Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender Reply with quote

I have been trying to decide whether or not to get a Westy or Weekender and was wondering if I could put a Westy pop top on a hardtop weekender? I like the extra seating and room on the weekender but would miss the pop top.
Thanks
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multivan
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search

it's been done

you can cut spot welds or just cut a hole.

tencentlife wrote:
...most are doing what most auto forum participants do, parroting things they've heard
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES.

It HAS been done, I just can not quickly locate the references. You should:

"Use the SEARCH, Luke."

I too wussed and got a Multivan.......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Dennis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a search it seems like you can only do a pop top addition to a sunroof. Is this true?
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis2 wrote:
After a search it seems like you can only do a pop top addition to a sunroof. Is this true?

no
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

search is fickle, and posts aren't clearly labled "how-to put pop top on passanger van"

but for what you are looking for here's a great set of images in the first few pages of this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656

I try to not answer this type of question with "if you have to ask, the answer is generally NO"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender Reply with quote

I did it twice in the last 2 months. No welding or painting needed. Takes a few days and a helper.

Mark

Dennis2 wrote:
I have been trying to decide whether or not to get a Westy or Weekender and was wondering if I could put a Westy pop top on a hardtop weekender? I like the extra seating and room on the weekender but would miss the pop top.
Thanks
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender Reply with quote

Dennis2 wrote:
I like the extra seating and room on the weekender but would miss the pop top.
Thanks

I have been looking into doing this on my Syncro and yes there is a lot of info available. If its the seating that your after though it would be a LOT easier to buy a multivan or westy with a pop top already on it and add the seats or interior that you want. This is particularly true if your not talking about a Syncro. There isn't really anything special about fitting the interior, it can be done by anyone, you just have to find the seats for sale. The roof however requires a lot more work to achieve a nice clean result.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Please post or forward references. Stuff like this has to go up to the top in FAQ (Best Stickies.)

PLEAZ.......

Ditto anybody else. I "KNOW" it has been posted and some how it has not made in up to the top for all to find. OK?

BIG TIA,
-Walt

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is good Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364878&highlight=westfalia+conversion
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender Reply with quote

[quote="crazyvwvanman"]I did it twice in the last 2 months. No welding or painting needed. Takes a few days and a helper.

Mark

Mark,

Could you direct me towards information on how you did it? I have been searching here on the Samba, and found a lot of information on the cutting welding entire roof route, but I know that it is possible to do it without the whole roof transplant. I just grabbed a top and have a van that I want to make into a pop-top. Thank you,

Akyrie
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done either the quick and easy or long and hard way. both methods have their pros and cons.

Its your call. I did it the long and hard way on my syncro and have no regrets. I should have done it sooner. it tripled my enjoyment of the van and keeps me upgrading it all the time its very far from the vehicle it used to be. it starts with an oil change and before you know it you have done an engine conversion, westy conversion and overhauled every major system on the van.... it doesn't end.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender Reply with quote

akyrie wrote:
I have been searching here on the Samba, and found a lot of information on the cutting welding entire roof route, but I know that it is possible to do it without the whole roof transplant. I just grabbed a top and have a van that I want to make into a pop-top.

akyire,

Im in the middle of ths right now, this is what i used for guidence. This covers the basics of cutting the hole and adding the top:
http://picasaweb.google.com/slowmachine82/SyncroCamperConversion#

At this point if your happy without a sleeping platform and a simple trim of the sheet metal edge you are done. If you want to add a sleeping platform atop the curved roof do something like this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423389

You can see that there is room to build a flat bed on top of the curved roof but you do loose clearance necessary for a mattress or certainly for the folded up part of the mattress. Ideally we would have access to a kit like this:
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/westy-poptop-fit_topic49144.html

This kit is a reproduction of an actual Westfalia product. The trim piece for the roof replicates the lower flange which supports the pop top lift mechanism, very nice. You can also see that a full bed is posible but you would have to store the mattress somewhere else. While the kit may basically be unobtainable it is still useful as proof of concept. Hope this helps
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Westy pop top be put on a hardtop weekender Reply with quote

Yes, that is the method we used on the latest 2 Westy top installs. We even did them in the same driveway shown in those photos.

Mark

bquigs wrote:
akyrie wrote:
I have been searching here on the Samba, and found a lot of information on the cutting welding entire roof route, but I know that it is possible to do it without the whole roof transplant. I just grabbed a top and have a van that I want to make into a pop-top.

akyire,

Im in the middle of ths right now, this is what i used for guidence. This covers the basics of cutting the hole and adding the top:

Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is close to mine but I used the flat bar for more clearance.
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the simple, easy and most trouble free answer . . . 1990 or 1991 Multivan. Also, 86,87, and 88? years have the same layout but with a fixed rear facing seat behind the driver. 86 and 87 have that PLUS syncro!!!

Confirmation Bias Notice: I have the 90 Multivan and I have ZERO kitchette envy WHATSOEVER. Syncro Envy . . . sure, who doesn't. But my wallet would never want the extra 4x4 commitment.

I found a 90 MV on craigslist the other day for 4300.00. Wild Westy got it w/in 24 hours and posted here on samba for 8700.00 Even at that price, it was a good buy. It's probably gone by now, but if you bid your time and 'USE THE SEARCH' . . here and elswhere . . . you will find what you seek.

4 speed manuals are harder to find . . . 3 speed autos are more common for the MV but seriously, hands down the MV layout is the BEST!

EDIT: Found it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1066104
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the process that crazyvwvanman is doing. I think I will be trying this out when the weather improves and I can get into it. I was thinking that it might be possible to build a bed frame around the arched support roof section. Although I might try to find someone with a westy, I don't have the donor vehicle or another westy to get any measurements off of. Just going to have to think everything out that much more.....
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still room to put a bed platform up there. You can even hinge the end to fold over like the Westy upper bed. What is missing is some of the room needed for the upper pads.

Installing a Westy top over the arched roof leaves just over 3" of space between the fiberglass and the highest point of the roof arch. I have been planning to put a bed up in the one I just did so I will see how it goes. I have some ideas to get the most out of the 3" available.

Mark

akyrie wrote:
I understand the process that crazyvwvanman is doing. I think I will be trying this out when the weather improves and I can get into it. I was thinking that it might be possible to build a bed frame around the arched support roof section. Although I might try to find someone with a westy, I don't have the donor vehicle or another westy to get any measurements off of. Just going to have to think everything out that much more.....
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Do you build the bed to transfer weight to the outside edges, or is the weight evenly distributed on the roof of the van? I was reading that tin-tops can't really support a person standing, but laying down might be more feasible. It's good to understand how this project should go, for a bit I was worried that I was biting way too big a chunk.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: