Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DP heads for 36HP with 48 IDAs
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: DP heads for 36HP with 48 IDAs Reply with quote

We @ ACE are building a very High Performance 36HP engine for a client..
Look at the heads that Justin is Porting..

This engine will spool to 8000 RPM
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Valve Train Reply with quote

Art,

Curious to know what lifter/cam combo. you plan on running that will allow you to spool the engine to 8k without letting the lifters "bounce" on the camshaft. I know you can get springs that will hold the lifter on the cam but the radius lifters that VW used are only good til about 5k.

You can straighten the angled lifter bores by sleeving/bore/ream the lifter bosses at a straight 90* to the camshaft. Modify the cam brng. bore at the cam gear end install one of the many performance camshafts that are available for the 356. Of course you would use their mushroom faced lifters also! Just my .02 cents worth........

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Train Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
Art,

Curious to know what lifter/cam combo. you plan on running that will allow you to spool the engine to 8k without letting the lifters "bounce" on the camshaft. I know you can get springs that will hold the lifter on the cam but the radius lifters that VW used are only good til about 5k.

You can straighten the angled lifter bores by sleeving/bore/ream the lifter bosses at a straight 90* to the camshaft. Modify the cam brng. bore at the cam gear end install one of the many performance camshafts that are available for the 356. Of course you would use their mushroom faced lifters also! Just my .02 cents worth........

True with the angle of the lifter bores, you can straighten them in that way, hard to do and not alot material at the end.
Buuut the radius lifter are good for 8000 rpm. The medusa engine had 800 miles on them and i had it every day a couple times in the limiter and this with boost. limmiter from the beginning 7000- at the end with 7600 rpm. This all with just 74kg spring pressure at max lift of 12,3mm. Without boost this was enough for close to 8000rpm. depends on camdesign, there you can save some real % of valvepressure. I mean the starting ramp.
My cam and lifters look like new... I will make pictures after xmas.

For daily driver 5000k is a longe live choice if done right

At this point
Mery xmas to all

My question to the heads is, what valvesizes and bore stroke will that engine get to spin that high.ans shall this engine make usefull power up to 8000 or just spin that high.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Holy ____ - I can't wait to see that bad boy go!

Regarding 36HP lifters, I've noticed that stefi.g has made some custom lifters to fit into a slightly modified 36HP case.

This sounds interesting, but I've always thought that the 36HP lifters are a little off center, so the high point of the lifter is a couple of mm away from the center. Confused

Paul

Richard Feynman
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been working on trying to make 356 cam followers work in a 36hp case. Any tips I'd like to know some secrets.

Art, post some pics of the manifolds unless it's top secret
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefi. G. has the right idea but it doesnt end with just modifying a lifter. You have to prep the hole first!. Bore and sleeve at a 90* angle to the cam face, use late mushroom type lifters that are actually smaller in dia. than the above. While your ad it, move the lifter bore over to hit desired area of camshaft for proper wear. Use approp. springs depending RPM range. Sounds like you are good to go! Get ready for take off........

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Art and Justin !!! Did you start with oem sp 36hp heads? I am working on a version of straightening out litter bores and using .494" dia. Lifter ... I have two bores completed on a junk case
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Holy ____ - I can't wait to see that bad boy go!

Regarding 36HP lifters, I've noticed that stefi.g has made some custom lifters to fit into a slightly modified 36HP case.

This sounds interesting, but I've always thought that the 36HP lifters are a little off center, so the high point of the lifter is a couple of mm away from the center. Confused

Paul
yep , the 356 flat lifter is not only off center, but cam timing will be goofy.. which is why you want to do as Joe Ruiz explained, bush and rebore all 8 lifter bores so they resemble on center 356 cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stefi.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, my lifters are new ones, I used design of 356 lifters but with diameter of 30Ps pushrods, these lifters accept only 356 three pcs. case cams. of course there are not in 100% horizontal position but same as 30PS in 10grades of radius.... I tested them in a lot of engines without any problems. with ratio of rockers 1.1 or 1.5 in PreA porsche ones.

only you need cut axial -2mm in camshaft case position,thats all....

there are all engines used these lifters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gOPBEV18Xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUz0K3LyfGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9yPhy_gTkY

you can test them and you can tell me your opinion.

I also tested to do your idea to do this 90grades , used new bushings which acepts original 356 lifters, but there is more problems....
lifters are so long and the push rods are so much bended in high lift and connects push rods pipes, you need cut lifters over 8mm or enlarge your holes in both sides of engine case holes for your push rods tubes......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

If you use a cam from a three piece case, doesn't that alter the lob separation?

BTW, how can we turn this into a seperate topic?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman

Last edited by gimmesomeshelter on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

If you use a cam from a three piece case, doesn't that alter the lob seperation?

BTW, how can we turn this into a seperate topic?

Thanks,

Paul

The cam lobes are ALMOST if not, in the same location. The lobes on the 3pc. cam are wider. Maybe that is why they "appear" off center.

As per BENDING PUSHRODS per Stefi G. I would use the 356 cut to length as they are stronger than 36hp.

Cheers!

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Simon wrote:
Nice work Art and Justin !!! Did you start with oem sp 36hp heads?

You can see in the pic that it is a welded okrasa .

how stefi.g tested, you need a bushing of... About 19mm? I am not at home, but i messured it, draw it in auto cad and to straighten the degree offset over an accaptable lenght will weaken the material alot and in fact of the then 90 degree to the cam the push rods bring force on the now very thin walls of the lifter bores. And on one case half the force will be kind of double that hard because of the rotating camshaft.
I would not test it with a spring pressure that is needes to reach 8000 rpm + the extra weight that the flat lifter will bring.
Just my 2 cent about 90degree flat lifters in 36hp case for me not save enough
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Thraen
What head is that? is it a welded stock head or some thing else? I have thought about welding up a set of stock heads and tring to make a dual port 36hp head.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
Art Thraen
What head is that? is it a welded stock head or some thing else? I have thought about welding up a set of stock heads and tring to make a dual port 36hp head.

Casey

look at the picture again and read grünis post.

there is one detail which tells you that it is an okrasa head no stock head.

look at the gasket area of the manifold.

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval56 wrote:
look at the picture again and read grünis post.

there is one detail which tells you that it is an okrasa head no stock head.

look at the gasket area of the manifold.

Yes they are the new (repop) OKRASA type heads.. I have Justin doing the port work and he came up with using that manifold, I welded them and we even had to use a different spark plug. Put 6mm Guides and installed big seats, Next I will move the pushrod tube holes 1/4 in and make them line up. The cam we made will have 308 Dur,, 550" lift.. We have done this before and were able to get 7800 to 8000 RPM.. Use HONDA Race springs..
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure that tha cam will have 0.550" ..even with stock stroke and conrod there is not enough room for a cam with that lift. also i am sure the stock lifter and the 26mm porsche ones will not handle such a cam.

maybe you mean 0.550" at valve? that is possible. and the cam has that durration at what? zero? my curret medusa has 306° at zero on the exhaust...as n/a with the same on intake + high compression ( it has blowerfriendly 7,8:1) peak hp in the 7000 RPM would be more than possible.

in what engine did you have it done befor???

nice work on the heads... les see what they can do.
valve sizes?
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the old cam.. the rockers are 1.31:1

grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes..but this is a cam with about...0.420" at the valve if i am right and so max. 0.330" at the cam...and correct me if I am wrong but was the single port not peak at about 4500 rpm in salt version and with other venturies and jeting max. peak near the 6000 rpm mark? some very good nimbers btw...damn it's a record holder.
was that cam 308° ? at what lash? my 306° cam at zero lash and 290° at 0.020" looks totally diferent.

but back to the heads...valvesizes? same as the singleport?
how deep did you weld..also between the both ports? both sides?

wishes from germany
and send some wishes to justin and colton
christian

Last edited by grueni on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32mm x 38mm intake welding was a trick...But had no problem..

The cam in the PIC is smaller, its the old one..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: