Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Theft scare...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldskoolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Theft scare... Reply with quote

I've been reading a few recent threads about guys getting their precious beloved vdubs stolen. And that's got me worried about my own set of wheels. I have a battery cut off switch that I remove and take with me everytime I park the car, anywhere! I know the vehicle can get towed, but aside from physically removing the vehicle by means of towing, or alternate methods, can a thief actually start the car up without the battery kill switch key?

I live in a relatively "safe" area, but I'm always so paranoid about my car. So back to the question, if I have the battery essentially disconnected, can a thief still start the car? If so, how would this be accomplished, and what would be the best way to prevent that when the vehicle is parked?
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A normal , "casual" thief would not be able to start the car, however, if he really wants the car and has the time (and no body is observing him) he could trace your wires and by-pass your switch. If he has an accomplice all he needs to do is run a wire from the battery to the coil and push-start it.

It all depends, as I said above on how much does the want the car (maybe he's targeting it for a while and he's set on your car) and if he has time to figure out and by-pass your protection - for preventing this you must always park your car in a well-lit area, where a thief could be observed and avoid secluded spaces.

You could also install some sort of steering wheel or shifter lock to deter thieves.

Also, you could remove an important component from the ignition system such as the rotor cap.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why so many antique car insurance carriers require a secure garage for storage. Not a car port, not a parking garage, a locked door with four solid walls.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HyDr0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric fuel pump w/cut off switch. Hide the switch...at best they will get down the street b4 the carbs are out of fuel.

Bottom line is...if they really want it, they will get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyDr0 wrote:

That's the truth. Keep your cars insured.
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on here once suggested that you could run a line from the coil to the drivers side seat frame with a switch, to zap anybody who doesn't know about the switch. A little frightening if you as me though

'68 Beetle "Sadie" (R.I.P.)
'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
dirtpittt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put an 8 track in it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustforlife wrote:
HyDr0 wrote:

That's the truth. Keep your cars insured.

You guys said it, I agree.

All good points unless the thief has a roll back, then its bye bye Bug.

Take the battery out of the car and hope the thief dont carry a jump box. Chain it to the concrete, and hope the thief doesnt have bolt cutters.
None of that is practical though. If a thief wants your car he's been watching it for a while and probably knows your routine.

Locks are for honest people, thieves take what they want, when they want. It's a shame to live in fear of being robbed. You can thank the U.S. lack of justice system for that.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longrifle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can thank the U.S. lack of justice system for that.

Thieves suck! Heads on a stick! Very Happy

67’ sedan
66’ SO-42
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy of mine had the ignition switch dummie wired and cig' lighter was ignition, when you looked in the car it looked like it was missing cig lighter, but inside lightter was keyed switch and his key looked like a cig lighter with a key coming out of the end of it,,pretty trick Wink
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldskoolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longrifle wrote:

Insurance does help with the monitary replacement value of your vehicle, but it still hits you on an emotional level. I took me two years to finish my car, and I absolutely love it. I could always build another with an insurance pay out, but it wouldn't be the same. Loosing one of my cars to theft, only to replace it with another, would be like loosing a family pet, and replacing it with another.

I wonder how an individual can be oblivious to that deep emotional connection someone has to a material possession. Not only that, but I'm not wealthy by any means. I have a family,and I work hard! It took me many hours of overtime, penny pinching, and saving to get my car to where it is today. If even just a item or more on my car were stolen, it would still hurt. I just shake my head at those who feel it is within their right to take claim to someone else's personal property!

Perhaps if this country weren't so lenient with criminals, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stash a GPS w/backup battery in a welded case and alarm. Hopefully you catch em' in time before the damage is done. Take a visit with some of your boys to take care of business to send em' (and anyone else there) to ER then take away his car. No need to call 911 let em' bleed until somebody finds him, ask me how I know this works.
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No need to call 911 let em' bleed until somebody finds him, ask me how I know this works.

X2!! Dancing
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69rulz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtpittt wrote:
Put an 8 track in it.

hahahah Laughing
skeeter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your goal is to drag out the clock, make your car so inconvenient that a thief will not want to invest a lot of time (and the risk of being noticed) to make yours a victim. I've never actually had my car stolen (insert wood knocking sound), but I've had it and other vehicles broken into for tools, speakers, stereo, etc. and a vehicle almost stolen. That's one of my sub-conscious reasons for not making my car a show-winner; someone out there will think they need it or want it more than me, and that'll up the ante. As it stands now, all I do is keep the doors locked, stereo faceplate with me while I'm away from it, e-brake on so it can't be pushed away easily, etc...
Indetrucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only add from what experience I have.

I have a 64 Lincoln Continental. I was living with my dad at the time (1995) and there was no room for it in his condo garage. Every time I parked it on the street, I physically popped the hood and removed the coil wire. I stuffed it in my pocket after I parked the car for the night.

One morning the car door was open, wing window broken open, and ignition completely hacked out and in the on position.

Fucker woulda had my car if I didn't pull that coil wire.
So yea... If you love your car, take literally 25 seconds of your time and pop your deck lid and throw that coil wire in your pocket.

I know this isn't realistic when visiting a restaurant etc. But if ya park it on the street at night, might be a good option.
Unless that bastard tows it, pushes it, or has a spare coil wire, your car aint goin no where.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldskoolbug wrote:
Longrifle wrote:

I wonder how an individual can be oblivious to that deep emotional connection someone has to a material possession. Not only that, but I'm not wealthy by any means. I have a family,and I work hard! It took me many hours of overtime, penny pinching, and saving to get my car to where it is today. If even just a item or more on my car were stolen, it would still hurt. I just shake my head at those who feel it is within their right to take claim to someone else's personal property!

Perhaps if this country weren't so lenient with criminals, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

I am in the bicycle business and one time a woman brought in a bike that still had wet paint, black sprayed all over the bike. There were more signs than that, but when we called it in to check if it was on the hot list, it was. I told the lady to hang around and when she was waiting for the police, she said something about her daughter. I asked her if she realized the message she was sending to her daughter, by being a part of a theft operation. She looked around my shop and said "Some of us just don't have this kind of stuff." Of course I told her that I didn't just "have" it either. I worked for it. The inventory is the tools I have acquired to do my job.

Now you know how thieves excuse themselves. Sad, huh?

Chuey
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea
Link

even better idea (this is actually used in Africa)
Link

[/youtube]
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
buddy of mine had the ignition switch dummie wired and cig' lighter was ignition, when you looked in the car it looked like it was missing cig lighter, but inside lightter was keyed switch and his key looked like a cig lighter with a key coming out of the end of it,,pretty trick Wink

If your buddy had any one of the first 4 cars in your sig, all that a thief would need is an 8" piece of wire with alligator clips on each end. He'd still have to push start it, but wouldn't need to open the trunk or decklid.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeckler wrote:
CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:

If your buddy had any one of the first 4 cars in your sig, all that a thief would need is an 8" piece of wire with alligator clips on each end. He'd still have to push start it, but wouldn't need to open the trunk or decklid.

if any dirt fuckin' dirtbag loser wants your car bad enough there going to get it, all an alarm is is a time killer and a deterrant
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: