Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED lighting upgrades FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

I think you're going to hate the pattern at night. they need to "flood" more and the LED's seem to "spot"

at least that was my observation

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

LEDs are great for being 'bright' for someone behind you but as far as being a directed light they may not been ideal for actual illumination.

You could do a light meter or an 'eyeball' test but they tend to have a more focused beam.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Am working on a LED upgrade for the dash instruments. I used Pilot CZ-3143W flexible LED strips (2 to a package, only 1 needed, Pep Boys, etc.). These are silicone rubber encased 12 inch LED strip lights rated for 12 volts. For testing, a junk instrument cluster (courtesy AeroMech) was modified.

Unlit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lit up:

Inside:

Details:

Small holes were drilled into the plastic case, and tie wire was used to secure the LED strip. The strip clears the instruments. A little juggling is needed to get them back into the case.

Am working on a dimmer module which uses the original headlight switch dimmer control as a control input. It's working nicely, so far - adjustable from dark to full brightness. Need to do some packaging and in-the-vehicle testing.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy_West
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

Looks nice telford! I did something similar with my cluster using a strip of red led lights. I suggest putting a little dab of silicone onto the holes where the wires go through to hold your LED strips in place. This will keep out the dust.

@GoneWithTheWesty
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

mattlockwood wrote:

Weird what it does to your license plate....... Laughing

What is equally weird is that the rear turn-signal lenses seem to have changed from the sensible orange colour (as is the norm outside North America), to red, matching the tail lights and brake lights!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: VDO LED Bulb Upgrade Reply with quote

To link to this post copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8550630#8550630]VDO LED Bulb Upgrade[/url]

VDO LED Bulb Upgrade
https://www.vdo-instruments.com/accessories/led-bulb-upgrade.html

VDO 600 840 Type E Plastic Bulb Socket
VDO 600 815 Type E Wedge Based Bulb, 12V 3.4W
VDO 600 886 Type E LED Upgrade, White
| White 600 886 |Red 600 878 | Green 600 879 | Blue 600 880 | Amber 600 881 |
LED Cross 158 168 194

VDO 600 818 Type B Steel Bulb Socket 11/32" (9MM) Bulb
VDO 600 819 Type B Plastic Bulb Socket 11/32" (9MM) Bulb 15/32" Socket Base
VDO 600 804 Type B 11/32" (9mm) Metal Base Bulb, 12V, 2W
VDO 600 806 Type B 11/32" (9mm) Metal Base Bulb, 12V, 2W
LED Cross BA9s

Last edited by Tcash on Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

What is equally weird is that the rear turn-signal lenses seem to have changed from the sensible orange colour (as is the norm outside North America), to red, matching the tail lights and brake lights!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Make sure the LED bulb color matches the lens color. For example, amber turn signal amber LED bulb; red brake light red LED bulb.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

What relay are you guys running to convert your turn signals?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

chabanais was working that out. Don't know if he found one or not? Maybe pm him.
Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

VDO LED light
telford dorr wrote:
Update: bent over and bought the official VDO LED bulbs (ouch!).

These bulbs have four forward facing LEDs each, arranged as two series-wired pairs in parallel. Below the LEDs is a full-wave diode bridge rectifier (makes them polarity-insensitive) and some series resistors.

They fit. They dim. They work....

Here's the results (note: the dimmer was turned most of the way up to get enough light for a hand-held pic with some semblance of focus..)

Last edited by Tcash on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

FYI: these ^^^ are VDO 600-886 bulbs and are used in the tachometer. See this post for a review of how they actually worked out (hint: less than optimal).

[Somehow there are two threads going on this.]

Another thing: these 194-W4-32 lamps from superbrightleds.com look suspiciously identical to VDO 600-886 bulbs (but at 1/6th the price). Even the labeling printed on the lamps is the same. But the SBL bulbs are labeled "non-dimmable" in the spec sheet while the VDO's dim nicely. Would someone from SBL like to explain this? What exactly makes your lamps "non-dimmable"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
VDO LED light
telford dorr wrote:
Update: bent over and bought the official VDO LED bulbs (ouch!).

These bulbs have four forward facing LEDs each, arranged as two series-wired pairs in parallel. Below the LEDs is a full-wave diode bridge rectifier (makes them polarity-insensitive) and some series resistors.

They fit. They dim. They work....

Here's the results (note: the dimmer was turned most of the way up to get enough light for a hand-held pic with some semblance of focus..)

I fear that this degree of instrument illumination might be too bright for me and compromise night-vision of the dark-adapted eye. Of course one could avoid this problem by using red LEDs; one's rods in the retina being insensitive to red light. Very Happy

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I fear that this degree of instrument illumination might be too bright for me and compromise night-vision of the dark-adapted eye.

Not to worry: the lighting is on a dimmer which can be set anywhere between completely dark to what you see above.
As stated, the dimmer was turned most of the way up to get enough light for a hand-held photo with some semblance of focus..

I did try red LEDs and the color just didn't work for me. The readability of the instrument was poor compared to white.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: LED Bulb Electronic Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Something like this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-insta...r/784/838/

Tcash wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:

chabanais was working that out. Don't know if he found one or not? Maybe pm him.
Good luck
Tcash

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

Chanabis, did that one work for you?
I'm in a 77 bus and would love to upgrade all the lights to LED (stop/turn/tail/sidemarkers) but obviously need to figure out which relay is going to allow everything to work at a normal flash rate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

As far as the instrument panel goes, I have a few comments...

1) If you change the indicator lamps to LED.. after a few night drives, you'll really regret it. They are uncomfortably bright. I'm talking specifically about the high beam lamp and both blinkers.

2) the ambient lighting in the cluster itself is a great LED upgrade, with flexible LED strips. You get much better illumination. However, the stock dimmer rheostat may not work well with LEDs, so adding a PWM controller is a good standby option.

3) you will get uneven illumination of the gauges if you wrap the LED tape around the inner oval area. The outside edges are all illuminated directly, but the inside edges only get whatever ambient light is bouncing around the cluster. There is a noticeable light falloff.
I put a center strip on the metal backing plate but it is an imperfect solution:

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
... I... obviously need to figure out which relay is going to allow everything to work at a normal flash rate.

easy, you need a solid state relay. Parts stores carry both thermal relays and solid state relays. Thermal relays are old school; they heat up a bimetal strip blah blah blah. Solid state relays use an IC chip (assuming a 555 timer chip) to operate the relay contacts at a fixed rate.

The relay packaging should list it pretty clearly.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

Yep, given I'm in NA and have single bulb buckets (and an LED conversion) that both utilize just the top portion of the lens, I can't have the more "sensible" amber/red lenses. If I had to do it over, I would switch to the euro style buckets and lenses.

chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

It just pops in and you're good.

Did back side lights:

Under dash lights:

Gauge lights:

Head lights:

Rear turn signals:

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Chanabis, did that one work for you?
I'm in a 77 bus and would love to upgrade all the lights to LED (stop/turn/tail/sidemarkers) but obviously need to figure out which relay is going to allow everything to work at a normal flash rate.

zaidigonzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting upgrades FAQ Reply with quote

Did all the lights in my 79 westy.
Everything works except turn signals.
With ignition on, they light up and stay on when just hit the turn signal lever to either side/ no flash.
Emergency flashers work all 4 corners only if ignition off. Really fast but they work.
If you turn ignition to on, the rapid flashing stops and lights go off...on the hazzards

I used all superbrightleds bulbs.
Any ideas to get my turn signals to work / i dont care if they flash fast. I just want the turn signals to flash with ignition on
And hazzards to flash with ignition on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: