Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble Shoot Rear Wiper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Trouble Shoot Rear Wiper Reply with quote

This morning I discovered that my rear wiper does not operate.

Things that I know:
The stalk switch works
- the rear window sprayer operates
- I can hear the "click" of the relay running...which in turn sends intermittent power for the single swipe of the wiper

So I need to figure out what is wrong. I want to develop a good list of "tests". My first ideas are:
- turn on wiper, go to rear and see if the motor runs but the blade does not move (stripped or loose)
- remove rear door interior panel, (check connections first, then...) remove wires from motor contacts and check for electric signal while front/stalk switch is running

Any other ideas before I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
87vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the rear panel and testing for power is the first thing I would, even if its just striped you going to have to remove the rear panel anyways so way not start there.

Mine was working fine then in the middle of a swipe it died, removed the panel and must of had a squirter leak cause the tube was melted where it goes by the motor and the motor was fried. Still need to fix that one!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is, start under the cover with a volt meter.

A quick test is to look at the wires as they pass between lid and body. If you see the cover tube broken you may find bad wires.

This is a very basic system you should just use the wiring diagram and go from there with a voltmeter.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to check/fix this problem during the winter break...good weather allowing. We're remodeling right now - so I don't have a garage; I'll need a dry and semi-warm day to do the work.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
matandrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Shoot Rear Wiper Reply with quote

If someone still has this problem, I thought I had exactly the same issue (measuring 4.8v in the two wires for the rear wiper motor) but the thing is I was measuring wrong cables. You have to measure green/black wire with ground (ground is in a screw at the trunk door), and like this it measure 12v like it should.

Hope this helps someone.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Shoot Rear Wiper Reply with quote

matandrs wrote:
If someone still has this problem, I thought I had exactly the same issue (measuring 4.8v in the two wires for the rear wiper motor) but the thing is I was measuring wrong cables. You have to measure green/black wire with ground (ground is in a screw at the trunk door), and like this it measure 12v like it should.

Hope this helps someone.
\

Great first post.
Keep it up, we need new blood around here!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: