Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

I don't think Small Car has this version. Ours were first and many satisfied customers have said it's superior in quality and appearance to what is available from Small Car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

Small car has it for $10.95, and yours is $55. Quite a difference.

Just curious on the differences in quality. Like most I dont mind paying a bit more for a quality product.
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

I have 3 left with check engine and cruise. Willing to make more if enough people are interested.

Check the classified ads
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2458691
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

yes, I would like to buy one.
harking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

Would love to buy one from you if still available.
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

I still get people inquiring about these custom indicator panels we use to make (before Smallcar stole the idea).

Is there any interest in making these again? I have very limited quantities available.

It seems the "check engine" in the lower left and "cruise" in the lower right are what people want, not the the only check engine that replaces the OXS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

Also have with just check engine symbol in lower left...

Edit:
Oops I ready said that above.

Found a few more of all versions.
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

coastdog wrote:
Does anyone know if WestyKlaus or 1971BugGuy are still able to make custom LED panel inserts

I do have a few of these left from years ago. Two versions in very limited quantities. One is OXS lower left with Cruise symbol in lower right. The other is Check Eng symbol in lower left and Cruise symbol in lower right.

Also have several with just the Check Eng symbol in the lower left corner.

PM me if interested...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

over at the cruise control brain box is a 4 position (dealer diagnostic) plug with 3 wires. a brown (ground) a white/blue stripe (speed sensor signal) and iirc a darker blue with black stripe this is tied in with the ON function when the stalk is switched ON... ready but not set.
hook up to that blue/black wire with the + side of an LED (run a length of wire. speaker lead is 'ok') and ground the -side of the led... it'll be lit when the CC is switched ON and ready.

how to make it illuminate when the CC is actually set.. that I do not know how.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

it needs to have a resistor to lower the voltage
but many single LEDs on the market are 12v ready with a resistor already.
just search for and buy a 12v LED. you'll be all set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if a single LED bulb can simply be powered by a 12 volt power source or is there something required to lower the voltage to the light. I'm hoping to put an LED in a blank space in the warning cluster to indicate cruise control on/off.
dbartisan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

I'd be up for a custom insert as well with a check engine light icon next to a cruise control icon on the bottom.

-Steve C.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cruise Control LED Indicator in Instrument Cluster Reply with quote

Does anyone know if WestyKlaus or 1971BugGuy are still able to make custom LED panel inserts? I'm installing the GW CRUISE CONTROL kit and would really like to put an LED indicator in the panel.

Thanks for any replies
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added 2 more resistors and dimmed it out a bit. Turn signal used for comparison:

'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
I'm guessing you bought a 5 pack of resistors at Radio Shack or something.

Exactly what I did. I will add them one by one until I find a brightness I like.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add another 470 ohm inline it will be like having one 940 ohm resistor. You could even add more 470 ohm resistors inline (in series) to lower it more. I'm guessing you bought a 5 pack of resistors at Radio Shack or something.
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistor is kind of a PITA to get to but I can easily get to the line that feeds it. If I keep the existing 470 ohm resistor what ohm resistor should I use--another 470 or a 1000?
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll see how it goes.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

Try a 1,000 ohm resistor instead of the 470 ohm. This will reduce the current by half thereby making the LED half the luminous intensity. This will appear to be about 2/3rds as bright.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: