Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barndoh54 wrote:
I have a April 1955 German Standard (Darmstadt Germany) here on the west coast that I have been slowly ---very slowly restoring. I would like to pick your brain a bit on restoring my bug back to original ---first thing I noticed is that the gearing is different ? how so ? and to add to your list of German standard vs. Canadian custom differences is that my 55 doesnt have rear luggage rail captured nuts ---nothing there -- which leads me to beleive that Canadian custom bodies were actually deluxe bodies with standard options which served two purposes (1) cheaper to produce with the interior standard trim but (2) with enough bling to market them easier in Canada especially when they moved to calling them "custom" a little fancier than calling them "standard" for marketing purposes I would assume. Your thoughts? you can add this to your thread if you like and you can also see the 55 bug in the samba gallery ---search barndoh54 Have great holidays. Bill

I agree that the Canadian Custom is a downgraded (interior) deluxe since it has the hydraulic brakes and syncro transmission.

What Ive read is the Standards got a true "crash box" which had no syncro gears at all requiring double clutching from 1st thru 4th gear. I think since the standards also had cable brakes the lower ratio assisted in slowing the car as well. I am not sure if actual engines were of lower HP rating in the standards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bilyjax50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: German standard VS. Canadian standard Reply with quote

I also noticed in the color charts posted in this thread that L37 Medium Blue ran from 1951 - 8/1954 ---my bug is 4/13/1955 and is medium blue. From what I have read elsewhere L37 ran to the end of oval production (7/1957) on German standards ---since Canadian's were with deluxe bodies they could vary in color --as far as I know German standards were only 3 colors Pearl gray for splits --- Jupiter gray and medium blue for the oval era
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is not listed on the birth certificate the original color of my 55 Canadian Custom was L 276 ultramaroon. I am guessing that Canadian Customs could be had in any deluxe color.

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimbocameron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: chrome dilema Reply with quote

I have a standard RHD oval early 55. Completly originally restored down to last nut and bolt with all the correct numbers.

The beetle was Jupitar Grey but is now Polar silver (not the most interesting colour Jupitar!). Originally all standards were jupitar grey.

My question is, All the windows have the chrome strips round the outside within the seals, this was not original. I have just had the 1/4 windows chromed (again these were originally painted Jupitar grey). Should I de-chrome the windows to standard model spec and paint the 1/4 windows polar silver, even though the 1/4 windows were only painted jupitar as with the standard model should have come from the factory.

I want it original as possible but with the colour being wrong what road should i go down, or how far should I go. Expert opinion would be great as to which would be most authentic.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
<
IIRC the term Canadian custom came later on; possibly in the late 50's. I was told they changed it from the term "standard" cause it sounded too plain. What is the date on that brochure?

Million Vw is a 56 brochure, the other one is probably a 55.
Claude

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
Three spoke steering wheel, wingnut seat adjustment, unseamed, unpleated interior upholstery.
Post oval era, the Canadian Customs got oval steering wheels rather than three spoke and sliding seat tracks. They retained the small headliner and lack of chrome trim. They retained the peanut front signal lights longer and the small license plate light longer.
After that my knowledge drops way off, but Canadian Custom Beetles were still available into the seventies here. The post 68 Canadian Customs still had swing axle transaxles and torsion bar front ends.

in 62 they still have the 3 spoke steering, I am not sure in 63 but 64 got the oval steering....
Pics of a 64 were taken on different season 10 years ago...I went to see that car last summer and it is non restorable now.
Not the black knobs, oval steering(noe in my garage), peanut flasher, perforated small headliner, No gas gauge and no chrome trims in the inserts of the dash...very rare and I pick the one of the ''non'' gas gauge for a 63 project a friend was working on.

Another friend of mine had a 60 canadian custom with the original carboard in the front truck and it was different than the deluxe.
Also wing nut to fix the front seat...

I have a 73 swing axle pan from a canadian bug in my stock!

Here are the pics of a 64 canadian custom...dead!

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poze123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
I own a 53 Standard Lhd, jupiter grey.
It came from the factory with the Golde as an option selected, along with the chrome pack on the sides. The car also had a few accessories fitted we think at the facotry as they look like they have been there since new (only as a guess) such as the gear shift lock and washer pump (foot operated).

Mine has the likely stadard chrome golde handle, two tone wheels, red and something dark round the outer part. Painted handles interior and exterior. Black trim for the handles etc. Beige/creme headlining, single peice of course.

Metal straps in the back behind the seat to secure the card/trim to the body for the luggage to sit on etc.

Sempahores and likely heart lights, but these are missing which is $$$$.

Single sun visor made from perspects, green or brown tinted, i cant remeber, but its melted!

The golde cover i noticed yesterday has square corners at the front (I think my 56 had rounded corners...), this is also fitted with a vinyl cover, not material, unsure if this is original??? but the fitment looks original, i dont think its been retrimmed in its life - certainly the underside looks very original spec. This vinyl stuff though is no longer flexible (at the moment_) so ive only opened the rag about 6".

Cable brakes operate of the pedal and all 4 wheels for the handbrake. Wing nut seat and basic floorpan.

Love the car, but likely to be sold as i just dont have any cash to do it and the wife says that i dont need 3 old beetles Wink

Happy New Year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55 SPLITY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Wow Ethan you realy scored on that bad ass 55. It looks kinda cool, glad it's still in Texas.
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Custom Reply with quote

55 SPLITY wrote:
Wow Ethan you realy scored on that bad ass 55. It looks kinda cool, glad it's still in Texas.

Would not have had it if it wernt for you Thanks Rory!

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimbocameron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour is this beetle below.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=758655
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbocameron wrote:
What colour is this beetle below.

uberwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of my friends 53 Canadian Custom.
The seats are the same herringbone cloth material as a 53 deluxe would have, but stitched in a more simple pattern, and with less padding. the interior panels also have no chrome strip, and no map pockets.
Another observation is that the bodies would have been set aside for Canadian Custom production before being painted, as they lack the headliner retaining cleats around the door that a deluxe would have, and are thouroughly painted in the areas that are usually covered by the deluxe headliner. They also would have the chrome exterior trim holes in place pefore painting.

uberwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 53 and 54 canadian cutoms I have seen also have a rubber mat on the front tunnel instead of carpet, and no carpet on the rear tunnel.
They also had black wipers with round wiper arms.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: standard Reply with quote

I have a 65 standard (called 1200A) that I bought in 1968. My car was ordered by a dealer here in Ca. and the owner picked it up at the factory and toured Europe before bringing it home to the U.S. A week after I bought the car I ran into the original owner who made me go to his house for parts that belonged to the car. Those parts were a air cleaner with no hose for crancase tube. A oil filler ( no nipple for hose to air cleaner) and road draft tube assy. Rear tail lamp assys (with amber turn signals), a kilometer speedometer. Without the exceptions just listed the car was built like a Canadian custom. I found out from the original owner that in 65 standards could be built several ways. They could be built in various trim levels on the outside. Stock, they came without chrome European bumpers or deluxe bumpers, chrome hub caps, body side molding and chrome door handles. 1965 Canadian standards came with deluxe bumbers to meet Canadian/U.S. bumper height requirement, chrome door handles, chrome hub caps, chrome (anodized) body side molding, chrome ft hood handle, painted rear engine lid handle Headlamps are Canadian/U.S. spec. . I have seen some mid 60's standards with painted body side molding painted the same color as standard bumpers and hub caps, door pulls ect. All standards have the ft turn signal housings and vent wing frames painted body color and use the old 63 style lic. plate lamp. All standards do not have chrome around windows or running boards-they do have brightwork on the door window frame where they attach to the outside window scraper. Engines for all 65 standards was the trusty 36 hp with the new(1963) fresh air heater system and the tin for this engine is unique. The engine has the old boss for the oil drain plug that is not drilled and taped. Oil is drained through the strainer plate like newer engines would be, but is stlii the small type. Transaxle was the the full syncro tunnel type trans with a 4.43:1 final drive. The rest of underneath was the same as a deluxe including the brakes which is not the case before 1963. Inside the car there are two differences between a 65 standard custom and a standard. The Canadian 1200 custom has a MPH speedo and a 56-59 deluxe steering wheel ( see one in this thread ) with the old style turn signal switch. 1965 standards are the last year to use the 36hp engine and 28pic manual choke, the last year to have bolted down ft seats (stud and claw-with wing nut). Last year to have snap in old style rubber mats (like a mid 50's) and no sound deadener under the rubber mats they do have the insulation mat behind the engine. All 65 standards have gray door pannels (no map pouch for driver- no door inside door arm rest on passenger side, and no ash tray for the rt rear door pannel. Inside door handles are painted. All 65 standards use the 3/4 headliner. The seats are covered in gray/ black vinyl, cloth might have been standard but I have never seen one built that way. There is no gas gauge ( they use the new type tank with no sending unit and have the 180 degree fuel reserve tap. They use the locking type ignition switch and there is no assist bar on the dash. Only one sun viser (driver only) and the steering column is the old type for the brush on the side for the horn ground. Rubber firewall matt is the type used on a 56 type beetle with the hole for the tap. There is also no chrome across the dash. There are no assist straps on the "B" pillars. The cargo area behind the rear seat is a cardboard type material gray in color. The interior light manual type only with no door switches. The wipers do not park. A interesting note if you ordered a standard with deluxe bumpers (like mine) or a 1200 custom, is on the rear bumper brackets which are normally three piece welded unit are only two piece and are missing the reinforced center piece. The above relates to 1965 standards only as 1966 standard is a whole different animal--see LGH threads for this discription.
It is interesting to note that the very last Beetle built in Germany (January 1978) was a standard 1200A with swing axle. The engine sure looks funny with it's small intake manifold tubes and a huge plastic air cleaner, alternator, and non rebuildable fuel punp.

Don

Don
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great breakdown by years.

Anyone have any standard literature or sales brochures out there?

Is there a source for quality standard window rubber and scrapers?

MORE PICS PLEASE!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some standard literature here in the archives section, even Canadian standards (1200 custom)
As far as rubber goes, window rubber for standards is without the channel for the molding. Rear quarter glass as most standard owners will tell you is concave in nature with a medium hard 90 degree turn to the glass. Cal rubber does not have a channel also, but it's rubber is convex and will not look factory. Fact is, when most people see your car with that rubber they think it was a deluxe and is now a cal bug.
Try Viande, he is a supplier with a good reputation here on the Samba. At one time he was selling OE standard rubber. BTW the door window scraper/molding assy. for a standard is the same as the deluxe, it is the only bright piece on a standard door assy ( unless it's a Canadian 1200 custom) .

Don
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Try Viande, he is a supplier with a good reputation here on the Samba.

Sorry to let you know Viande is no longer with us.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw this in the split forum that could help define wheels

RareAir wrote:
1945-48 used a "full moon" cross section w/ grooves

1949-55 used a "half moon" cross section

1956-66 used a "full moon" cross section with no grooves
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: standards Reply with quote

I should mention that 1963-1965 standards (36 hp) which use fresh air heater systems also use the 40hp exhaust. The muffler side of the cylinder heads have very long studs for the bolt up because they use a (about) 7/8" aluminum spacer for the exhaust port to make the head the same lenght as 40 hp heads. The intake manifold is a part # all to themselves because the heat riser tubes have to be longer to match up with the 40hp muffler. Also the breast plate and heat riser tube/bolt cover are different too. Too bad about Viande, There was a post of his showing the correct window rubber, sometime about the middle of last year.

Don
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with a guy that is restoring a 57 Canadian Std. He asked me a while ago where he could buy some new outside window scrapers for the doors without the aluminum trim.......I had no idea, anyone know if they are available?

thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: