Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory rear anti-sway bar mounts?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Factory rear anti-sway bar mounts? Reply with quote

So I had the wheels off of my Ghia painting the fender wells and I noticed that there is a hole above the axle on each wide with a pair of threaded studs. In looking through the hole, it looks to be clear all the way through to the opposite side. Were these intended for a factory rear sway bar? If not, what should be mounted to them? Thanks.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single picture is worth a thousand words... Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be you have a 67/68?
If so it is the mount for a factory camber compensator or "Z" bar

You can see an operating rod attached to the mount on the axle;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a diagram of what it looks like;

You can PM me if you are looking for a replacement.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '73, although that looks like the mount would be right. Perhaps it's just a leftover from when those Z bars were used.

Here's the picture; sorry, I'd already put my wheels back on.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Z" bar was first used on the 67 VW's with swingaxle rears to address the issue of wheel tuck and were discontinued after the 68 model year. Once IRS was introduced for 1969 the bar was no longer needed. I guess VW didn't want to spend money on a new stamping die?

Mike Gerson

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be my guess. How thick is the equalizer bar? It looks like it would be pretty simple to use the end bushings for a custom antisway bar. I've got the normal kind in, but if someone was super low it might be an option.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdevotee wrote:
How thick is the equalizer bar?

Around 15mm or so.

Mike Gerson

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] It looks like it would be pretty simple to use the end bushings for a custom antisway bar. [quote]

Adding a rear anti-sway bar to a car already prone to snap oversteer is not a good idea. This will only increase the rear end's tendenancy to break loose.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Adding a rear anti-sway bar to a car already prone to snap oversteer is not a good idea. This will only increase the rear end's tendenancy to break loose.

There are a lot of people that would disagree.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be one of them. I put 3/4" bars on both ends of my Ghia and I still push long before anything exciting happens. The only time I'm had the back end snap out on me was in the wet, on a sharp off-camber curve, when I gave it a little too much gas. It was a little too exciting, but I figure somthing similar would have happened in any rear wheel drive automobile.
mlhsquared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that rear anti-sway bars work well on an IRS car but are a bad idea on swing axle cars. I will leave it to the experts to explain why, but that's what my limited research has led me to conclude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlhsquared wrote:
My understanding is that rear anti-sway bars work well on an IRS car but are a bad idea on swing axle cars. I will leave it to the experts to explain why, but that's what my limited research has led me to conclude.

The Z bar limits downward wheel travel to prevent tucking like mentioned. A sway bar will allow downward travel freely as long as the opposite wheel is down as well, which is what happens when a swing axle has enough tuck to lift the rear of the car. So the sway bar will reduce roll, as will the Z bar to some degree, but the sway bar does not have the same safety limiting capability. Granted, a sway bar can limit downward travel, but that is a side effect and not a primary function.

Regarding rear sways; you cannot just put a rear sway bar on a car and leave it. You can "get away" with it as long as you don't drive near the limit, but the first emergency situation may not be very forgiving.

The only exception to this rule is adding a mild rear sway bar to a car that drastically understeers. And in any situation that significantly alters a cars handling, you better be able to get somewhere where you can let it all out, lay some sideways rubber, and push the car past it's limits to verify how it handles.

If you add a rear sway bar, you also need to add front roll stiffness by adding a front sway bar or increasing the existing front bar diameter. The ideal scenario is a matched set of adjustable sway bars, then hitting a track, skid pad, or somewhere where you can nail the handling down so that it's neutral or has mild understeer. You will lose some rubber and make some noise, but it's worth it. The stock Ghia already does have mild understeer in most conditions, so making it handle flatter is a matter of adding roll stiffness to both ends to maintain balance. Adding more meat in the backend rubber department is a good idea while you are at it Wink

Paul
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Factory rear anti-sway bar mounts? Reply with quote

How hard would it be to retrofit a '67+ factory "equalizer" bar to a '64? Is it worth doing? Where would I get one?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory rear anti-sway bar mounts? Reply with quote

They were on long axle cars. 60-66 have short axles. You would need #10 and #15 welded to the axle probably the end castings too. Not sure what else.

A camber compensator would be simpler.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2423522
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory rear anti-sway bar mounts? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
They were on long axle cars. 60-66 have short axles. You would need #10 and #15 welded to the axle probably the end castings too. Not sure what else.

A camber compensator would be simpler.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2423522

Thanks! I'm finding out that this is a complex subject. Just found these threads:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115512
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=122567

I tend to think that I don't really need to do anything, and that driving these swing axles at speed is a skill that can be learned. But I do worry about dangerous handling in unexpected situations (e.g.; deer jumps out).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory rear anti-sway bar mounts? Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
I tend to think that I don't really need to do anything, and that driving these swing axles at speed is a skill that can be learned. But I do worry about dangerous handling in unexpected situations (e.g.; deer jumps out).

Or Kangaroos.....just ask Sputnick about that, or read through his thread!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: