Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A couple questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: A couple questions Reply with quote

Ok, this weekend I am hoping to go look at my friends 69 bug that he inherited from his dad, and was wondering a few things.

1) The car hasn't been run in about 4 years. I have little to no mechanical experience and want to know if I should expect it to start, or if I would be able to make it start.

2) When his dad passed away, the keys were lost. How difficult would it be to get keys made for it? And how would one go about doing that?

Thanks,

Dan
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: A couple questions Reply with quote

Read this link on starting/ getting a car thhat been sitting running again.

If the doors are opened , look behind the door seal rubber rtight where the handle is and there is a phillips screw. undo it and bang/push the handle tword the front of the car... it will come of the door. do this to both and check to see if the numbers stamped on them are the same.
You can go to a good locksmith shop they will cut a key from the code. if you lucky all will match and it will work in the ignition. worst case it does not match and you will need to pull the actual ignition lock cylinder.. next to worst the door handles have different codes and you have to pay to have 2 cut to see which one it correct and matches the ignition...
good luck
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: A couple questions Reply with quote

Can you post that link please?

I went and took a look at the car. We couldn't succesfully break in to get the key codes. Under the decklid it is very clean and looks like the engine is brand new.

The original paint is what is still on it, but it is pretty faded. There are some rust areas on the front of the nose, door hinges, and of course the rockers. The rust on the rockers is about half to one inch up from the running boards. I'll try to get a geocities page up soon and upload the pics that I took. There are about 3 small dents in the fenders, biggest being about 2 to 3 inches long. Can anyone guess what about how much the body work and paint would cost? Also it should be noted that the pans seem almost perfect.

It has been sitting for four years. Do I need to worry about bad fluids? Or will the engine have seized?

Can anyone here guess what would be a fair price for running or not running?

Thanks Much,

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: