Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squirrel Cage Type Blower for Heater
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Squirrel Cage Type Blower for Heater Reply with quote

Having done a few inline blowers, decided to try a squirrel cage style, if anything to reduce the noise. This install is in a 78 bay, up front, fits under the cover pan and uses the stock hose uncut. The blower is a Jabsco 105 CFM model 35115-0020, besides the blower only a 2" PVC 90* elbow, some 1" tape, sealer and a few screws are needed.

Supplies:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tape is used to increase OD of PVC elbow for a tight fit on the intake side of the blower.

Although you don't have to I cut (nibbled) the flange plastic off using a set of dikes, just makes for a cleaner install. The air out of the blower is a good fit to the metal tube, little to no tape is required.

Elbow slipped into blower, ready for install.

Pull the stock hose off the tube where it enters the floor up front, fit slip the flange end (air out) of the blower over the tube, with the elbow loosely fitted figure out the best angle for the blower to fit and receive the uncut stock hose. You can cut the original hose if you want, or get some 70mm or 2-3/4" hose in a shorter length if you desire. But installed the blower with uncut hose fits snuggly with the pan cover on. Once the placement is figured out I used two self drilling sheet metal screws to secure the blower to the tube and the elbow to the blower, then a little autobody sealer where the elbow enters the blower. I grounded the blower under the bus, used the rear window defroster switch to power the blower since the defroster grid is useless.

Here are several pictures of the installed blower, hard to photograph, not a lot of room for the camera.

This blower set up is far enough forward in the bus that there is no chance of it getting melted, it is quiter than the normal inline, but with two 90* angles the air must pass through, one at the elbow and the other created by the fan there is reduced flow of heat without the blower on, but when on it does blow a considerable amount of air. I hope to acquire a 150 CFM blower of the same style and give it a try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up, and thanks for sharing. Have you been following Wildthings' thread on inline blowers lately?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371749&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

After you've road tested it for awhile, please give us a follow up report.

Thanks!!

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the pictures above are in Wildthings thread, did not want to jumble his write up with this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the process of getting and or looking into why my og fan is kaput. My biggest question is why not fix the og fan in the motor compartment? Are the og fans crap and or does this put out more cfm? Old og ones not available?????

Thanks

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OG booster fan is great at a traffic light and slightly noticeable at speed, a fan like WT's or Busman's improves airflow at all speeds and usually makes the heater almost competant.
Good job Busman, can't wait to see how it holds up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clean install, I may go that way someday myself. You might consider jambing the rear diverter valve open a bit like I did so that when the fan is on you suck a little cool air in with the hot to drop the temperature of the air flow a bit.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be hard to do since all the rear ducts & hose are gone, I only heat the front. Also have a thermal blanket that snaps to the ceiling right behind the front seats that closes off the front area, it does get roasty toasty at times.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this in conjunction with the og fan or is the og fan out of the pic compleetly? As well do you use the switch intigrated with the levers on the dash or do you wire in a whole new deal?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OG blower is gone, I use the switch that was originally for the rear window defroster to turn the blower on.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
The OG blower is gone, I use the switch that was originally for the rear window defroster to turn the blower on.

So no og fan, it just sucks air from inside the engine bay sans the og fan and tubes??

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
busman78 wrote:

So no og fan, it just sucks air from inside the engine bay sans the og fan and tubes??

The primary source of air for the heater boxes is the engine cooling fan. The aux fan's output is hardly noticeable above idle speeds. The aux fan is more of a hold over from the T4's which needed an electric fan to force air through the gas heater when the engine wasn't running, it does little for a bay unless one spends a lot of time with their engine running at idle speeds.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also gets in the way of my weber set up. Don't like clutter.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
notchboy wrote:
busman78 wrote:

The primary source of air for the heater boxes is the engine cooling fan. The aux fan's output is hardly noticeable above idle speeds. The aux fan is more of a hold over from the T4's which needed an electric fan to force air through the gas heater when the engine wasn't running, it does little for a bay unless one spends a lot of time with their engine running at idle speeds.

This summed it up for me and how the air moves.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent write up. I may go this route soon. I particularly like that it is both stealth and reversible.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
Thanks for the excellent write up. I may go this route soon. I particularly like that it is both stealth and reversible.

x2 !

-Klauss
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for including the "PARTS LIST DETAILS". How will this effect the defroster which is more important in florida than heat ?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Thanks for including the "PARTS LIST DETAILS". How will this effect the defroster which is more important in florida than heat ?

So what you are saying is that you actualy have a rear defrost grid that actualy works and has not crusted off or been worn off by cleaning?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
danilo209
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea. I will definitely will have to apply it to my bus since my OG blower is completely dead and I need to get some heat up front. I also like the idea of the thermal blanket to keep the heat all in one place.

Thumbs up! Very Happy
1967 Ruby Red Bug
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front defroster and front heat is all I have in the bus, still mix the amount with the control lever, all heat to the floor or all to the defrost or a blend.

So far not a lot of opportunity to test, had a very mild fall, days in the 40's & 50's.
chris roop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I'm thinking of how this remote blower could be adapted to a 68 bus. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: