Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen Smell
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that a major part of the "smell" is from the glue used on the headliner and carpet. VW used the same glue throughout the bus and beetle years and quality restoration shops source out the same brand. Wink
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime a friend/family member gets in my '76 westy they comment that it smells exaclty like the '77 I owned back in the 80s. Door and clutch squeak is the same noise also.
Nwilgus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have some of that VW incense!
gavin.dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine used to smell like mad exhaust but I figured it wasnt enough to kill me so I just kept on drivin and my heater cables were gone so I hade the flaps in the heater boxes held open with hose clamps so I'd be warm this winter till a couple weeks ago I cranked it up and a huge cloud of smoke came up through the defroster vents and I decided it was time to give up on heat for awhile
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My co-workers can tell if I drove my Beetle to work because I smell like it apparently.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
My co-workers can tell if I drove my Beetle to work because I smell like it apparently.

Whenever I drove mine to school and had to scrape the rear window, everyone knew I drove it because I smelled like a very distinct type of exhaust. Laughing
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the smell but my grown-up daughter took a whiff and said it smelled of mildew. That kind of spoiled it a little for me, because she likes the Beetle but this was a very quick, spontaneous response so I think it must be the first thing that comes to mind to the average person.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
elkriss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugman56 wrote:
if he can seriously make an incense that smell like an old vw i would glaldy buy some,please keep us informed.

X2!!!!
carcass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago I installed new WW seat covers and seat pads in my '62
A couple of days later a co-worker was checking out my "new" seats and said "they look great,but it doesn't have that "old Bug" smell anymore".
I hadn't really thought much about it,but that odor sort of adds to the car's vintage "personality"-so,since I still had the original horsehair seat pads in the shop(that IS where the smell comes from,believe me),I cut some strips from the odorous old pads and zip-tied them up under the seats-now the smell is back,although a bit "milder" than it was before the new pads were installed.
My wife apparently doesn't feel the same way about the smell-I offered to install some "odor" in her reupholstered '67 Bus,and she just gave me "The Look",and called me a nut...
patrick66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of the distinct smell of VWs (and Audi, M-B, etc) is the MB-Tex upholstery used in these cars. I don't notice the smell so much in M-B cars with leather interiors, but the others smell exactly like any Beetle I have ever driven or ridden in.

It is distinctive, pleasant, and it brings back good memories of my Aunt's 66 Beetle from when I was a kid.

You guys mention the horsehair stuffing - I'd not thought about the padding/stuffing, but that makes sense, too.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrick66 wrote:
My understanding of the distinct smell of VWs (and Audi, M-B, etc) is the MB-Tex upholstery used in these cars. I don't notice the smell so much in M-B cars with leather interiors, but the others smell exactly like any Beetle I have ever driven or ridden in.

It is distinctive, pleasant, and it brings back good memories of my Aunt's 66 Beetle from when I was a kid.

You guys mention the horsehair stuffing - I'd not thought about the padding/stuffing, but that makes sense, too.

It's the headliner glue........... It can make a new Bentley smell like like an old bus. Wink
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Volkswagen Smell Reply with quote

Some yearts ago my '62 got new seat covers (horsehair removed), new squareweave carpet, new door panels and a new headliner. Volkswagen smell is still there without a doubt. Maybe due to the stale air system?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the engine and trans oils add to the smell.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that ole VW smell; it's part of the mystique. I think it's oil, grease, Steel that gives it a totally unique character.
I've changed the complete interior of all of mine that I've owned and it still had that smell. You can mask it slightly with different freshners but it still remains to some extent. I recently have used the Febrees vent freshner and they seem to knock it out for the most part.
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got another 67 SC and the smell is great. My brother snuck an air freshener in it, but I sniffed it out within a few days. My 17 year old daughter just got a bug, and the "smell" was required. She refused to even look at one that didn't have the smell. My genes live on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '83 Mexi Bug I just picked up doesn't have the smell... it smells like a Mk1 or Mk2 watercooled car.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar topic
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221435

and my take on the stench

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
IMO....the smell....is not the best. Frankly.... don't like it, but can tolerate it.
I usually do all I can to remove it....but it seems to always ooooooooze and permeate through.

It all boils down to old, previous owner induced, saturated, and musty coconut husk fibers..(not horse hair) If you want the smell ....lighter you got to ditch all the fabric and coconut fiber....then maybe....just maybe..... the smell will be lighter.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TL Jer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was annoyed that the PO of my '66 Fasty replaced the seat covers but left the crunchy, lumpy original pads in. But maybe he wanted to keep the smell. If so, I guess his heart was in the right place. There's definitely some heater and motor oil smell in that heady bouquet, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rabbitmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
The '83 Mexi Bug I just picked up doesn't have the smell...

I'd ask for a refund. Very Happy
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our friend Bob Hoover answered this question about 15 years ago in another forum before Samba. This material you are calling horsehair is actually coconut fiber. This material is tough stuff and it is also used in the oil bath air cleaner.just for the record its not age related my 74 bug had the smell even when the car was new. I miss you Bob.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: