Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED lighting upgrades FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:
But then I'm also a freak who has limited ability to see IR light sources.

interesting. I have seen x-ray flashes on occasion but never looked to see if IR was different. I know from tests that my eyes see green as a different wave length than others do. It is not color-blind as I can see it, however my eyes peak at different green frequencies than the average person.

Do you see it as IR light at night, say a car hood glowing from heat or only when it jumps up into the lower red bands?

Well, You know how those IR light sources for security cameras etc. are meant to be all stealthy and invisible so people don't realise they are being watched? I only recently found out I'm not supposed to be able to see the IR illumination. It's sort of a weird red that I can't focus on.
I'm not sure if it's related but even though lights like halogen and fluoros are bright, but I feel like there's something missing when I use them in the house. Like it's bright enough but still dark. Same for car headlights.
I just put it down to being put together wrong somehow because a decent EM field causes a dull aching, and being anywhere near ionizing radiation feels like someone is jamming pins into me. I guess that's useful in a nuclear war but under normal circumstances it just means I'm scared of ever needing to have a scan that uses radioactive dye.

Oh I can also see the pulses from remote controls. Usually the ones without the filter on them so probably near IR.

I don't know about the red, near-IR LEDs. I can see those too, but that's because they are near-IR, and in the visible wavelength obviously. Is that what you're talking about?

Also, people saying LEDs are not as bright - it's just flat out not true, and quite honestly, I don't know why this it's still going around. Given that incandescents have a luminous efficacy of around 13-18 lm/watt, and LEDs get, at the very minimum, 60 lm/w when you initially turn them on (usually at least 80 lm/w though), I think everyone is simply picking the wrong style of light and reflector. On raw light output, the LED will put out more light, but as for a drop-in, it doesn't work too well compared to an omnidirectional source like incandescents. To get a decent spot with such a shallow reflector space, you need a small die, ala an emitter like an SST-90, and a good, smooth parabolic reflector instead of those today that are optimized for a specific beam pattern out an incandescent.

I'm personally going to hopefully move everything over to LED to keep my generator's load low, so I can run other cool stuff at night as well.
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trucklite headlights Reply with quote

a_and_b1228 wrote:
I have been running the Trucklite LED headlights on my 79 Bus and its had been a huge improvement at night. The cost is pretty high upfront but it decreased the load on my electrical system significantly. I will post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Awesome. I first saw them on military vehicles at work, so I turned em on- very nice light. I'm sold- where and how much? I saw Truckliite's website, but found no way to order. Saw them in an off road magazine, I believe they were around 200 bones for the pair.
I would like to learn more.
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trucklite headlights Reply with quote

a_and_b1228 wrote:
I have been running the Trucklite LED headlights on my 79 Bus and its had been a huge improvement at night. The cost is pretty high upfront but it decreased the load on my electrical system significantly. I will post pics if anyone wants to see them.

I'd love to see some pictures. Will they just drop right in, or did you have to modify or fabricate something to make them fit?

greenbus pilot wrote:
Awesome. I first saw them on military vehicles at work, so I turned em on- very nice light. I'm sold- where and how much? I saw Truckliite's website, but found no way to order. Saw them in an off road magazine, I believe they were around 200 bones for the pair.
I would like to learn more.

They are pretty expensive, $500 for a pair.

http://www.levineautoparts.com/ledheadlight.html
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trucklite headlights Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:

They are pretty expensive, $500 for a pair.

that is a lot of headlamp bulbs. Perhaps if they drop in price to be $100-$150 each then they would be competitive with replacement assemblies.
No matter what I couldn't use them though. Those integrated parking light bulbs really do make substitution a PITA.
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think itīs better to compare the price to a proper HID setup.

Compared to HID, this is much more reliable, easier to install and has comparable light output.
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathieu2k4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does somebody have a picture of it on a bay windows?
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some baywindow LED tail light upgrade kits in the Mid America Motorworks catalog, has anyone tried those or can comment on them?
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used a flexible 10 inch led strip from pep boys. Ran it along the inside of the gauge housing and wired it to the light switch. No more squinting at night for me. Smile

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you wear sunglasses at night now?

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krautski wrote:
Do you wear sunglasses at night now?

its about as bright as a new car's gauge display, my cellphone camera makes it look a bit blinding.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a_and_b1228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Here are the headlight pics. Reply with quote

[/img]

They put off a lot more light than a sealed or H4 bulb and use much less power. I was burning fuses with the H4 and now dont have that problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Here are the headlight pics. Reply with quote

a_and_b1228 wrote:
[/img]

They put off a lot more light than a sealed or H4 bulb and use much less power. I was burning fuses with the H4 and now dont have that problem.

Looks sweet. Can you post a pic with the lights on, and the field of view at night, maybe? Thanks!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you order the LED headlights from this company?

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...;langId=-1
sofakingcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can get them at NAPA.. had a guy just come back from a tour saying they used them on there military vehicles and he wanted me to look them up and I remember they were available in the area.. kinda pricey tho and wish I remember the part number. I know if you give the trucklite people a call they will give you a part number. I may get them but only bc I get a discount. Wink
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a discount too, a part number would be epic! also pics! Laughing
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military has used that brand on 100,000+ vehicles and that was from 2009.

Would they mount into the buckets OK?
sofakingcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones the dude had me look up were 7in round i believe.. isnt that the correct size?
a_and_b1228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get a night shot next to my beetle tonight. I bought them off ebay but here is the article from trucklite. I had no issues with mounting they fit into the original place with no issues. Did a little cut and re end the wire to fit the h-4 socket. It was easy and a huge improvement. Oh and the trucklite part number is 27250C

trucklite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
sofakingcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that sounds right.. call up any napa and give them that part number and they should be able to look it up.
pitbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it!! I ordered enough dash LEDs for my bus, ghia & ragtop, I set aside until a warm day Cool Well the warm days are here (60f) and I can't remember where I put those damn lights!!!! I have parts bins for each car....not in any of them.... I bet my wife "put them away" for me.... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: