck doing all this stuff by myself, and I was supposed to have my car running and be driving it almost a month ago. This is my senior year and If I don't have my car going I have to move to Washington with my family and not finish school out here.
Okay so I'll give what my *current* problem is (It's one freaking thing after another). I pulled the engine that came with the car out because My dad says it needed to be rebuilt. I got the engine and everything out of a 71 beetle and I put that into my car. It fired right up and all but it wouldn't idle. SO I took the carb apart and rebuilt it just like the book told me to. Then I put the carb on and I tried to start it but it wouldn't go. It was turning over but not starting. Then I went back and pulled back the accelerator bar and gas was shooting out of the side.
So I took the carb off and tightened the screws put it back on and now... nothing. It still turns over but no gas is getting into the carb now.

This is only one of my problems. I've got about amillion electrical and all that, but I just need the engine runnign and the horn working for it to pass inspection.

So if you have any ideas on what my cars ailment is please post it I would be glad for the help.

Even better if you live in the Houston Area and might be able to help me, direct me to somewhere that could help me without chraging an arm and a leg please post or e-mail me at [email protected]

I love any help that I can get thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

I am in the Houston area and can try and help you out. E mail me a phone # and I will call you. I am in Clear Lake area... where are you? Be tomorrow before I can get back to you on the phone. later K
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CMG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Hi

i had a problem with my beetle not ticking over at idle, i was stuck for a quite a while with this problem. i found that if you remove the temp valve (located at the right hand side of the carb) theres a little spring which can rust, spary a bit of WD40 (oil) on it and theres a litte hook when you put it back.

Thats My only thought sorry i can't help more!

Tim
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

keifernet;
I can feel the good karma wafting over the internet. Way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Yes it is much appreciated! If anyone else can help me out let me know!

\\//
(oYo)
0oo____(_)______
| |
| THANKS!! |
|____________oo0|
| | |
|_|_|
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

crap... that disn't turn out as planned... lol
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Viggy, I got your e mail but the PH# you gave me doesn't work get back to me. I may be able to schedule a trip up to your side of town this weekend to help you get things straightend out.
Thanks Jpickens!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Viggy,
Did you get your ride straightened out?
Sounded like you had some major issues and I was wondering how things were going.
Let us know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Unfortunatally not yet. Now I have no time to work on it. I have to wait for some parts I ordered to come in then I'm going to be "sick" for school one day and hopefully get the thing done... is it one of the 7 deadly sins to hate your beetle? cause it's getting there. Thanks for the concern though!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

Viggy, I've e mailed you my # don't go to all that hassel taking the fan housing off, you just need the correct accel pump linkage for the carb (which I have) You will just be making more work for yourself at this point. Wait unitil I can talk to you....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: