Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Level Fluctuates between half and full on cold engine?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Oil Level Fluctuates between half and full on cold engine? Reply with quote

I've had my stock 40hp 1200 for 3 years now. I always change the oil twice a year. In October I put in 10W-40 for the winter. Now this fall for the first time I am seeing this:

Before starting the car, I pull the dipstick, and it is at the full level (top notch). I wipe it clean, put it back in, pull it again, and it is at the half way mark. This happens every time I check it before starting the car.

My first thought when I saw it at "full" was that I have a leaking fuel pump and that the high level is due to gas in the oil. But then why does it return to "half" at the second check?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would trust the second check.
possibly after running, the oil doesnt run down the dipstick all the way giving you a false reading on the first check without wiping clean first
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the dipstick in and rotate it a couple times. Then I pull it out for the reading.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering why it started to happen this season and not anytime before. Maybe as you say, some oil "sticks" and needs to be "unstuck" by pulling the stick and re-inserting. I remember that was always the recommended procedure anyway, I just hadn't needed to do that with the Beetle up to now.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney wrote:
I put the dipstick in and rotate it a couple times. Then I pull it out for the reading.

Same here. Mine does funny stuff too. I over filled it a few weeks ago because I didn't spin it around to get the proper level on the stick. Not good to be overfilled and really cold outside. Poor little motor had oil leaking from behind the crank pulley...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to check the oil with the engine hot and having just shut it off. Tends to make the cold fill a bit higher but your engine won't complain. Those with long hoses and coolers and such have to do it that way anyway due to drain back. Mark your stick with a punch to indicate cold fill level after you're satisfied with the hot run level.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sometimes get 3 different readings within 1 minutes time Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: