Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving to Arizona (photographic evidence!!)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Moving to Arizona (photographic evidence!!) Reply with quote

So on September 1st I'm loading up my family in the westy and we are leaving Massachusetts and heading to the Phoenix area for a few years. Lots of work being done on the van before go time, but I wonder what is in store for me when I get to Arizona.
What can I expect when it comes to registering my van. I have a Bostig conversion and I'm a little worried they may call me out on it. Or, are vehicles older than a certain date exempt from emissions? Any other vehicle inspection stuff I should be on the lookout for?
Hopefully I will have a route picked out soon and I'll share so you all can give me advice on where to stay and where not to. Hope someone's got an answer. Cool

Dude, where's your van?

Last edited by Destructo on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived down there for about 5 years and the emissions testing was pretty lax, although I never new anybody down there with a conversion. On all of the vehicles I had they never even looked at the engine just took down the numbers on the vehicle(VIN) and put the sniffer in the exhaust. I imagine your bostig runs cleaner than the turd that the van came with. Registration prices are based off a percentage of the blue book value so you will be ok in that department since the van is at least20 years old. I found Arizona to be a pretty decent place to live and that is why I am moving back next year, had it with the politics and the poor me attitude in the portland area. Just make sure your A/C works and use a windshield cover when parked to keep your dash from blistering in the summer.
2006 jeep commander
GeeZ12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the Phoenix area and one of my vans has the Bostig Conversion. No issues with emissions. Just do not offer any information unless asked during the emission testing process. My van passes with flying colors.

just my 2¢

Gary
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Arizona Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
...I wonder what is in store for me when I get to Arizona...

Rattlesnakes, dust, heat, radiation, traffic, more heat, animals that bite you, plants that bite you, etc. Still, so many choose to move here.

The old car exemption (other than pre-67) is tied to collector car insurance that limits vehicle usage -- thus not much help for our vans.

Hopefully you will find the test as easy to pass as suggested -- good point about don't volunteer anything. They will test your gas cap to see if it seals properly (sometimes our old caps have cracked or dried out seals).

If you really get jammed up and cannot pass, p-mail me for some info.
GeeZ12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing - I cover the Ford badge on the cam cover with duct tape before the emission inspection. This helps prevent unwanted questions.

Gary
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Arizona Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
...and heading to the Phoenix area for a few years. Lots of work being done on the van before go time, but I wonder what is in store for me when I get to Arizona.
What can I expect when it comes to registering my van.

A three-hour wait at the DMV; be sure to have all of your paperwork and a book to read (if you plan to change your driver's license over to AZ, get it done while you're there). On the plus side, once you're out of there you'll never have to set foot in one again (renewals are done online at servicearizona.com ). We have tons of plate styles to choose from; pick one out before you go there: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.asp .

As for emissions, you shouldn't have any trouble as far as the conversion goes. Hell, the tech didn't even bother to look at my van's stock engine last year. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response guys! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Next step, Route planning. I have to travel west to Chicago for a wedding, then head Southwest. Kind of a Route 66 deal I've always wanted to do.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Vanagon but I've never had them look at my engine in any car, ever. They don't even open the hood.

Older cars are really cheap. You can even pay registration for 2 or 5 years and save some a bunch of money overall.

3-hour wait at an AZ DMV? That is abnormal... I've been to 3 different offices at all times of the day and I think the longest I ever waited was an hour and that included an out of state car inspection. The last couple times I went it was about 15 minutes to get up to the counter.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't have a Vanagon but I've never had them look at my engine in any car, ever. They don't even open the hood.

Older cars are really cheap. You can even pay registration for 2 or 5 years and save some a bunch of money overall.

3-hour wait at an AZ DMV? That is abnormal... I've been to 3 different offices at all times of the day and I think the longest I ever waited was an hour and that included an out of state car inspection. The last couple times I went it was about 15 minutes to get up to the counter.

My Jetta is OBD, so it's hood is never opened (bastard tech put his hands on the dirty, black hood last week though, to verify the hood was shut; I wanted to kill him). The Cabriolet: Hood is popped every single time; last year the moronic tech couldn't figure out how to unlatch it... Rolling Eyes They pop the hood to check for evap emissions components (automatic pass for my car because they can't find them and there's no sticker on the hood), and to get more air from the fan into the engine bay. It'll be interesting to see if they check my van's engine bay next year.

And, the DMV near my house is so friggin' busy it was indeed a 3-hour wait the last time I was there (just to get my license picture updated!; had that stupid office separated the license people from everyone else, I would've been in and out in less than hour). Getting the van registered was about an hour and a half wait (and the woman didn't bother with doing a vehicle inspection). There again, it depends a lot on which day you go; I hear Wednesday is the best day (I went on a Monday and a Friday d'oh! ... worst days).
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long waits in the DMV (with a group of folks that makes a leper colony look inviting) can often be avoided if you can find out about the locations that are never busy (there are some, dunno why).

Alternately, there are privately run 'branches' that tack on a service fee but are quick, better-informed and generally pleasant.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple weeks ago my wife, 4month old and I packed up to van and hit the road for scorching hot Arizona. We left Massachusetts on September 1st and took I90 to Chicago, then followed old route 66 down to Phoenix!
It was a blast and we stayed at RV parks the whole way.

Here we are in Upstate NY after having breakfast with my Mom and saying goodbye to the Northeast.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was a really quiet campground in Cuba, Missouri. Lady Bug RV park, owned by two of the nicest people in the midwest!

This shot was taken at Meramec caves, famous hide out of Jesse James. The charm of Route 66 tourist spots...

I want to make this next one my avatar if I can become computer literate one of these days..

So far that's all I have. I figured if there weren't pictures it never happened. So here's my contribution thus far. Arizona is hot but we are on our way to amazing weather! I'll get more shots up as things progress down here....until then Happy Motoring!! Cool

Dude, where's your van?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Arizona! You've arrived at a great time of year to enjoy all the Grand Canyon State has to offer.

Destructo wrote:
I want to make this next one my avatar if I can become computer literate one of these days..

Take a look at this and see it it is what you have in mind:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/DestructoAvatar.jpg

If it looks okay then click on '>Contol Panel' up in the dark blue Samba header, scroll down to the Avatar area and copy that URL into the bottom box.
ConcretePump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wild west! Your VW should be welcomed in AZ..
MacFhearguis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to AZ...head on up to Flagstaf some time and drop in to enjoy the snow or cool weather.

Gavin
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son lives in Tucson, we are heading that way early Nov. Spent last winter at Grand Canyon, loved Flagstaff. Phoenix is a bit busy for me, spent a month there a couple years ago, and a winter in Quartzsite.

You will love the state! SWA, Stand With Arizona!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to AZ!

Gee, with all these Vanagons running around AZ, we should have a get-together some day! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already gone to the MVD (proper acronym for AZ) then I would offer more info. In my experience, they have always inspected the engine at the MVD with out-of-state vehicles that are being registered in AZ. They also inspect the body VIN locations (at least dash and door) and make sure they match the title. I'm not sure about Mass, but Maine only offers titles on vehicles younger than 15 years. Az MVD hassled me a bit when I moved here due to only having a bill of sale for one vehicle. Had to do a nationwide search to make sure the vehicle was not stolen, but aside from the extra time, it all worked out.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

The MVD website: http://servicearizona.com/

The DOT page for new arrivals: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an awesome trip. Arizona is an amazing place. I hope to be moving to Northern AZ for school in a few months.
69 Bug - 1776cc
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I just noticed the sock monkey in your first photo. An ideal Westy passenger on long journeys...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: