Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stalling in reverse/1st -answered - choke adjustment
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Stalling in reverse/1st -answered - choke adjustment Reply with quote

1970 Bus, stock everything....

when I first crank up in the morning, it starts and idles fine. Allow to run for a while (coming out of garage) Then when I try to shift into reverse it sputters and stalls. Hit the gas pedal and it just doesnt want to run...
Does the same when I put into first. After I get it going down the road a ways, it starts to run better.

Just had an oil change and tune up done at the local vw shop. Seemed to run fine on the way home?
I am going to try to take it back tomorrow but I would like to fix today !!

any thoughts?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus

Last edited by panic_fan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanysfinest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this start occurring after the tune up?
Check timing, points, carb adjustment again. It may be coming off the choke too quickly.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanysfinest wrote:
Did this start occurring after the tune up?
Check timing, points, carb adjustment again. It may be coming off the choke too quickly.

Yes, after the tune up.

Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much or too little choke.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, smooth operation and correct adjustment of the choke. And I'd highly question the correct timing. So many people adjust the timing- wrong. It's always back to the issue of timing marks on the pulley. And having no idea of what the marks are and where TDC really is.
Your year bus should be fairly easy to tune. A big advantage of an early bay. BTW, Mine has dual carbs so no concern with the choke. But when it had the stock carb, and likewise with my bug, I'd always have to readjust the choke twice a year. The same setting wouldn't work summer and winter.

For the basic tuning you really need to get on top of that yourself. It's the only way to make life simple and good. For instance, turn your choke adjustment up or down a notch or in small amounts and try it again until you get it good . Keep tweeking it until it's wonderful. Trial and error. Start getting the feel for how it responds when it's off one way or another. Same way with accelerator pump adjustment and idle mixture adjustment..
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
...For the basic tuning you really need to get on top of that yourself. It's the only way to make life simple and good. For instance, turn your choke adjustment up or down a notch or in small amounts and try it again until you get it good . Keep tweeking it until it's wonderful. Trial and error. Start getting the feel for how it responds when it's off one way or another. Same way with accelerator pump adjustment and idle mixture adjustment..

Thanks Desertbusman. It was a simple choke adjustment,
I just ordered the 1968-72 Bus Haynes so I am sure that will be a big help in the near future. Can't wait to start learnin'

Teal Bay Bus
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when it had the stock carb, and likewise with my bug, I'd always have to readjust the choke twice a year. The same setting wouldn't work summer and winter.

x2 on 1971 DP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: