Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Was that the one on ebay by any chance? If so, looks to be a nice car Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1982409
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one, I spotted it when it was on ebay too Smile Congratulations on buying it, looks like a really nice car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPB1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

EXCELLENT INFORMATION - THANK YOU
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here's another to add to this thread. This one was built on October 14, 1955 and delivered to its first owner at the Rossel dealership in Wiesbaden. At some point it made its way to the U.S. and settled in Arizona for a number of years. Then a move to the Midwest and now to our home. The Birth Certificate doesn't show an engine number but the one in the car falls perfectly into line with the VIN, so I'm pretty confident it is the one it came with.

I wish it hadn't had the chrome added and the white repaint is inside and out, but it's still a very solid car to begin with. I've found virtually no rust on the car and only a quite minor bit of tweaking in the nose. So, time for inventory of needs and then the fun can begin!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
speaight123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Heres another one

My recently acquired 57 Canadian Custom

Horizon Blue from a town called Stettler AB. Owned by one family for 60 years until Feb 2017, where it was sold at an estate sale. Of the road since 1967. Its currently on the way to the UK as of 2 weeks ago. Possibly the first Canadian Custom Oval in the UK. Running OG engine - no welding needed - True Survivor

Just doing research at the minute. Also trying to find where the nearest Dealership was to Edmonton AB.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

I've been stripping the thick coat of white from our '56 and have finally nailed down a procedure that is working pretty well. First-sand the white thin enough to just see a color change, second-apply graffiti remover, third-scrape with plastic scrapers and fourth-use acetone to finish the cleanup. Fortunately the Jupiter is looking pretty good in the areas I've stripped so far!

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Time for an update on the stripping project on Ingrid, our '56. Finally I've gotten a full day to spend on the little car and here are a few before/after photos.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here's the right side after paint removal. Next up (hands and wrists providing...)will be the left side followed by some work in the door jambs and a couple of other little areas. After that it will be ready for rubbing compound and polish. I just thank God that the mad painter didn't spray the trunk, wheelwells and engine compartment with this white stuff!!!!

*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:

That dash looks R-E-A-L-L-Y NICE!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Working on the left side, but the paint is REALLY thick over here......it's taking much longer than the right side did.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

This morning I woke up far before sunup and decided it was time to finish removing that nasty white paint. Cool temperature, hot coffee and a couple of hours with graffiti remover and the white is GONE from Ingrid's interior. Now it's time to move on to a few small sheetmetal repairs.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Nice work, I don't see any evidence of the white and it looks super clean now
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett!

There's still some bits of white in nooks and crannies, and especially where the body panels are welded together. It's really interesting to be working on a Standard, all the interior that we normally cover with headliner material is going to be right out there to see, and that includes several welded seams. It's really rather fun to see how the body was assembled at Wolfsburg.

There is also some paint left around the window seals but I'm going to wait on that until I remove the windows. Once everything is cleaned of the last vestiges of white I'll go over it with rubbing compound and wax.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here's a last update of the progress on "Ingrid". Eventually I'll start a stand-alone thread on our restoration/preservation efforts on this little '56.

I was able to finish stripping the interior recently and I'm very satisfied with the condition of the original paint in here. We're definitely going to be keeping this as the interior finish. The exterior Jupiter grey is currently being unearthed and it's in rough shape, but mostly still intact. So, the plan remains to strip all the white and primer from the exterior, fix all the dents and PO provided trim holes and turn signal holes and respray just the outside of the car, hopefully over the OG Jupiter if possible.

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

I don't think I'm blind,but I can't seem to find "Jupiter grey" in the samba archives in "paint and upholstery"
Without biting the bullet and ordering the birth certificate yet,I'm trying to decide weather My March '56 is Horizon or Strato...The areas under the windlacing and others look a little too dark for Horizon blue(which according to archives didn't come out until april'56 with a later chassis number than mine)
But on the other hand,the color seems a little too light for Stratos silver..

*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

fes wrote:
I don't think I'm blind,but I can't seem to find "Jupiter grey" in the samba archives in "paint and upholstery"
Without biting the bullet and ordering the birth certificate yet,I'm trying to decide weather My March '56 is Horizon or Strato...The areas under the windlacing and others look a little too dark for Horizon blue(which according to archives didn't come out until april'56 with a later chassis number than mine)
But on the other hand,the color seems a little too light for Stratos silver..

Fes,

That car screams (to me at least) horizon blue because it looks much like the car a few posts up. Given the date it could very well be an early horizon blue. I'm assuming this is a Canadian standard? Jupiter Grey is in the split section 1953-63.

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

I agree that my '56 better resembles the pic that you pointed out...
However,It would have to be a very early run for that paint..
If the Samba archives are accurate,Horizon Blue was introduced in April,from chassis # 1173573..
My car is March,with a 116xxx serial number,and a 206 body number (sorry,don't have exact numbers in front of me at the moment,think I'd have them memorized by now)
From my estimation,there was between 7-10,000 bugs built between mine and the introductory of that color..
As far as mine being a Canadian standard..I don't think so?
Hydraulic brakes,trim package on the car and windows and the ivory bat wing wheel..Unless I'm missing something?
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

I would also suspect Horizon Blue, just from the color visible on the A-pillar, let alone the dash and doors. Perhaps your car was part of some pilot run of that color?
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

fes wrote:
I agree that my '56 better resembles the pic that you pointed out...
However,It would have to be a very early run for that paint..
If the Samba archives are accurate,Horizon Blue was introduced in April,from chassis # 1173573..
My car is March,with a 116xxx serial number,and a 206 body number (sorry,don't have exact numbers in front of me at the moment,think I'd have them memorized by now)
From my estimation,there was between 7-10,000 bugs built between mine and the introductory of that color..
As far as mine being a Canadian standard..I don't think so?
Hydraulic brakes,trim package on the car and windows and the ivory bat wing wheel..Unless I'm missing something?

Ummm last chassis for March (samba archives) is 1146396, from progressive refinements paint change on 3 April 1956 at chassis 1149147. So your car IS an April 56 going by what you provided. PR info courtesy of oacdp.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: