Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED lighting upgrades FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Lintbrush, good call sacrificing aftermarket housings for your tail lights. Sounds like you have a standard thermal flasher for your blinkers; when you swap over to LEDs they need an electronic flasher to blink. You can find them at any auto parts store for less than $10.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Lintbrush, good call sacrificing aftermarket housings for your tail lights. Sounds like you have a standard thermal flasher for your blinkers; when you swap over to LEDs they need an electronic flasher to blink. You can find them at any auto parts store for less than $10.

They blink, just my dash signal light doesn't trigger. Also, no clicking.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Hey there. I bought the wedge-type LED's from superbrightleds.com in a cool blue color for the fuel guage and speedometer, they are awesome!

The only thing left is my tachometer. It is an old VDO unit. I bought it here, works great! Just the bulb is the old style, push down and quarter turn to plug in.
VDO 600 819 Type B Plastic Bulb Socket | 600 804 Type B 11/32" (9mm) Metal Base Bulb
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I couldn't read the writing on the bulb, but I bought some close-looking LED bulbs off fleabay that appeared correct.
They plug in and hook up fine, but do not light up so they must be wrong?

Does anyone know the correct LED bulb to buy for this type guage/connection?
Also, while we're at it, the sockets that the wedges plug into, I am missing one on my guage. The small spade connector is present, but the black socket is not. Does Superbright sell these too or someone else?:

Maybe if I could find a new socket, I could make it work with the tachometer. I'll try that, what do you guys think?

Edited Tcash
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Wheat bulbs for dash:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature...t-car/227/

I did mine in green works well.

Don't replace your Gen light.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

[quote]Wheat bulbs for dash: [quote]

I used the cool blue wedge bulbs, worked great. I'm talking about the black sockets they plug into. I need another one, anyone know where to get one?
Also, the large push-in and twist style that I show in the picture, didn't work on my old VDO whereas the traditional bulb I have does work. Anyone know the correct LED bulb to buy for this guage?
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Here's the link for those in-dash bulb holders from Just Kampers:

http://www.justkampers.com/141-957-397-a-dashboard-bulb-holder-for-vw-t2-1968-1979.html

Separately, i'm awaiting my LED bulbs from Vintage Car LED (3500)...they should come in after work today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Sunny, that helped for sure. I also finally found the part number for the wheat bulb. It is a specific, made by VDO bulb, part number 600-804. So, don't think I'll find an LED replacement. No biggie, I'll buy some of those sockets and replace the light in the tach with the smaller socket/wedge LED.
Thanks again
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
So, don't think I'll find an LED replacement.

Ugh... the link I posted was an LED replacement...
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Quote:
Ugh... the link I posted was an LED replacement...

Will your LED fit the VDO guage with this socket?: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D957%2D397%2DPR

It appears to be the standard wedge style you linked to. Am I wrong?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Wheat bulb?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature...t-car/228/

The earlier link I posted should work, too.

This is what I have in my dashboard:

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
Last summer prior to a huge cross-country road trip I put in "V16 Turbo LED H4 Bulbs" from ebay into my hella housings. I'd say it was a worthwhile upgrade although the beam pattern is not ideal I'd say visibility was improved and it's not blinding to oncoming drivers. Although you can see noticeable "gaps" in the garage door pic, I think that's because the bus is parked very close (maybe 15 feet). At larger distances the gaps seem to blend together although some noticeable "lumpiness" remains.

Low:

High:

If that's what your low & high beams are like after the LED "upgrade", I shudder to think what your headlights were like before! Shocked

In 1976, I retro-fitted P45t flanged 60/55W H4 quartz-halogen headlamp bulbs into the existing headlamps of my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental, which when properly adjusted using an optical beam-aimer at the MOT testing station, were far superior to those LED lamps and the later upgrade in 1989 with P45t flanged 100/80W H4 quartz-halogen headlamp bulbs were even better. Very Happy

I strongly suspect that my 55W quartz-halogen low beam, was as good as if not better than your present LED high beam.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Nigel, I wish you could comment in every thread.

NASkeet wrote:
In 1976, I retro-fitted P45t flanged 60/55W H4 quartz-halogen headlamp bulbs into the existing headlamps of my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental, which when properly adjusted using an optical beam-aimer at the MOT testing station, were far superior to those LED lamps and the later upgrade in 1989 with P45t flanged 100/80W H4 quartz-halogen headlamp bulbs were even better. Very Happy

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Here's a topic thread that I shall read in more details when I get time:

PistonHeads » Gassing Station » TVR » Chimaera » LED Headlights

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1455474

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

If that's what your low & high beams are like after the LED "upgrade", I shudder to think what your headlights were like before! Shocked

I strongly suspect that my 55W quartz-halogen low beam, was as good as if not better than your present LED high beam.

Prior to the LED's I had 55W quartz-halogen H4's.

I replaced one at a time and aimed to the same point at a wall. Sorry I don't have the comparison photos. There is no question the LED's are brighter. There's also no question the beam pattern is not as uniform. But they are not blinding to oncoming drivers, the cutoff is in the same place and there is not a lot of spillover upwards (my main concern). I'm aware that the more blue light is partly psychological (perceived as more bright). But, yes, it absolutely lights up the road better than the 55W. I am happy with the conversion and they haven't failed me yet. In the photo's I posted, maybe it's not clear, but the distance covered is quite high, it was taken in the remote desert of Nevada on a clear moonless night and it's lighting up bushes at least a hundred yards away.

I started my bus ownership with sealed beam halogens.... dim.
Converted to Hella H4's... much, much better
Then converted to LED's... a noticeable improvement

I'm not cheerleeding the LED's, just posting my experience. Based on what I've read, other people have had reliability issues with the fan-cooled LED's so they may not be a good investment. But so far they've been fine for me and brighter than the H4's.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Prior to the LED's I had 55W quartz-halogen H4's.

I replaced one at a time and aimed to the same point at a wall. Sorry I don't have the comparison photos. There is no question the LED's are brighter. There's also no question the beam pattern is not as uniform. But they are not blinding to oncoming drivers, the cutoff is in the same place and there is not a lot of spillover upwards (my main concern). I'm aware that the more blue light is partly psychological (perceived as more bright). But, yes, it absolutely lights up the road better than the 55W. I am happy with the conversion and they haven't failed me yet. In the photo's I posted, maybe it's not clear, but the distance covered is quite high, it was taken in the remote desert of Nevada on a clear moonless night and it's lighting up bushes at least a hundred yards away.

I started my bus ownership with sealed beam halogens.... dim.
Converted to Hella H4's... much, much better
Then converted to LED's... a noticeable improvement

I'm not cheerleeding the LED's, just posting my experience. Based on what I've read, other people have had reliability issues with the fan-cooled LED's so they may not be a good investment. But so far they've been fine for me and brighter than the H4's.

When you refer to lighting up bushes at > 100 yards, is this for low beam or high beam? I would hope that high beam would illuminate the road and surrounding shrubbery at considerably more than 100 yards; my 60W H4 quartz-halogen bulbs (in Hella non-H4 headlamp units) certainly did and my 7 inch Lucas 20-20 Homofocal auxiliary driving lamps, with 55W H3 quartz-halogen bulbs, would illuminate a white 5-bar gate at about 1/3 of a mile.

Nigel A. Skeet

Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

- 8" flexible LED strips in a formerly for-parts Westfalia inside camping light (the one that was originally a fluorescent tube bulb)

Can you explain this more. I want to do this but ive never messed with leds. Can i use my factory switch? Since this runs off of my starting battery. Is there a direct replacement bulb for this? Should i try to rewire this to my aux battery?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

LED lights are pretty easy. You can't dim them unless you have a special module, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dimming-Controller-Adjustable-Brightness-Zitrades/dp/B007V1B0W8

You can just wire them in like normal. If you want to use one as a turn signal, however, you just need to use a relay designed for LEDs otherwise they will blink super fast.

Which lights are best for certain applications is another discussion.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

When you refer to lighting up bushes at > 100 yards, is this for low beam or high beam? I would hope that high beam would illuminate the road and surrounding shrubbery at considerably more than 100 yards; my 60W H4 quartz-halogen bulbs (in Hella non-H4 headlamp units) certainly did and my 7 inch Lucas 20-20 Homofocal auxiliary driving lamps, with 55W H3 quartz-halogen bulbs, would illuminate a white 5-bar gate at about 1/3 of a mile.

This is a bizzare conversation to have. I didn't go out and measure, nor did I aim it a reflective white gate. Pictures only show so much because of variability in exposure, terrain, etc. The only way to compare is side by side, which I have done. I am simply offering my personal observation that the LED light is brighter then the H4 when aimed to the same point and it does a fine job of lighting up the road. I've driven enough cars in my life to know when headlights are doing a proper job and when they aren't. I guess that's all I have to say on the subject.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
LED lights are pretty easy. You can't dim them unless you have a special module, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dimming-Controller-Adjustable-Brightness-Zitrades/dp/B007V1B0W8

You can just wire them in like normal. If you want to use one as a turn signal, however, you just need to use a relay designed for LEDs otherwise they will blink super fast.

Which lights are best for certain applications is another discussion.

I'm thinking about the possibility of using white/orange LEDs, with clear, white turn-signal lamp lenses, as combined orange turn-signals cum white daytime running lights, which seem to be the norm on several ultra-modern cars here.

This would avoid the need to use either separate daytime running lights or 80W quartz-halogen dipped headlamps during the day, when driving in many European & Scandinavian countries, where their use is otherwise obligatory.

Nigel A. Skeet

mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Weird what it does to your license plate....... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: