Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Syncro
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: My new Syncro Reply with quote

When I was working the other day (Shoeing Horses) my customer had told me that her an her husband have split. She told me that she had lots of stuff that she was going to sell. She took me around showing me all the stuff and this Vw 4x4 looked cool. It also looked like it had been siting there a long time. I told her that I would be interested in it but wanted to find out what was wrong first. I ended up talking to her husband he told me he use to drive it. Then one day he was going to take for a spin and the right rear was froze up? He said it ran great when he parked it in 02. This guy is a real Vw guy he had a show convertible bug that they just sold. He did not do anything half way so I figured that this Van must have all the goodies on it as well. I wish I new more about what all has been done. He has all the records I just have not gotten them yet! I will keep you posted on that! Some thing I would like to know is what kind of mpg does it get? It is a camper so I know they are a little heavier. Here are some pics I hope http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2217173&id=1212576368[img][/img] She also had a sweet set of snap on tools if any of you are interested! I traded a years worth of work for the syncro = to $3000 what do you guys think it is worth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that's a smokin deal. You did good. Real good
were you able to get it running?
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet I have not been able to get the hub off to get it off the trailer. I am going to get that done this weekend. I am going to soak the block with oil for a while before I try to start it. It was infested with rats so I do not know if they have made a huge mess of the electrical system or not. All in all it looks good. I know that I need a new rocker panel it is rusted out driver side. I can't wait to have some time to get it done! Very Happy

Question my gas cap is locked up is there a trick to that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone spent some good money on that before it was parked.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure you drain the tank from the hose on the bottom by disconnecting it before you try to start it. I'd also disconnect the lines to the injectors and drain them. I take it you're planning to add gas to try to start it and I would not just add to the junk in there. Drain it and the lines, perhaps put a couple gallons in and drain it as well to flush out residual. Otherwise, you'll be jamming that crud into the fuel pump and the injectors.

DougM

Nice find.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a full matching spare to go with it. I will definitely drain all the old gas out you can smell it around the filler neck. I guess I need a new one of those to.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily for you (and me with my Syncro project as well), the Syncro model has a plastic fuel tank, so it won't be rusted. Major bonus to the Syncro. If your fuel pump is siezed (most likely), look for a post by me on a Bosch fuel pump at good price.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the upper and lower South African grills, the wheels/tires and the awning are a few $K. Shocked
Score is a huge understatement.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question my gas cap is locked up is there a trick to that?

Spray some penetrating fluid in where the key goes behind the little flap. It should open with the ignition key.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great tip. Worked well on mine as well. You then insert the key a few times simply in and out to let the penetrating oil get into the little tumble pins. From there it will get into and loosen the larger outer lock body so that the next day when you insert the key and twist it, the mechanism may be lubed enough to let you pull off the cap with the key twisted. The twisting pulls the little lock tabs in so the cap comes off.

DougM
itsasyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: My new Syncro Reply with quote

Sorry to be a killjoy, I cant revel in a fellow syncro owner
having his Westy sold for 3k by his soon to be ex.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Syncro Reply with quote

itsasyncro wrote:

Maybe if he hadn't let it rot for a few years...
itsasyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: My new Syncro Reply with quote

Seems to me he had the right to do whatever HE
wished.
We don't know why it was parked
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He let it sit in a field for 8 years because of a mechanical problem. Maybe he has no interest in it anymore since he talked to the buyer(trader) and is giving up the records and the van.
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m happy the Syncro found a good home! Can't believe your wife is not stoked about it! Hope she comes around!

Susie
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATS You say rats, most likely squirrels, mice and other varmits as well over 8 years.

You need to strip everything out and give it a very detailed cleaning, i.e. even using toothbrushes. Squirrels had had their way with mine (well I think squirrels, could have been rats too, BIG feces). Where there is feces there is urine. Best to wear gloves, I suggest mask too and take everything out. Wash everything that you can and a pressure washer comes in handy here (for use outside the van on inside things). Particularly all any carpets, seats (they come out) and a really good wipe down of all surfaces.

Of course this is all aside from the mechanical work but once you have it cleaned out (remember urine penetrates deep so surface cleaning is not enough for seats) perhaps your wife will feel a whole lot better. I can see thru all the dirt and mayhem and can see a final product and that drives me on. Put money into a good cleaner because if you get it all now then all future cleaning is a breeze.

That and your mechanical work will make it yours Yours YOURS!! Enjoy the voyage, Welcome to Vanagonitis. Nice find and obvious husband involved in its sale so all okay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info! I am going to a carpet cleaning company and get them to set of one of those sanitizing bombs. When I get done it will be crazy clean. Although I want to buy new carpet for it.
The husband was cool with the deal. I could have gotten it much less from the wife. Once I saw that they did have some value I offered her the trade. My thing was that after siting so long who knows what me be wrong? If I sell the van on down the road and make a lot of money on it I will give some back to her. They have been my customers for 10 years and the last thing I want to do is take advantage of them.
JeffDenson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowinghen wrote:
I"m happy the Syncro found a good home! Can't believe your wife is not stoked about it! Hope she comes around!

Susie
Well I keep threatening to take the motor out of her Passat. Very Happy
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like the right guy to have this rig. Welcome.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know some cute little fury chipmunks humped thier brains out on the bed right?

I would sell it to me so it can be properly disposed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: