Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Wiper Motor Reply with quote

I wsa hitting my wiper motor with a test light today to figure out weather it is in the wiring or the motor. It has 1 speed and does not go into the rest position by its self. Wile using the test light I touched the top two wire with the test light and it automaticaly went to the rest position. So would that be in the motor or the wiring? I'm pretty sure its the motor, but just wanted to double check before I bought another one.
Thanks
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the motor works, odds are the motor works... I would think you have loose or corroded terminals... (wiring)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
If the motor works, odds are the motor works... I would think you have loose or corroded terminals... (wiring)
Or a dirty oily armiture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best stuff to oil it with? Where do you oil it at?
Thanks
bigbussur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't oil it, clean it with some electrical cleaner, all the tiny spaces in between need to be cleaned(on the armature, the mechanical part that spins), use a toothpick but nothing metallic. Good luck
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a webpage on the complete disassembly and repair of the wiper motor and it's gearbox. For the life of me I can;t find it anymore.

This link may help you http://www.vw-resource.com/wipers.html#motor

My wipers have 2 speeds, slow and slower. I suspect 36 year old gearing grease has something to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your motor needs a good cleaning and possibly some restoration to the terminals. Kubelmann did a nice write up on how to disassemble the wiper motor some time back and I added a bunch of pictures about 6 months ago. I suggest you take the motor apart, clean the old grease and reassemble it. I bet your motor will work like new. Check out the following link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4672672&highlight=#4672672
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to make sure my wire are in the right place. Does anyone have a diagram on which wires go where?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a wiring diagram in the technical section for the 181. Might want to download and save it to your computer.

Kubelmann did a writeup on Wiper Motor rebuild. It's on his CD

There's a series of nice photos in the gallery on wiper motor disassembly. Just do a search the 181 photo gallery using the word "wiper"

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
Emeritusx wrote:

How can you make an oily armature turn by touching a wire? The symptom shows faulty circuitry. The OP wrote "Wile using the test light I touched the top two wire with the test light and it automaticaly went to the rest position."

Now, you are probably correct in the fact that the motor does need reworking. 30 year old grime is truly nasty stuff and will affect the motor's performance - Mine gets hotter than a firecracker, and still needs rework, but it still clears the snow off the window for now Smile.

Anyway good info here, I know I will be using it when I finally find time to rebuild my wiper motor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of us who rebuild these motors often enough that we know how to set the spacing and ensure all the small parts are in the correct location and have the parts inventory to replace all worn or broken or missing parts. Most of the wiper motors I rebuild have been "invaded" prior to me getting it. This tends to make rebuilding them more difficult. It is like the old mechanic joke:

Repair item $50
You watch $60
You help $70
You already worked on it $100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to remind my fellow "Thing-ers" that in many instances corroded gummed up wiper pivots are the cause of slow wipers and burned up wiper motors.

I've seen the passenger side pivot so corroded that it spun in the body, turning the jam nut and all.

So, a little penetrating oil here goes a long way.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point! Also worn arms and especially the connecting rod also adds plenty of unwanted friction to an already underpowered system. I have rebuilt the passenger side pivot and replace the arms, connecting rod and blades and suddenly, as if by magic, the motor can turn the system much more freely and quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the average speed the wipers should be working at? I suppose it gould be measured in wipes per minute (WPM). I think the wiper blades need to be off the windshield to get a good measurement.

Measured mine

Slow Speed 23 WPM
Fast Speed 56 WPM
sdwalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
Ferretkona wrote:
Emeritusx wrote:

How can you make an oily armature turn by touching a wire? The symptom shows faulty circuitry. The OP wrote "Wile using the test light I touched the top two wire with the test light and it automaticaly went to the rest position."

Now, you are probably correct in the fact that the motor does need reworking. 30 year old grime is truly nasty stuff and will affect the motor's performance - Mine gets hotter than a firecracker, and still needs rework, but it still clears the snow off the window for now Smile.

Anyway good info here, I know I will be using it when I finally find time to rebuild my wiper motor

When mine stopped parking, it was due to a broken rivet on one of the contacts on the side of the motor. When I started to repair the broken contact, I went ahead and followed Kubelmann's instructions that he posted in the forum to disassemble and clean the gearbox and motor.

I would guess that you are right, the issue lies with the contacts on the side of the motor rather than the motor itself. Carmann - Let us know what you find out.

Good luck and have fun.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all truth what the Kmann said makes sense to me, I will probably just see when he has time to rebuild mine, or core swap it for a rebuilt one. I am lucky in the fact that mine looks like it has never been molestered...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel honored with your post especially from who we all know is a very respected and knowledgeable Thing community member. I get at least 3 calls per week from folks wanting to buy "parts" to fix their wiper motors. I get varied reactions when I attempt to explain that I scour salvage at my time and expense, and all other sources to find as new parts to properly rebuild motors. This motor is not a simple machine. It has lots of funny parts and required lubricants that are missing, broken or worn out on most of the units I have rebuilt. Alternately, you can do what I did years ago to my 68 bug on a cross county trip from Allen Town _ PA to San Francisco. During hurricane Agnes as a result of complete system failure, I removed the wiper system save the arms and blades and attached leather shoe laces to each arm routing it through the wing vents I had a cord that I could use to wipe the windshield.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two speeds, slow and slower..
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need more help. I ordered a motor fron TTS. I got a pretty good deal on it by trading in a couple of cores. So I hooked the new one up and it was doing the same thing as it used to. It won't go to the rest position and it only works the middle position. So I got behind the the switch and wiggled the wires a bit and it automaticly went into the rest position. But it still stops when the switch is in the top position. Any suggestions on how to get it to work? Does anyone have a diagram on the wiper wires?
Thanks.
Lettuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took apart my motor and replaced the grease, and cleaned up the motor end.

If the commutator is very worn, take it to an RC car hobby shop, they might be able to spin it in a motor lathe and clean it up. If not, you might be able to get away with very fine steel wool or copy paper. They might have workable brush replacements also. Another tip is to take a ballpoint pen, and run the brass ball on the tip down edges of the commutator, it will clean up and put a very slight bevel on the edges so the brushes won't skip and will last longer. If you run the motor and there are more than just a few sparks between the brushes and the commutator, it probably can be cleaned up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: