Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater box filters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Heater box filters Reply with quote

so over the holiday my family and i used the bus to get around. but the smeel of the heater boxes threw everyone off, headaches being the biggest complaint. has anyone ever used anything to filter the boxes? i dont have floor vents so i rubber banded some dryer sheets to the floor outlets and it smelled way better. i put dryer sheets in the front but the output was hindered greatly. im thinking of clamping or zip tying dryer sheets to the shroud outlets and seeing what happens then. yeah im kinda bored but im tired of hearing that the bus stinks when heaters are on. any ideas? and dont give me bullshit on new heater boxes, cleaning out the shroud, or checking for exhaust leaks...this is not my first bus. and these are obvious answers.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, whatever. But tell me did you have this problem with your other ones?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess you have carbon monoxide leaking in from a rusted out heaterbox. Perhaps an oil leak....

If it were me, I would just fix it correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we found that soaking the heater boxes with hot soapy water / simple green and rinsing really well several times, then rebuilding the bellows(careful of the asbestos cuffs) and vacuuming out the tubes made our stink go away. One thing you really want to watch when people start gettig headaches in an ACVW when the heat is on is for Carbon monoxide, especially pre-catalytic convertor buses. I buy a couple of these or equal and hang one of them for a year or so then swap to a new one. There are different styles from different online stores. This is an example of an 18 month tester.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13074

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I would guess you have carbon monoxide leaking in from a rusted out heaterbox. Perhaps an oil leak....

If it were me, I would just fix it correctly.

Shhhh... We aren't supposed to say that.
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box filters Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
and dont give me bullshit on new heater boxes, cleaning out the shroud, or checking for exhaust leaks...this is not my first bus. and these are obvious answers.

LOLz... I've never seen someone ask to make carbon monoxide smell nice before. And sadly, even if the poisonous gas smells like roses, you'll still get a headache and maybe pass out and die. But I guess you'll smell nice for the coroner and your clothes will be static free!!

PS - I have the exact same problem. I found new (used) heater boxes in the classifieds for $62. Will be installing them as soon as it's not cold as balls outside.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box filters Reply with quote

You have two choices: hand out oxygen masks or repair correctly. New heater boxes, cleaning out the shroud, or checking for exhaust leaks are great ideas.

420GOAT wrote:
yeah im kinda bored but im tired of hearing that the bus stinks when heaters are on. any ideas? and dont give me bullshit on new heater boxes, cleaning out the shroud, or checking for exhaust leaks...this is not my first bus. and these are obvious answers.

420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooohhhh., you guys are silly. i dont have an exaust leak fuddy duds. it just stinks like motor. and old oily heater boxes...so far Sg. kent has my best vote for good ideas...i will get a co1 meter and wash out the heater boxes and take care of the gaskets in case, but even on previous rebuilds, fresh washed out boxes, fresh case, fresh tins, the heat still sorta smells.
420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
we found that soaking the heater boxes with hot soapy water / simple green and rinsing really well several times, then rebuilding the bellows(careful of the asbestos cuffs) and vacuuming out the tubes made our stink go away. One thing you really want to watch when people start gettig headaches in an ACVW when the heat is on is for Carbon monoxide, especially pre-catalytic convertor buses. I buy a couple of these or equal and hang one of them for a year or so then swap to a new one. There are different styles from different online stores. This is an example of an 18 month tester.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/13074

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i think the bellows and heater tube are the big culprits.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
think the bellows and heater tube are the big culprits.

we pulled ours off an removed the asbestos cuffs under water, Removed the outer carpet napp stuff and tossed it as it falls apart in water. Washed the inner liner in simple green then TSP then Ammonia with rinses inbetween and let it dry. Painted the metal with high temp header paint. Then reassembled by reversing the inner liner so the dirty side faces out, used some fiberglass wool making sure none was exposed to the inside then stuffed it back in cleaned bellows. BTW - one end unscrews. Used the gray vanagon style silcone cuffs to replace the asbestos ones we removed. (put the old cuffs in a plastic bag with water, seal it and mark it asbestos. It is non-friable as a solid.) Pulled one end of each tube carefully and used a flexible shop vac hose in it to pull out debris while I ran comressed air in it too. That and cleaning the heater boxes got rid of 99% of the engine smell.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the carbon monoxide come from then? Something is leaking...

420GOAT wrote:
Oooohhhh., you guys are silly. i dont have an exaust leak fuddy duds. it just stinks like motor. and old oily heater boxes...so far Sg. kent has my best vote for good ideas...i will get a co1 meter and wash out the heater boxes and take care of the gaskets in case, but even on previous rebuilds, fresh washed out boxes, fresh case, fresh tins, the heat still sorta smells.

420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:

420GOAT wrote:

I never mentioned exhaust, just motor. it does get the air from the motor compartment where the carb, oil bath, sound deadner and old gunky shit lives.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SInce you are going that far, you may as well clean out the heater/defroster tubes further downstream from the heater boxes.

Someone here found a dead mouse in there recently.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:

420GOAT wrote:

You will never know it is there unless you recognize the symptoms. You can be cruizing along for years with no problems and then crack an heat exhanger. Best to have a CO detector. The cheapest are good for 6 months to a year and they are like $3 - $4 each. Look under flight shops as they have the same problem.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
I never mentioned exhaust, just motor. it does get the air from the motor compartment where the carb, oil bath, sound deadner and old gunky shit lives.

So what's you question all about then?
Junk air goes in and junk air obviously will come out. And then with your "old oily heater boxes" you can add that stink to the mix.
Get some of those stick-on, or plug-in, or light the candle air fresheners and fill your engine compartment with them. Or get an aerosol can of air freshener and keep spraying it into the outside air inlets. And then if it still smells junky you can open the fresh air vents and also the windows. That should solve it without worrying about the fuddy dud problems. Laughing
Hey, have a good New Year goat Wink .
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The many posts mentioning a CO detector are NOT to be ignored. Yes, 99.99% of the time this is just burnt oil smell. But...

When I was a mechanical engineer I would have said who cares, as a doctor it is a bit different. CO kills you, and if a small leak it may do so subtly, as in on a long trip when it is just you, already tired, not a lot of company to keep you awake (CO has a different affinity for different people for whatever reason) you drift off, and hit a minivan full of little kids head on. If several people complained of a headache after riding in the van the presumption IS the problem is CO, that you are the 0.01%, and it may kill you, the burden of proof (cheap and easy to figure out) is that it is not.

As a practical bit of advice if you have the ability, I've presoaked (this seems a bit smell wise counterintuitive here) old exchangers for a couple days in kerosene, then near boiling TSP soaks/washes to get the kerosene smell off, or the simple green or equivalent, or finish with the simple green. (But if you did the kerosene you probably want something that actually works, so the TSP won't offend you.) Works like a champ though. Probably boiling them in TSP alone (an old Bob Hoover cleaning/degreasing/rust removal tip) would be more than enough as well, but frankly it is tough to find something metal and not galvanized large enough to put on the camp stove to boild a set of exchangers (though I do have a stainless commercial serving tray I got at auction for this sort of purpose.) The same procedure/order followed by blowing out with a hair dryer for 5-6 hours will clean an upright oil bath air cleaner like brand new as well FWIW.

John
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO2 is coming from someplace and it's not from the oil. Maybe a crack in the heater box. That system works well when perfect but when worn out you are driving a true German gas chamber. Carbon Monoxide test will tell you what you got, then you can make your choices. But headaches from passengers is probably CO.

420GOAT wrote:
chabanais wrote:

420GOAT wrote:

420GOAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,so maybe my girl had a viable complaint, on my list is hot tanking the heater boxes, and positively sealing the muffler and exhaust up. along with getting a good carbon monoxide detector. but the question is has anyone ever used filters to get a fresher smell from the heater? thanks for all the advice, maybe im not as sensitive as those in my bus and i should really take a good assesment of the situation.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's all good then tell her to enjoy the best of 1930s German engineering!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes ....
(1) Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless
(2) Exhaust leaking in...can have negligable carbon monoxide in it (but usually some). Th exhaust alone has toxins that will cause headaches and nausia.
(3) The primary symptoms of carbon monoxide are not headaches. It is tightness across the forehead and facial muscles, light headedness and jsut plain blinking out. The after effects of those who survive are serious headaches.

(4) as oil on the heater boxes actually reaches combustion temperature...it can give off C0.....but most commonly ...oil smoke itself is toxic and will give headaches.

Yes...wash your heater boxes and repair your oil leaks. It will be a while before you get the long tubes clean an smell free. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: