Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Refresh FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I've done the linkage and gearbox part of the refresh already, and it was actually not too bad before cleaning. I was a little surprised at how good things looked upon teardown.

your saying even after that it still pulls the light a bit?

can you do a voltage drop test on the motor while its running?

I have not got the dash reassembled yet. The wiper assembly is sitting on my workbench patiently waiting for me to pull the motor casing off and check its innards. Can't check the flashing light situation till I get it all put back together. I do plan to bench test the thing before it gets reinstalled.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just began this process and now I have a few questions and some pictures to contribute.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should this have grease on it?

Oops Laughing

What year bays have the plastic gear? This motor is from a 74.

Factory chocolate sauce

Blew this out with the air compressor
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine completely installed now, and everything is working well. No more red GEN light at the parking position. I have a bunch of photos to add, but I do not have time right now to do so.

Coastal, clean that old grease off/out and wipe in some new stuff. I used white lithium grease. A little grease on those contacts is OK. Shouldn't be much more that what you show of the old stuff.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should this have grease on it?

Yes, well at least, mine did. There should be dieletric grease inside. While it will settle down to the lowest part of the gearbox as the gear and the worm gear spins it will pick up grease and lubricate itself.
The fingers should be clean of any large debris I think, but the purpose of the dielecric grease is to allow the conduction of the current from the fingers to the record player on the gear.

Oops Laughing

I tried to warn you! I mentioned this in my write up!. This happened because you removed the motor shaft separate from the cover. Be careful when you reassemble that you place all the springs back, and dont break any of the copper cables. I used a bent paper clip to hold each magnet/spring back in the channel, then I inserted the shaft, and removed the paperclips. It worked well for me, if you need more detail reach out.

What year bays have the plastic gear? This motor is from a 74.

My 77 has a plastic gear... That's all I know!

Factory chocolate sauce

Not sure if the grease "fouls" or can really become contaminated. But mine was a nice clearish-opaque. Definitely not this dark

Blew this out with the air compressor

Nice, I wiped mine free from any dust/debris. Not sure if yours has it, but be wary of a small cone-like-shaped bushing that (might) sit in the bottom of the cup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the grease: I cleaned out all the old stuff with lacquer thinner and put a thin coat of moly grease back on the worm and gear faces. The contacts on top of the gear get a thin coat of dielectric bulb grease.

My hardware cleaned up fast soakin in a can with that thinner in it. Barely had to rub it to get the residue off, it was totally caked up before.

Obnoxious - I just got done working on my setup and that cone bearing didn't come out like on yours. Not sure how it's held in there, and I didn't try hard to pull it out, but I don't think it's supposed to come out. Obviously it's not going anywhere but next time you open the motor up see if it looks like anything is missing or broken around it.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I hold the brushes in place while I reassemble.

I also never saw that cone washer come loose. I cleaned inside the case with electrical cleaner, then gently blew it out with compressed air.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Stuart, what am I looking for at the switch? Should there be different voltage coming off it for the different speeds, or what? I do notice that there is a change in the speed from the two positions, but its not anything to write home about.

Obnox, I was just checking my motor and parking it, and noticed a couple relevant things.

One) the motor is a two-speed DC motor, so it has two leads going into the motor body, for both high and low speeds.
Two) the wiper switch on the dash switches 12v from one lead to the other, depending on which speed you select.

If you don't have two speeds, I would start at the switch, check for voltage on both terminals, and check all the wiring connections to the motor.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't know anything about it when. Frat started taking things apart. After my refresh, I've got both speeds again.
My 77 obviously has the wiper control on the column, and after having now taken apart the motor, and the switch I better understand how it works Smile
Thanks for thinkin of me though!

Now, I'm working my way through the intermittent wiper mod!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ruprect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Refreshed Wipers but have an issue Reply with quote

So I've rebuilt and refreshed the wiper motor, and it works wonderfully. However here's the rub: if I have the wipers pulled off of the glass, the motor turns them, but the moment I place one even partially towards the glass the motor turns but the wipers do not. I checked the gearing inside of the motor itself and it does not seem to be stripped.
I am thinking that by placing the wipers on the glass, it is putting a bit of pressure on the shafts which is binding them, but I do not know how to get past this. Any suggestions?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet that you do not have the the main wiper motor mechanism nut tightened all the way. The nut that holds the main lever to the shaft of the wiper motor needs to be snugged down tight, or the motor shaft can spin inside that lever, and neither the wiper arms nor the entire mechanism will move.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I would bet that you do not have the the main wiper motor mechanism nut tightened all the way. The nut that holds the main lever to the shaft of the wiper motor needs to be snugged down tight, or the motor shaft can spin inside that lever, and neither the wiper arms nor the entire mechanism will move.

x2, 14 mm nut on the base of the arm is loose. take the arms back off, and make sure the arm is clean in there, so its not all smooth, should have tiny teeth for traction when tightened up.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

x2, 14 mm nut on the base of the arm is loose. take the arms back off, and make sure the arm is clean in there, so its not all smooth, should have tiny teeth for traction when tightened up.

Actually, I meant the main nut that mounts the entire wiper lever mechanism to the shaft that protrudes from the wiper motor. It's way up under there, and it is a bitch to reach with the mechanism installed.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Actually, I meant the main nut that mounts the entire wiper lever mechanism to the shaft that protrudes from the wiper motor. It's way up under there, and it is a bitch to reach with the mechanism installed.

Whoops...Laughing my bad. i still vote checking the nut on the top side first...easiest. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not the nut that secures the arm, you should look to make sure that the grooves on the end of the shafts are in good shape.
They are responsible for bearing all the force of the wiper arms, and over time they wear like anything else. With little resistance, they might have enough of a grip to turn the arms.
If there is force against them though, you might find they spin but don't move the arms.

Check the nut like cdennisg said. If it is secure, then you would want to remove the caps on the wiper arms, remove the nut that holds the arm onto the shafts and look at the condition of the shafts. You could even remove the nut and turn on the wipers. You would be able to see if the shaft is spinning inside the arm or if it is even spinning at all.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to putting my wipers back together. I left that chocolate looking mess above alone and re-greased everything else with white lithium grease. Worked great and glad I did it because it rained the 7 hour drive back from Bugorama Laughing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoastalAirCooledVW wrote:
Finally got around to putting my wipers back together. I left that chocolate looking mess above alone and re-greased everything else with white lithium grease. Worked great and glad I did it because it rained the 7 hour drive back from Bugorama Laughing

wait you actually use your wipers? loser. Rolling Eyes

Rain-x all the way. Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Rain-x all the way. Razz

Rain-X is great, until it's dark and you have to occasionally use your wipers while trying to see through the smear/glare of oncoming headlights. I'll never use it again as long as I have good wipers.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Rain-x all the way. Razz

Rain-X is great, until it's dark and you have to occasionally use your wipers while trying to see through the smear/glare of oncoming headlights. I'll never use it again as long as I have good wipers.

i use both, and rainx the side windows. much clearer to see out of. personal preference i guess. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic ... THANK YOU!!

This thread help me so much tonight, uninstalling the wiper motor on my '79 Westy! THANK YOU!!!
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Great thread. I needed to only replace my dead body grommets for the wipers.

I did not need to remove the wires from my wiper motor, I just:
-Removed the wiper arms;
-Took off the nuts (discovered I did not have washers under the nuts);
-Removed the glove box;
-Removed the heater ducts
-Undid the wiper motor from the body and pulled it back;
-Installed new grommets; and
-Reinstalled everything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: