Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

whats the highest you've revved?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: whats the highest you've revved? Reply with quote

i was at an intersection about to turn. a car was coming and i figured id make it so i gunned it (in 2nd) i saw the tach at about 5400-5500? Shocked then realized i was in the snow spinning. i was moving but spinning. i thought it was goin to explode!!! I didnt think it could rev that HIGH. it wasnt held there long enough for the rev limiter to kick on and off. i was wondering if anyone has hit it/herd the rev limiter or has revved theirs to the moon like i did?? for how long??? how??
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once driving along, went to turn and my wallet slipped off my lap. At the next stoplight, van in neutral, I went to retrieve it. Now, I was very absent minded, and my foot happened to push the gas pedal to the floor while I grabbed it. Next thing I know, I look up and the rev limiter is past redline. I was jamming out at the time too so I couldn't hear the engine scream.

It was only for a second or so and I don't feel like harm was done. The rev limiters are set at a certain RPM for a reason... to prevent damage. Otherwise, whats the point of the electronic limiter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7k Laughing

oh yeah..I have a subaru Razz
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
7k Laughing

12k...oh yeah i have a blown motor Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:
7k Laughing

12k...oh yeah i have a blown motor Razz

thats why Laughing
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv seen the aftermath of some one towing there diesel caddy behind a motor home and leaving it in first gear. Lets see at 60 mph in first that had to be 20k???

jcl
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
Iv seen the aftermath of some one towing there diesel caddy behind a motor home and leaving it in first gear. Lets see at 60 mph in first that had to be 20k???

jcl

Ive seen enough 1st gear towing in the baywindow bus forums... not pretty!

Always check neutral status when towing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd that, I was towing a 62 ragtop from lynwood and it dropped down in 1st in rushour and I was on I-5, man....not good

I had sparks and metal flying everywhere.

what was this thread about again? Wink
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:

jcl

that's how i did it. cummins vs zetec. zetec didn't stand a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a road trip I filled up my stock '90 at a gas station, pulled onto the interstate and talking to my GF forgot to shift into 4th somehow. So much wind noise I didn't notice but I looked down at the tach and I was well into redline, a bit over 5500 RPM in 3rd gear going almost 70mph on the interstate UPHILL. 10K miles later it's still running though.

-Rob
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van at 4500rpm as the wife forgets to shift but I have had my gyro stabilizer at 20000rpm
gnarly 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit 6300 just yesterday with my inline Jetta motored van. That is about the redline. I usually shift at around 5500 for full power..probably around 5k for regular driving. I have a 5sp manual tranny.

Much worse, for the inline VW motors is under-revving. I think this might be the cause of Tiico engines not going 300k miles like most inline vw motors seem to do....Vanagon drivers are used to the low-revving WBX engine, swap in a Tiico and then "Lug the crap out of it" by flooring it on a hill in 4th gear, at like 25mph. The inline motors are designed to move lighter vehicles which accelerate more easily. When you tromp on it in a vanagon, you are going to stress the engine badly at really low rpms, and yet with the Tiico tune...the motor 'will' behave OK...for a while.

I think the key for the inline powered van is to not drive it dumb...you have to shift once in a while and keep it in a reasonable RPM range to expect good behavior.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me think maybe I'm better off w/o a tach (an 84) -- just as the rebuild thread underway makes me think I'm better off w/o an oil pressure gauge.

Best of al the 84s had a really lame speedometer that by design read way high. Not knowing this I drove (and shifted) for years thinking I was cruisin' good when in fact my speeds were much lower than indicated. No wonder all those people were honking. Result was that the engine probably never saw 4K for the first 20 years of its life. It lasted a long time.
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled over to answer a call, same thing jammin out, when I took back off, the music went back up, except I managed to put it in 2nd, auto tranny. it'll do 60 in 2nd gear!! 4k miles later still runs good.
Fired the suby up yesterday, its funny to see the tach go into the fuel gauge!
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: whats the highest you've revved? Reply with quote

88vanagain wrote:
then realized i was in the snow spinning. i was moving but spinning. i thought it was goin to explode!!! I didnt think it could rev that HIGH. it wasnt held there long enough for the rev limiter to kick on and off. i was wondering if anyone has hit it/herd the rev limiter or has revved theirs to the moon like i did?? for how long??? how??

I've pegged it out many a time in many different cars, especially in the snow. With rev limiters in place, as long as everything else is kosher (Did you remember to put oil in it after you changed the filter?}, no harm done.

Rotational dynamics being what they are, I've always said that lugging a motor is far worse for it than revving it.

"I didnt think it could rev that HIGH" is the same thing I said one balmy summer night about 30 years ago. I was out on my new Honda CBX, sucking down some brewskis and trolling for Harley riders who thought they were bad-assed. I missed snatching a 2nd-3rd shift at full throttle; never thought a motor could go supersonic and survive until that number.

Richie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: