Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Essentially that is the same chart that's here on the Samba..
I was under the notion here that 1173573 would be April1 1956?
Making my car 1164526 sometime in March..that started March1 with chassis number 1146396?
Body number is 204375, (not 206ish like I stated earlier) Which puts that car as production of March as well..I've looked at this chart at least a hundred times by now..Am I missing something here?
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

"Each chassis number is the last vehicle produced in that month"
Wow Rolling Eyes How in hell did i miss that..right at the top....
Well there ya go,April car..first run of the Horizon blue...
I had my heart set on Strato Silver..but what's left of the OG paint and the numbers don't lie..
Thanks
-Matt
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the dash of our '56 with the last bit in place. I found a St. Christophorus/Gute Fahrt medallion in the Samba classifieds offered by Tamas Javor (a great Samba seller) and it fits perfectly in the cigarette lighter hole, so no welding or painting on our OG paint dash!!!! Once the exterior is finished I'll paint the radio plate and polish the interior to final gloss......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

An alert to the rest of you Standard owners/restorers--one of our number has found these plugs for the interior quarter-panel holes that most of us need:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2192531

And here are mine temporarily installed. They're as flexible as if they were manufactured recently and Willem has listed them at a good price.

Thanks to Steven E. for finding these on TS classified pages!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Really this is a boring post, but it's a big step on the refurbishment of Ingrid. This morning the last of the "owner-installed" trim holes were filled, getting this little car back to Standard specs. Whoever drilled the trim holes really butchered the job, even bending the metal on some holes with their dull bit...….but that's all in the past now! At least they used the pinstripes as their guide line, preserving them so I could measure them correctly.

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

This morning I finally got around to saving the right front fender on Ingrid. The car has all original sheetmetal except the engine lid, and of course, the worst dent(s) are on the scarcest part, the right front. I made a poor man's frame machine by strapping the fender to my car trailer and then jacking the body up to provide tension while I straightened the fender.

It's straight enough now that I can remove it from the body and do the finish work and apply a little lead. Really a relief to be able to save it since Standard fenders are a little scarce in the States!

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Today I'd like to alert Standard Oval owners that we need to find several owners that require new material for the interiors of their 52-57 Standards. Two of us are already in line, but we need at least six more folks to commit in order to get a batch of fabric produced.

ovalchris.54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Today I'd like to alert Standard Oval owners that we need to find several owners that require new material for the interiors of their 52-57 Standards. Two of us are already in line, but we need at least six more folks to commit in order to get a batch of fabric produced.

Is this the correct pattern and color for a 54 European LHD standard in Jupiter gray? Car was produced in November of 54. I removed the " packet " from the C pillar from the engine compartment side and
Although the fabric was well aged it appeared to be a plain gray weave. Does West Coast Classics produce interiors for standards?
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

The photos on West Coast's website showing Deluxe cloth interior fabrics looks different than that used on the Standards. The herringbone pattern is similar but there are two "pinstripes" on the side of each herringbone strip rather than one as in my photo. My picture is original fabric (the back of one of my front seats) from an October 14, 1955 Jupiter Standard and yours should be the same if it's a Euro Standard.

We're planning on getting this fabric from Marcus Raeke if we can get enough folks on board to produce a run of material.

Scott
P.S.
Glad to hear from another Standard owner!!
P.P.S.
My C-pillar triangular pillows are plain grey/tan fabric also with no visible pattern.
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have pics of what covers the tunnel and heater channel/door sills from a carpet/rubber mat perspective? I’m working on a 60 Canadian Custom that is missing this stuff. It’s just metal right now. I have rubber mats on the floor, but the rest of the interior is naked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Maybe these can help a little:

Don
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Thanks for this. So its carpet everywhere but the tunnel/floors then. This is helpful. Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here's a little better picture of the front:

Don
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here is the freshly produced Standard fabric provided by Marcus Raeke. If you are interested in material for your car, contact Marcus for more information.

I've laid the new bolt of material against the right door card of our Ingrid, and note that I have not cleaned the door card in any way. I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with the fabric and our Standard Oval group's transaction with Marc.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Just because.

Don
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Here is the freshly produced Standard fabric provided by Marcus Raeke. If you are interested in material for your car, contact Marcus for more information.

I've laid the new bolt of material against the right door card of our Ingrid, and note that I have not cleaned the door card in any way. I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with the fabric and our Standard Oval group's transaction with Marc.

A little off topic but I found the engine compartment 'football' pillows in my convertible made of this material. I would like to make new pillows and am wondering if anyone who has purchased any of this material has any remnants they are willing to part with.

Thanks

Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

I am a long way from doing the upholstery on our car so I can't help just yet. However, I will definitely save any leftover material as well as the old fabric.
stein6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

this is a pretty old thread but maybe someone will chime in…

i have a canadian-delivered hardtop 56 with all the chrome goodies, no semaphores, bullet signals, overrider bumpers, etc. for all intents and purposes it looks like an export deluxe model BUT it came from the factory with the NON export cloth interior. where does this fit on the spectrum? does anyone have any numbers to point to its rarity? thanks!

Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Canadian model ovals were available with a cloth interior like yours. Wouldn't say it's rare but slightly less common than the vinyl. However yours is a deluxe model and not a CDN std so not really relevant to this thread.
70 911T
91 Westy
stein6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

gotcha! thanks for the info and sorry to disgrace the thread Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: