Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Many Still Have the A&E TransAwn 2000 Awning?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos of my mounting brackets. The awning is removed for use on my other camper.

Rear Bracket: (notice the jackbombay poptop shocks)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Front Bracket (I have a 10 foot awning)

I have driven lots of miles on dirt roads and I've only had to replace the brackets that mount above the rain gutter. I made them out of 3/16" aluminum I bought at Home Depot.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a close-up of my awning's brackets; they're similar to ones already posted:

The gutter is just slightly bent; not really too bad for being installed for 20 years.

The only things that have failed on it are the clips holding the cover on.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the van adapter kit is a exact replacement, received the kit yesterday, matched it up to the OG and its right on target...not missing a thing. thanks for the link, i can put my awning back on come spring Wink Laughing
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Here's a close-up of my awning's brackets; they're similar to ones already posted:

The gutter is just slightly bent; not really too bad for being installed for 20 years.

You have to be careful not to lower the pop-top with the clips flipped back. The top catches the clip and bends them backwards - ask me how I know...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

You have to be careful not to lower the pop-top with the clips flipped back. The top catches the clip and bends them backwards - ask me how I know...

I have managed to bend mine on occasion. They are hard to bend back into shape as they are spring steel. They also damaged my poptop seal in that location but it is not a big deal as it is in fine shape otherwise.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be made to work again - I only bent the rear one and was able to get it into good enough shape that the clips still hold the awning shut! Wink

So far, so good...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanfordphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word to the wise, be carful bending back the latch hook. I just snapped one of mine, had no give after 20 years.

Now looking for a replacement!

Good awning parts info here: http://www.caravansplus.com.au/dometic/awnings/catalina-spec.htm

Cheers, Sanford

91 syncro camper
RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add me to the count.

Sanfordphoto, please post where you purchased the latch replacement. I noticed mine was wearing thin.

Also, anyone mount a third bracket to fit just behind the slider door? Mine is the 10 ft version and it has only two mounting brackets on either end and it does place a lot of stress on the gutters.

thanks in advance.
dokaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in my garage waiting for its next van..... So far I have used it on about six vans.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Yeah, that's probably what happened to the rear clip on mine considering it's slightly bent and won't stay latched (been that way since I got the van), hence the straps.

RCWesty wrote:

Also, anyone mount a third bracket to fit just behind the slider door? Mine is the 10 ft version and it has only two mounting brackets on either end and it does place a lot of stress on the gutters.

Scroll up and you'll see mine. The first owner most likely had it installed with the center bracket, since it matches the other two.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanfordphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCWesty wrote:
You can add me to the count.

Sanfordphoto, please post where you purchased the latch replacement. I noticed mine was wearing thin.

thanks in advance.

Just called, you can't buy just the "latch" you have to buy the whole case. Guess I'll be looking for a latch at home depot or west marine - anyone have ideas.

Now, Regarding the two v. three brace. Thier are actrally two van adapter kits.

3103719.005 VAN ADAPTER KIT has two braces and

930035 VAN ADAPTER KIT has three

They fit the rain gutter very different.

Happy to pmail the pdf to anyone. I have the two brace kit and its on very tight.

Cheers, Sanford

USA
SERVICE OFFICE
The Dometic Corp.
509 So. Poplar St.
LaGrange, IN 46761
CANADA
Dometic Dist.
866 Langs Dr.
Cambridge, Ontarior
CANADA N3H 2N7
For Service Center

Assistance Call:
800-544-4881
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowinghen wrote:
Campingworld can get Dometic parts-- not sure if it's cheaper than buying directly.
I just got a quote from them for some parts for a catalina 2500 awning that i got off Craigslist-- awning 40 bucks-- parts-- looks like a couple hundred for the one leg that's messed up-( 70 bucks for shipping??!!)- oh well, i still am ok with it.

susie

Just wanted to update- I ended up getting the parts for my A&E awning for around 50 dollars including shipping, from Dometic. Hubby just put it on tonight-- it looks great!
It seems to be pretty much like the Transawn but has 3 gutter supports, it's 8 feet long. Sweet find- less than 100 dollars all said and done.

If anyone needs help with parts let me know-- I kind of figured out how to navigate the Dometic parts site. They are real helpful people, but you kind of have to know the parts numbers.

Susie
derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the TransAwn 3,000 and love it beyond beyond. I surveyed a zillion awnings at an annual meeting of VW vans last spring and none worked as easily and well as mine. Now I need to buy 3 more awnings, and I figure I will check out the dometic line or A$E line again this time and not use the same awnings that everybody else is using. 10 feet long is the best length, I felt. What I like about this awning most is that I can put it up and take it down practically in 5 seconds with one hand! Unfortunately, the trans awn 3,000 was discontinued quickly so it would be hard for me to track down a used trans awn 3,000 for sale, I guess. I would like to stay identical for all my awnings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peasant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowinghen wrote:
crowinghen wrote:
Campingworld can get Dometic parts-- not sure if it's cheaper than buying directly.
I just got a quote from them for some parts for a catalina 2500 awning that i got off Craigslist-- awning 40 bucks-- parts-- looks like a couple hundred for the one leg that's messed up-( 70 bucks for shipping??!!)- oh well, i still am ok with it.

susie

Just wanted to update- I ended up getting the parts for my A&E awning for around 50 dollars including shipping, from Dometic.

$50 is a great deal for the van adapter kit. They charged me $100 for the kit and it was closer to $150 after tax and shipping(automatic $25 flat rate).

I am going to put them on tonight.
yardbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on a '85 vanagon at the local pick-n-pull 2 weeks ago. Riviera camper..

The guy at checkout asked.. "is that a projection screen?" I answered yes and he charged me $9.99. The only thing that would make this better is if it were brown or tan

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yardbug wrote:
Found this on a '85 vanagon at the local pick-n-pull 2 weeks ago. Riviera camper..

The guy at checkout asked.. "is that a projection screen?" I answered yes and he charged me $9.99. The only thing that would make this better is if it were brown or tan

Projection screen... Laughing Good find, for a killer price!!

And, um, I'd be happy to do a swap: Mine's brown/tan on a blue van; I'd love to have blue to match! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS...I backed into a tree and damaged the rear plastic endpiece and bent the case a little. I'm glad they didn't use a piano-like hinge because the whole awning slid forward about 10" inside the case, blowing off the front plastic endpiece without much damage to it. I slid the awning back into the case, glued the front endpiece where it was cracked and pop rivited it back into place. Then I went out to a plastic supply place and for 3 bucks got a piece of 3/4" acrylic plastic which I fashioned into a new endpiece for the rear and pop rivited in place after some aluminum straightening. It won't affect the function at all. The awning was designed very simply so it is easy to make repairs like that. I wish I could say the same about the Fiamma that we have on our trailer.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Still have mine Reply with quote

On my 84. Gold and white, with end caps and prerequisite rust starting under lower mount brackets. (something else to deal with)

The projection screen thing intrigues me though. We do neighborhood Disney movies on the side of my house for the little ones (mine is 3) during the summer months. I have a 10 foot screen I got from a restaurant that was closing.

Might not be a bad idea for certain occasions. . .
Lavabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Travel Awn 2000 - (whats the difference with TRANS AWN ... ??)

im looking for gutter bracket for my 1973 westy and maybe later for the Eurovan 1996 (i guess the only way will be thule adapter)

here are some pic:

bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

im looking for gutter bracket for my 1973 westy and maybe later for the Eurovan 1996 (i guess the only way will be thule adapter)

Check out Gowesty. They make awing brackets for the BUS, the Eurovan as well as the Vanagon. They are wide and heavy duty steel construction. Strictly speaking they are intended for the Fiama awning but there doesn't seam to be any reason one couldn't use them on other awnings. The bracket wont engage the RV mounting slider on the case but since the bracket is wide, a few bolts can be used in an offset pattern to hold the awing to the bracket, should be more than strong enough. Im planning to mount my Trasawn this way and will report on the results when I get a chance to do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: