Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Through my Non-VW lurking I've discovered this..............
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Through my Non-VW lurking I've discovered this.............. Reply with quote

Most of you probably don't know but I've been building an "cough, cough" American car the last half of this year. Embarassed Well I've stumbled across a couple of items that will definitely help our VW bretheren.

First, a possible ass-kicker to PB Blaster? And way cheaper to boot? Say it isn't so!!! I'm sourcing a suitable sprayer at the moment that's more or less airtight and can handle the acetone without melting and then I'll give it a whirl. http://eevac.org/B-9-nut%20buster.htm

And we have this stuff for our friends who wanna rock the rust!
http://www.picklex.com/
I ordered some and will be doing some tests with it to see if it's the solution I've been looking for.

Anybody else got some dirty little secrets?
SBS #00
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! I confess.... My friend was doing a rad swap on his 77 Ford dent side, and...... I was the accompliss...

Also, I did some rust repair on my little brothers S10 a few weeks back...

Although, there is alot of Sick cars in this world, and I am glad people build'em, I can only see VW's when I close my eyes to dream...

Post a pic of your non-dub! (just make sure there is a VW in the background somehow... {even photoshopped...} -So some VW peeps don't go into shock. lol... I and many others would love to see it... (what is it again?)

I got it off my chest! Smile Creativity comes in all forms, CHEERS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Through my Non-VW lurking I've discovered this.......... Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Most of you probably don't know but I've been building an "cough, cough" American car the last half of this year. Embarassed Well I've stumbled across a couple of items that will definitely help our VW bretheren.

First, a possible ass-kicker to PB Blaster? And way cheaper to boot? Say it isn't so!!! I'm sourcing a suitable sprayer at the moment that's more or less airtight and can handle the acetone without melting and then I'll give it a whirl. http://eevac.org/B-9-nut%20buster.htm

I ordered some and will be doing some tests with it to see if it's the solution I've been looking for.

I posted up that exact rust buster test elsewhere on here not long ago, but it's worth mentioning again. I use one of those re-fillable cans that you pressurize with your air compressor. Shake it up before spraying since it separates quickly. It works great!

As far as the American Iron, we forgive you.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Through my Non-VW lurking I've discovered this.......... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I posted up that exact rust buster test elsewhere on here not long ago, but it's worth mentioning again. I use one of those re-fillable cans that you pressurize with your air compressor. Shake it up before spraying since it separates quickly. It works great!

More information on the can you're talking about? That sounds interesting and I've never seen something like that.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Through my Non-VW lurking I've discovered this.......... Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

More information on the can you're talking about? That sounds interesting and I've never seen something like that.

Bought mine at Harbor Freight. Not sure on availability. I'll look around.
jake74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one also it's called a "sure shot".
Lifted1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.Rustbullet.com

by far the best rust converter/inhibitor i've used. this stuff is amazing and it goes on so nice and just keeps spreading and attaching so a little of this goeas a very long way. by far one of the best valued products ive used.

im using it on my j-3 cub parts right now. (my other project at the moment)
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as requested here's what I started with. Looks a million times better than it actually is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And, here's where I'm at right now. Engine swap in process. There are sooo many more parts in one of these monsters than anything else I've ever worked on. Good times though!

The Picklex is supposed to go pretty far like the Rust Bullet. Let's hope I'm right cuz the stuff isn't exactly cheap!!

NAES
SBS #00
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Through my Non-VW lurking I've discovered this.......... Reply with quote

NAES, be very careful to have adequate ventilation using that acetone in your mix it is a known carcinogenic, or is that only in the state of California Wink . After using that crap for years indoors as per my boss's request in my youth I always wonder about my health in my older age. I tell my students research everything you use because your future boss may not.

If I am not able to get the nut loose with PB Blaster now-a-days I prefer heat for my last resort........ get a torch.

As for Picklex if my painter used it when I gave it to him as instructed I can say it works great so far, but you MUST keep the treated metal out of any moisture after treatment prior to painting. I like it because it appears to be one of the safest for both the user and the environment. But the real reason I went with it is because POR-15 has several steps of treatment prior to final coat of their paint and one step I wanted nothing to do with was "water" which I did not want to see on my cargo floors Wink

NAES wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
33 Willys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Non-VW Reply with quote

I have built street rods for years and for some unknow reason I got interested in a split window. Of course I can't leave it stock but bring a large background in modifing and updating drivetrain, brakes, suspension, interior etc.

Last edited by 33 Willys on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car in 1990 was a '69 Malibu with a stock 350 motor, Old Chevys are cool in my book. Cool

New Malibus suck monkey balls.
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first car that I could legally drive was a beautiful restored '66 mustang fastback, followed by '65 mustang fastback and then a '67 mustang fastback, but as a kid I had always loved the vw's. I had a '65 21 window bus at age 13 but I think I was too scared to have it as my first car. oh well, I do miss my mustangs but my stable is now vw's only. Maybe when I retire I'll reminisce back to my youth and buy one more mustang fastback to put in my vw stable haha.
‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: