Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NC Roll Call and Meet Up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

britts08 wrote:
Any of you guys still around? After a fairly long search and history lesson, I took the plunge and bought a 85 Westy.

I'm keeping it in the Chapel Hill area for now, if any of you are close and would like to get together for a Saturday, let me know!

I saw some chatter on this thread about Jordan Lake, spent last Saturday night there and plan on going back multiple times this summer!

If you want to visit Winston-Salem sometime, I could round up some of our local group. We have 6-7 regulars, including Josh, who originally started this thread.

Cameron

"Speaking before you figure it out
Not always right but never in doubt"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
britts08 wrote:
Any of you guys still around? After a fairly long search and history lesson, I took the plunge and bought a 85 Westy.

I'm keeping it in the Chapel Hill area for now, if any of you are close and would like to get together for a Saturday, let me know!

I saw some chatter on this thread about Jordan Lake, spent last Saturday night there and plan on going back multiple times this summer!

If you want to visit Winston-Salem sometime, I could round up some of our local group. We have 6-7 regulars, including Josh, who originally started this thread.

Cameron

I'd love to drive up from Charlotte if y'all get together this summer...

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
Sterling Hearth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Our 1986 Syncro 7 Passenger with rear diff lock.
Barnardsville, NC (near Asheville)
luigiLUIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: just bought a 1980 Vanagon, I live in Durham Reply with quote

I guess this is the way to subscribe to this group in NC. Thanks wcdennis for letting me know. Luis
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: nc roll call Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in NC also Weaverville NC would love to meet other vanagoner's
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: just bought a 1980 Vanagon, I live in Durham Reply with quote

luigiLUIS wrote:
I guess this is the way to subscribe to this group in NC. Thanks wcdennis for letting me know. Luis

Louis,

The idea of this thread is to let folks know what part of the state you are in so that nearby Vanagon owners can connect.

My experience is that Vanagon owners tend to be good people. I know that I have met some great local folks through the Vanagon connection.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Tried to post this at 7:30 this morning but website having problems so here it is later:

Hey, anybody out there? No activity for 2016 yet on the NC Thread. Sitting here in Charlotte with several inches of ice crusted snow and wondering if I should get the van out & go find breakfast. Don't think the wife's too crazy about the idea of getting out in it.
Wondering how many of us Southern Vanagonauts like to drive in the snow. I've owned three generations of VW Busses going back to the early 70's and I remember the 66 Camper was great in the snow. The 76 Kombi was pretty good but the 1st time I drove a 2WD Vanagon in snow, an 83.5 Westy, I was disappointed with it. It didn't want to climb the little inclines my older busses took with ease. Maybe it was the tires..with the older busses I didn't know about reinforced tires and higher pressures for vans so I just ran passenger tires at 32 psi for years. With my 1st Vanagon I got 'educated' and went with a proper tire at recommended pressures.
Now I have an 87 2WD Westy & soon an 87 Syncro Tin Top. If I like driving a Syncro then I plan on converting it to a Westy camper and selling the 2WD. Anyone out there know of a trash body camper with good gray interior that someone might want to part with?
Anyway, just wondering how many like the snow & driving in it and wanted to stir up some dust for 2016 on the thread.
Ya'll come back real soon now,
Tom
Charlotte
87 Syncro GL
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Tom,

You are correct about the right tires making a difference in the snow. Besides the tread pattern, I'm thinking weight rated (and wear rated) tires use hard rubber that does not promote traction. If you look at some of the tire threads, you can get an idea of what tires are good in the snow.
The other danger I see with winter driving is getting a nasty coating of road salt on your Van. I have done battle with rust and it is not my favorite job.

Cameron
Winston-Salem

VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Yeah, I tend to forget about salt on roads. Back when I had my splits & bay they used slag instead of salt here so it wasn't an issue.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
Sterling Hearth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

A few days ago:

Today:

VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Damn, I love Vans, I Love the NC Mountains and I Love Snow!! You've got it all going. Makes me wish I was up there too.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Vans ARE rad. Here's Idaho getting a lift on our way back from the Maggie Valley's Vws in the Valley two years ago. Thanks AAA (again).
I'll be swapping his motor out this month in hopes of actually driving it to CTS this year and Farmington with our fledgling club from Jackson County, NC. We have FMBC's High Country Bus Festival in Crumpler on the calendar too if any of you make it out there...
B
aikenwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Tom - I'm right up the road in Davidson. I'm always up for meeting other Vanagons!

Keep me in mind if you plan on selling the '87. I'm on the look out for a 87 to 90 model.

Jason
wynnep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Aiken westy
Still several people owned by vanagons in this area. I am up for a get together. Please check your email. I emailed you a couple of days ago
Phil
87 westy, 4 speed
87 tintop, automatic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
carolinavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

88, GL Tintop, unknown miles. Rock Hill, SC. Would love a meet up of vanagons in the Charlotte area.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Any of you remember this rig? She came from the Carolina's. I am hoping to get some info on her previous history more than "estate sale, repair records not present"

Some distinguishing marks, note the front tow bar ear protectors. It seems also that it took a drivers side slide of some sort, there is damage under bondo from front to rear. Old guy had her for 20 some years. He died in his 90's. Very probable driver door replaced.

73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

In case you're near Greensboro NC this weekend....try EveryBus

April 22-24th
Earlier if you wish

Hagan Stone Park
5920 Hagan Stone Park Rd
Pleasant Garden NC

No reservations necessary...just come & pick a site.
Sites on the outside perimeter have elec, water & picnic tables.
$15 per nite..pay Ken when you get there...he will be there on Wed.

NO fires except raised above ground. Dogs OK on 6 ft leash.
Red Cup Rules

"Grey Matter" playing Saturday night.

Think there's a Faceb00k page for it, try looking for Everybus 2016
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

I hate I'll miss EB this year, it's always fun. Conflicts with my OBX Syncro fishing trip! Too many options, never enough time!
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

"Airshack",1982 air cooled Westy in Durham, Reporting. Bought her non-running in May and have been working hard to get her on the road. If things go well we are driving up to high Country early then heading over to Floyd Fest later in the week.

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
jcolbyc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Charlotte area...Gaston County here!

Headed up to Cherokee this weekend for some fly fishing and camping at Indian Creek. If you are ever on the west side of Charlotte hit us up, love to meet other members.

Colby

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: