Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Ya, let's get things back on track here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
J Rad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Question regarding the interior: were the sun visor material a semi translucent plastic? and are the WW repro similar to original?

Also, on the Canadian Customs was there a year when the luggage area no longer had the metal luggage rail and is there any relation to whether there was carpet or hard board back there? my '56 has no luggage rail attachment points, and I have no idea if the back was carpeted or not

last question, does any vender have the four rubber grommets for the inner quarter panel, part number 111 853 593 or an alternative? its a 25.5mm dia. I can't seem to find anywhere

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Rad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

OK I think I found an answer to my second question in progressive refinements:

23 Aug. 54, chassis No. 1-0698 300, body No. 622 367
luggage compartment floor - now two holding rails no longer provided.

Not sure if there is a way to know if that area was carpet or fibre board on my car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

J Rad wrote:

last question, does any vender have the four rubber grommets for the inner quarter panel, part number 111 853 593 or an alternative? its a 25.5mm dia. I can't seem to find anywhere

thanks

A few of us got lucky a couple of years ago when a Samba member put some of these plugs in the Classifieds. Hopefully another cache of them will surface, so keep an eye on the ads.
marbel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

This is a great tread Shocked

I have some questions about the painted bumpers/hubcaps on the european standard...where these painted in the body color or silver? The samba guide shows that from late 58 the bumper blades/caps are silver.

I have seen jupiter grey splits and early ovals with grey bumper blades, but what about late oval and early 58s?

Thank you. Smile
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Marbel,

We are restoring a '56 (October 1955 production) and it came with the silver bumpers and hubcaps. My sketchy memory is that the silver started during the '55 model year but that I'm not certain of.
AriochPSL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Hey all, adding to this old but informative post. Recently picked up this gem!!! 1963 Canadian Custom! This is truly a survivor car original paint and in incredible shape. Hardly any rust with the exception of drivers rear pan (small holes). 51k original miles. Nothing has been changed, original everything as far as I can tell. Keep finding original everything. Including the original floor mats. Came up great once cleaned.

1 family owned car. Story is Grandpa bought it brand new in Hamilton, ON then sold it to his grand-son in 1978, he drove it for 5 yrs and went over seas to live and work. Car sat in Mom's garage until she past away a few months ago. He came back to wrap up the affairs and I grabbed it.

Got it to run with gas down the carb, sounds amazing. Oil changed, gas tank cleaned out, new reserve petcock installed, lines cleaned out, working on the fuel pump to get her to stay running. He claims it was running when parked in the 80's. I went mental with the mean green and spray9 on half the deck lid, trunk and interior. it's coming up beautifully!

Smacked out the fender and hood dent from Bug vs. Barn collapse and it looks as good as new. (Minus patina). Was able to get all the bolts out for the running boards and fenders with out breaking any, so extremely excited about that.

That said, lots of reference pics available if anyone needs anything just ask away! Super excited to get this babe back on the road this year. Learning lots from this post, so thank you all for sharing.

AriochPSL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Cool Bug ^^^ Nice save on the front fender Surprised
1964 Chop Top
AriochPSL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Cool Bug ^^^ Nice save on the front fender Surprised

Thanks Banana, I was concerned, took my time then suddenly I heard the pop. I think I squealed a little. Surprised my self with the results. LOL
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Wow, what a score!

Don
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

My father, my son and I are working on 2 CDN custom beetles this winter. 1953 and 1960. Neat to have 3 generations involved, even if Dad's abilities are limited these days.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Hey! That's my car!!

Don
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Hey! That's my car!!

Don

Yes, it sure is. Ive had it for 18 years. Now, please return the matching L19 atlantic green fenders, decklid and hood LOL!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

I was 21 when I bought that car:

It had no decklid, that one came from an agave green '57 deluxe that I had.

I admit to the fenders, but that was 1981 when people were giving me beetles. At one point I had a 53, 54, 56, 57 and 59, none of which I paid more than $200 for so getting fenders was no problem. Also at that time it was still possible to go to a VW dealership and buy NOS fenders. So there really was no reason to keep crappy old fenders like that. Of course now we would do everything in our power to keep them.

The hood I have no idea what happened to that, you would have to ask Dave.

There is a decklid on top of the car that was a correct big spring declid off of a 54 I had. That car recently surfaced in Beausejour! As well I actually came across that declid at a buddy's place a couple of summers ago.

Don
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

No worries! Either way, it will drive again soon. Please keep you eyes peeled for correct rear fenders and decklid and hood. I have later versions of all. It may look like earliest 'harlequin' theme VW made, but it will be on the road in 2023.
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

i have the fenders from this car......not the best , but could be a match

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

Here's one for you, posing as a deluxe. Note the HUF steering lock and no dash ignition. Put that with it b being a standard model with sunroof and it's more than likely an original British Army car.

https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/vol...954/308263
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

My 55 standard sunroof typ 115. originale Jupiter grey.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official European Standard and Canadian Custom Oval thread Reply with quote

very nice! like the dark blue too...any history known?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: