Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NC Roll Call and Meet Up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

jcolbyc wrote:
Charlotte area...Gaston County here!

Headed up to Cherokee this weekend for some fly fishing and camping at Indian Creek. If you are ever on the west side of Charlotte hit us up, love to meet other members.

Colby

I love trout fishing in Cherokee! Never had much success with flies but caught plenty off of sweet corn. I used to live in Maggie Valley.

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
jcolbyc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

airshac wrote:
jcolbyc wrote:
Charlotte area...Gaston County here!

Headed up to Cherokee this weekend for some fly fishing and camping at Indian Creek. If you are ever on the west side of Charlotte hit us up, love to meet other members.

Colby

I love trout fishing in Cherokee! Never had much success with flies but caught plenty off of sweet corn. I used to live in Maggie Valley.

Nice! Ive got salmon eggs on a spinning reel ready too. Ill add some corn to the arsenal. Thanks!!!
alebauer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Hey y'all! New westy owner here in Greensboro.
Just picked this bad boy up last weekend.

I flew into Newark, NJ, the seller picked me up at the airport, drove me an hour out towards his house, dropped me off at the Super 8 for the night.
Woke up next morning for breakfast at 7:30 and personal inspection of the van at 8am.

We drove it around, went over all the details and then headed to the Bank, then spent 90 min at the NJ DMV so I could get a temporary plate.

I drove through the beautiful NJ and PA countryside on my way to Richmond, VA, where I camped out in a friends back yard. It took a lot longer than expected based on google maps, the van is not really that slow and I enjoyed everymoment.

I stopped to get some food for the morning and a 6 pack. As I was loading the fridge, one of the cans rolled on the floor and started spraying beer everywhere.

the van didn't miss a beat all the way home, except when I ran out of gas coming off a huge bridge on my way out of Richmond, VA. I was headed to the gas station anyway and noticed it started to struggle as I was approaching the apex of the bridge.

Luckily at the bottom of the hill was an exit with a gas station.

I made it off the exit ramp and coasted to a stop in the middle of an intersection 100 yards from the gas station! Got a push from a few generous folks.

Needle was still on 1/2 tank, instructions were to fill up at 1/4 tank!
I underestimated the accuracy of the gas gauge. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

biminyrd,

Welcome to the club! If you are interested, and don't mind driving to Winston-Salem, I will let you know when we have our next semi-regular local get-together.

W. Cameron Dennis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alebauer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

That would be awesome. Thanks!

wcdennis wrote:
biminyrd,

Welcome to the club! If you are interested, and don't mind driving to Winston-Salem, I will let you know when we have our next semi-regular local get-together.

W. Cameron Dennis
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Welcome,
Glad that van ended up working out for you. Look forward to seeing it in person. Smile
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
biminyrd,

W. Cameron Dennis

Add me to this list if you can. I'd like a meet up in the area. Thanks!
ericstickrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

biminyrd wrote:

I flew into Newark, NJ, the seller picked me up at the airport, drove me an hour out towards his house, dropped me off at the Super 8 for the night.
Woke up next morning for breakfast at 7:30 and personal inspection of the van at 8am.

We drove it around, went over all the details and then headed to the Bank, then spent 90 min at the NJ DMV so I could get a temporary plate.

I drove through the beautiful NJ and PA countryside on my way to Richmond, VA, where I camped out in a friends back yard. It took a lot longer than expected based on google maps, the van is not really that slow and I enjoyed everymoment.

I stopped to get some food for the morning and a 6 pack. As I was loading the fridge, one of the cans rolled on the floor and started spraying beer everywhere.

the van didn't miss a beat all the way home, except when I ran out of gas coming off a huge bridge on my way out of Richmond, VA. I was headed to the gas station anyway and noticed it started to struggle as I was approaching the apex of the bridge.

Luckily at the bottom of the hill was an exit with a gas station.

I made it off the exit ramp and coasted to a stop in the middle of an intersection 100 yards from the gas station! Got a push from a few generous folks.

[/img]

Congratulations! I think I saw you on my way to work the other day I also live in Greensboro and drive an Orly Blue 91 Westy. If you need any advice or spare parts feel free to hit me up.
alebauer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Thanks Heir Mostorspiele!

I'm looking forward to meeting up sometime soon.
Ericstickrath I live in sunset hills. There are a few westy's in the neighborhood. Is ypurs one of them?
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

time for a 2017 bump to this thread...and I admit I have a bit of an ulterior motive. I'm close to Hickory, and have an 86 Weekender I've been trying to get back on the road for months now, and am struggling with the idle. I am hoping there's someone with a smooth-running 2.1 who might be willing to meet up and let me try swapping a few parts back and forth, so I'm not just blindly throwing money at it buying one expen$ive thing after another. Bonus points if you actually have a grasp of Digifant operations (because I sure don't) and can give me some pointers. Otherwise in general I always enjoy getting together with Volks and sharing laughs and cries about our rides.
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

I agree it's time for a GTG. Unfortunately summer is pretty busy for me but I'm happy to try to organize something in the Winston area. There are a couple non-Samba folks around here I can recruit too.
Been thinking about maybe a Saturday or Sunday afternoon at the following:
-Foothills tasting room or Wise Man, often have food trucks, maybe live music, and a big parking lot.
-There are several city parks that might be a good spot to gather and maybe bbq such as Miller park which is right off I-40 so that would be convenient for out of towners.
-Another thought is somewhere farther out like Tanglewood, Yadkin park, Hanging Rock, Donnaha, Horizon's park, Triad Park, etc.
Anybody else feel free to throw out suggestions.
Very Happy

TeamSpatula,
If you can make it to Winston there are several folks that can probably help you at the GTG. Also have you read the Protraining manual available on the Vanagonauts page? It's a 66 page pdf.

Does anyone know if they are having Sunshine Daydream this year at Jomeokee?
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Here's a WNC shout out. There is a small growing crew of. Outlying vanagon types that meets and does vw stuff together up here in Jackson County. If anyone makes it up this way this summer reach out. I keep up an email list to forward stuff around to everybody. Most of us are always down for catching a beer and meeting new V Dub pilots. We do several events each year in addition to irregular meet ups in town; CTS, High Country Bus Fest, Maggie Valley puts on an all vw show and we wrench together from time to time on our own rides and some vanagon projects we have underway.

Ps got my engine swapped out and running pretty good finally, no more rollbacks (knock on wood)
B
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Next meet:
Sunday October 1st at 2pm
Wise Man Brewing in Winston-Salem
http://www.wisemanbrewing.com/

Be there or be square Wink
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

biminyrd wrote:

[/img]

Just for your info the gas gauge is not 12v like you might it is being that you do actually have a 12v battery in there!
It is really a 10 or 10.5v electrical power for the fuel gauge. They of course put a small voltage regulator on the back of the instrument panel.
This doesn't sound like you have a problem with that. It's just a new to you vehicle.
Just letting you know the idiosyncracy of your new toy!

Welcome to the forum and do your reading as there's lots of it here. Start your copy and paste bible!
Good looking Westy.

Buy a fire extinguisher too!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Bump for the Sunday GTG. Tell your friends!
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
Bump for the Sunday GTG. Tell your friends!

Yes! Beer and Brunch at Wiseman!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

We had a great turn-out today at Wiseman Brewing, 12 Vans showed up. Great to meet some Greensboro folks and catch up with locals I haven't seen in a while. All great people.
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Great turnout on Sunday, thanks to all that attended! Weather was perfect and we need to do it again sooner than later!
Maybe next time we'll hit 20+ Very Happy

dprendergast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

Great to meet everybody! Always nice to meet some new people and have a beer and what a beautiful day for it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NC Roll Call and Meet Up Reply with quote

You too David!

Looking at Cameron's pics I need to penetrol my roof. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: