Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED lighting upgrades FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Looks great! I'm planning on ding exactly this bus with red!
Not a Priest.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Plenty of LEDs in my '75 Westy, too...I use:

- the Vintage LED bulbs for the dash lights, but also have some 2" multi-led strips stuck in the cluster housing as well, and wedge LED bulbs in the VDO gauges, all warm white, controlled by a PWM rheostat to take the burden off the stock light switch (and to actually control the dimming correctly).

- Radiantz 1157/dual-intensity direct base red taillights...also on the Fastback
http://chromeglow.com/products/bulbs-and-clusters/...-radiantz/

- Radiantz 1157/dual-intensity amber front turn signals/parking lights

- (2) 2" strips white LED instead of the stock incandescent bulb in the rear license plate light

- Radiantz 10" flexible LED strip for mty 3rd brake light (VERY bright)
http://www.radiantz.com/Ampd-Flex-strips-p/288.htm

- Radiantz hard-wire 1.85" round amber dual-intensity LED modules for the operable front side marker lights in the doors (behind the stock amber reflectors)

- Generic red wedge LED bulbs for the rear side marker lights

- 8" flexible LED strips in a formerly for-parts Westfalia inside camping light (the one that was originally a fluorescent tube bulb)

- LED festoon bulb (warm white) in the front interior light

Probably the only issue right now is that I think my front bulbs might be allowing voltage from the turn signal circuit to seep into the parking light circuit when my parking/headlights are not on...so without the parking/headlights on and my turn signals on, the parking light circuit blinks with the turn signals faintly. I think I probably need different bulbs up there or some diode isolators.

Hope this helps!

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

The gauge cluster originally used white/yellow wheat bulbs held in a green transparent bubble so I just went with green LEDs since it seemed as though VW originally intended the cluster lights to be green.

The nice thing about my Retrosound stereo is you can change the color of the illumination so I selected green. I thought of using white light LED lights but the green gives off a cool haze.

I plan on adding more lights where needed definitely neat how little juice they draw.

DougB wrote:
all warm white,

BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

DougB wrote:

- Radiantz 1157/dual-intensity direct base red taillights...also on the Fastback

- Doug Smile

Are the tail lights noticeably brighter? Plug and play?

Led strip worth it? Where did you place it and how is it wired?

Thanks for all the help
Not a Priest.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

These look pretty cool for putting in the 68-72 turn signals and fully filling them with light:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://chromeglow.com/products/turn-signals/flexible-arrays/led-flexible-arrays-by-radiantz/

I may need to order some for a project...
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

I used something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Universal-Motorcycle-Bi...mp;vxp=mtr

You can see on underside of bumper here
Not a Priest.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Tritessa picked up a pair of these backup lights for me from EBay. I believe he told me they were $6. What a guy Very Happy thanks buddy. I know the picture is crap like the rest of my pictures. But they are bright as hell and they spread the light nicely. See how they light up the side of the house to the right. The incandescent bulbs before seemed useless to me. So much so I didn't know how long they were not working until Stuart told me one night Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
DougB wrote:

- Doug Smile

Are the tail lights noticeably brighter? Plug and play?

Led strip worth it? Where did you place it and how is it wired?

Thanks for all the help

Hey BusPriest,

Yes, I did a side-by-side with regular incandescents and the Radiantz taillights are brighter...the LED strip is really the star of the show as a third brake light. I bought a strip that was as wide as the license place, and had originally planned on mounting it on the plate frame...but instead decided to mount it on the curved protuberance under which the license plate light exists...I just stuck this strip across that area, making it a little higher on the engine lid than the strip would have been had I mounted it on the plate frame.

Wiring-wise, I drilled a very small hole in the engine hatch, at the end of the strip once the strip was centered, for the wire to pass through...then I followed the same basic path as the license plate light and eventually tapped into the brake circuit with piggyback spade connectors in the left taillight housing.

All in all I'm really happy with the combination, and the combined results of my LED upgrades in general. It took me a bit to get here, and there has definitely been some cash spent on these upgrades, but the performance is really solid for the price paid, IMO.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, if need...I can also post some pics if needed as I have the bus with me today.

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

It would be a hassle not worth it but I wonder what one side normal bulb vs other side led is like for tail lights. Don't do this... I'm just wondering.

Thanks for response Smile
Not a Priest.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Tritessa picked up a pair of these backup lights for me from EBay. I believe he told me they were $6. What a guy Very Happy thanks buddy. I know the picture is crap like the rest of my pictures. But they are bright as hell and they spread the light nicely. See how they light up the side of the house to the right. The incandescent bulbs before seemed useless to me. So much so I didn't know how long they were not working until Stuart told me one night Shocked

Do you have a part number on these bulbs?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:

These be them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181737448368

No connection to the seller other than being happy with the item and shipping speed.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:

These be them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181737448368

No connection to the seller other than being happy with the item and shipping speed.

Thanks! Ordered. Will make pulling into my camping spot much easier after night fishing!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Thanks! Ordered. Will make pulling into my camping spot much easier after night fishing!

They do light up the world behind you. Not *quite* as good as rear-mouned foglights, but not as obvious as rear-mounted foglights either. Laughing
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Upgraded my rear side marker lights to LED.

Light is brighter and fills the housing more fully. And uses less juice, runs cool, and will last almost forever.

Before:

During:

After:

My next project is to fit this in my front turn signal housings (but in amber) so it will not only totally fill the turn housings but be super bright and look awesome. You can cut it down so it will fit exactly inside. I hope to have it done by the end of this month as soon as I get the correct LED relay.

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
My next project is to fit this in my front turn signal housings (but in amber) so it will not only totally fill the turn housings but be super bright and look awesome. You can cut it down so it will fit exactly inside. I hope to have it done by the end of this month as soon as I get the correct LED relay.

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished install, there's definitely a lot of room for creative lighting upgrades in the early bay front turn signals. What type of light is that?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing your finished install, there's definitely a lot of room for creative lighting upgrades in the early bay front turn signals. What type of light is that?

LED tube light.

I am planning on trimming it and running a shirt hanger wire inside the tube (there is an LED strip that just rests in there) to keep it rigid then screwing in a tiny version of this on each side of the front of the turn signal housing:

So it should stretch right across and lay straight and flat.

Later this Summer I'll upgrade to LED headlights, too.
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

I guess I should add these here, my recent backup LED upgrades. 7W LED bulbs in the stock backup lights and the 18W flood light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-1550LM-Mini-6-Inch...SwPhdVB-A9
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Last summer prior to a huge cross-country road trip I put in "V16 Turbo LED H4 Bulbs" from ebay into my hella housings. I'd say it was a worthwhile upgrade although the beam pattern is not ideal I'd say visibility was improved and it's not blinding to oncoming drivers. Although you can see noticeable "gaps" in the garage door pic, I think that's because the bus is parked very close (maybe 15 feet). At larger distances the gaps seem to blend together although some noticeable "lumpiness" remains.

Low:

High:

Low:

High:

chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

So the plan is to cut these in half and mount them to the center of my front turn signal housings. I have all the hardware and I have a spare set of housings at home.

These things are super bright and should completely fill the front turn signals with light!

lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

My LED tail light assemblies required grind out the bulb seat in the housing. I didn't want to do that to my originals so I bought these from WW:

And installed the units as instructed:

Results hard to capture, but here is my passenger side in for comparison:

Also replaced my reverse bulbs with LED too. My original housing seemed to not have a good ground so I got these from WW. The ground tang off the rear housing was missing

They seem brighter and definitely whiter:

Only issue is my dash signal indicator doesn't show and no audible clicking. I think I need a different switch?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: