Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101 Reply with quote

Greetings Sambanistas! Happy summer, everyone.

Long story short, my van wasn't always starting when I turned the key. Definitely seemed ignition switch related so I took the cover off and found that if I pulled the wires that go into the ignition switch a certain way, it would start. When I pulled the ignition switch harness out, this is what I saw: The black and yellow wire is burnt and has started to melt the switch. I have a 1987, if I'm correct, this is for the blower motor and accessories, right? Do headlights have anything to do with the black & yellow wire? Because not too long ago I had a really bad ground which started to melt my headlight harness.

Anyway, my basic question is, do I just buy a new harness with the wiring? But then where do I wire into? Do I just splice them? I should probably ask an electrician this question but thought I would ask here in case someone else has experienced this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101. Reply with quote

Get a new connector housing. The part number is on it. Get the right connector or repair wire. We used to get just the connector itself. Now VW and others sell the terminals already crimped on a wire. A short piece with a terminal at each end. Apparently some people do not have the correct crimping tool or they cant do it properly. With the repair wire only a butt connector is necessary. You need a rectangular probe to compress the locking tang on the connectors to remove them from the block. You will not be able to remove the melted one Transfer the good connectors to the new block. You might want to crimp the used terminals slightly to optimize the fit.

The yellow and black wire is terminal X, it supplies accessories and shuts off during cranking to maximize voltage available for starting. Install a headlight relay kit. The headlights are powered by terminal X and are the primary cause of this failure. You also bypass all of the switches and the resulting voltage drop of the stock headlight system. I would replace the ignition switch with a Kostal unit if possible.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101. Reply with quote

Thank you! This was helpful, even with my limited electrical knowledge. I'll look for the housing with the wires already attached.

I actually do have the headlight relay kit (gowesty). But the ground for it somehow got severely compromised and also started to melt/look rough. I replaced the ground. So far, things seem okay.

One night during a super bad rain storm in Death Valley I had my high beams on, stereo on (powered via aux battery.. with an amp); heater blower on high, maybe for like three hours. Could there have been an overload of some sort? (I had noticed the bad ground/melting relay a day later).

Thanks again.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101. Reply with quote

So, would I get something like this? https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-998-865-KIT

Or, just get this? https://www.buslab.com/product-p/111953631.htm

If the former, dumb question.. but do I just cut the existing wires and crimp some male ends onto them to fit into the female connectors on the new wiring/harness?

swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101. Reply with quote

In case anyone comes across this with a similar problem...

Ignition switches are a know problem because lots of current passes through them via the headlight circuit.

The two corrective measures are to replace the ignition switch (it's $10)
Part Link
Instructional Video on how to replace

and install a relay for the headlights. This will save your switch from melting in the future. Also it's good to note, as the OP noticed Vanagons can have grounding issues. This is a good time to clean/check grounds for these.

Vanagon headlight relay kit
Example of where to buy, but all the players carry this kit

Black/Yellow is headlight!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with my ignition switch wiring / basic electrical 101. Reply with quote

swissarmychainsaw wrote:

Black/Yellow is headlight!

As noted above, the black/yellow wire is for the load reduction (X) circuit. More than just the headlights are wired into this circuit.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: