Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery Coolant Loss
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tko123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Mystery Coolant Loss Reply with quote

My buddy's '90 van is losing coolant but he can't figure out why. In the past two weeks he's lost about a gallon. Recently, his temperature gauge went above the mid point and the warning light activated. He shut down the engine until cool and made it home. There are no obvious drips that would indicate a hose leak etc. I told him that I'd put some thought to it since I have a '90 as well and we've team up on various problems over the past couple of years with success. This one has us stumped.

Would this be a faulty head gasket? Suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks
VSC706
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible that your friend could have missed coolant coming out of the overflow tank? this will happen when the main coolant tank cap goes bad. when hot it will surge back thru the cap and escape thru the overflow tank. you can loose a fair amount of coolant this way.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431407

Good luck,

JMR
phatveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the trans cooler has gone south and coolant is being fed into the tranny - not good at all. Do not drive until you sort it out.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolant can also depart via the tailpipe and may appear as white smoke or may not produce smoke at all. Either way there is a distinctive sweet smell in the exhaust.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, was the coolant recently changed? Maybe the system is not purged of air.
Bentley, my friend.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tko123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no coolant coming from overflow tank. I think the trans cooler is only a factor w/ auto transmission. He's been watching for exhaust smoke but none so far but I will pass along the sweet smell. The coolant was changed over a year ago and properly bled.

The link below was intriguing and I think I'll recommend a leak down test tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the guidance.
VSC706
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull up the rear carpet before doing the leak down test as that test requires some time to do properly. Also, a simple test for coolant leaking into cylinders (usually happens if compression is also getting into the coolant as your leakdown test will check for) is to pull the spark plugs and keep track which cylinder they come out of. If one is markedly cleaner than the others you've got a coolant leak at that sealing ring - steam cleans the plug very quickly. Plugs are 5 minutes to pull.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a coolant pressure tester on the Van.It'll tell you pretty quick if & when there is a leak--and where it is.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure test for sure, but be aware they are not fool proof. I've messed with two vehicles. not vanagons, that wouldn't leak off a single pound of pressure in an hour no matter where you pressured up from, but were going through coolant and driving me nuts. One finally became an obvious bad hose, the second left me stranded on the highway a couple weeks ago when the block heater started hemorrhaging. It was hard to get upset though, I had been under that thing enough recently that just knowing what it was put a smile on my face. It was always just spotless. If it is intermittent at this point, it could be a matter of just catching it at the right time, but hey, it'll eventually make itself known.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: