Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Refresh FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh Reply with quote

not much more to add - but THANKS.

I would definitely have buggered something up, or lost a circlip if I didn't have this tutorial. I just did the shafts, and didn't bother taking the motor apart. It was working before. I just took it out as I'm doing some other work on my singlecab, and I wanted a clear look at everything.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh Reply with quote

I did this recently on my '78's wipers and now for some reason something is binding. When I go to turn them on, I can hear the alternator try to take on the heavy load, and then the fuse pops after a moment.

Any idea what might have gone wrong?

I did the exact same thing on my '73 a few months ago and had zero problem.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh Reply with quote

Some pictures of the linkage would help, its possible to have part of the linkage out of wack..

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

A very detailed and helpful how-to. Are there replacement parts available for the wiper shaft spindle bushes (the parts marked fragile)? Any field repair alternatives? One of mine broke separating the parts. Thanks.
steek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Very helpful writeup many thanks for that.

I'm having an impossible time getting the wiper shaft out of the bearing is seized completly. I've a new shaft assembly to install once i get this off. Any tips on separating the two?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

steek wrote:
Very helpful writeup many thanks for that.

I'm having an impossible time getting the wiper shaft out of the bearing is seized completly. I've a new shaft assembly to install once i get this off. Any tips on separating the two?

Rob the nut from the other pivot and double nut the offending pivot, then lube/heat/lube/twist/lube/curse/lube until it frees up.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

In doing this procedure of course one of the shaft c-clips flew off into the abyss....nowhere to be found.

I located some at a local hardware store that looked like a good match, but they did not fit properly.

Can anyone suggest a source for these, or have a couple of spares for sale?
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

As orwell84 asked, does anyone know if replacement bushings are available (see pic).

From looking at the microfiche the connecting rods are

P/N 211 955 325 (short)
P/N 211 955 326 (long)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

THall wrote:
In doing this procedure of course one of the shaft c-clips flew off into the abyss....nowhere to be found.

I located some at a local hardware store that looked like a good match, but they did not fit properly.

I lost one of mine in a similar fashion. I just kept trying different ones until one fit. I think it was technically an e-clip that I used, you can get an assortment pack at Harbor Freight.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
THall wrote:

I lost one of mine in a similar fashion. I just kept trying different ones until one fit. I think it was technically an e-clip that I used, you can get an assortment pack at Harbor Freight.

Yes, e-clip would be the correct classification.

I ended up finding this retaining clip that fits quite nicely.

MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

"and pray that the shaft goes into the bushing at the bottom of the motor housing shell."

Has anyone got tips for how to get the shaft into the bushing at the bottom of the housing shell while putting everything back together? I'm totally stuck on this step and just got set back because the whole assembly came out and sproinged the brushes and springs again. The bushing keeps twisting inside its little housing and going crooked as I battle the magnets while trying to slip it all together.

They call my home the land of snow.
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Update: Ended up getting it together by keeping twist ties on the brushes/springs right up until the last moment (with the brush plate and nipples already in place) and moving the already combined case/rotor in place together instead of trying to line it all up separately. Hopefully the last time I do that job!

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

MaritimeBay wrote:
Update: Ended up getting it together by keeping twist ties on the brushes/springs right up until the last moment (with the brush plate and nipples already in place) and moving the already combined case/rotor in place together instead of trying to line it all up separately. Hopefully the last time I do that job!

Something like this?

cdennisg wrote:

Here is how I hold the brushes in place while I reassemble.

MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
MaritimeBay wrote:

Something like this?

Pretty much - and thank you for posting that picture in the first place. I was lost without all the great info on these forums! The picture below is right before I slipped the twist ties out of the whole assembly and screwed it back together.

NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Did this tonight just to repair a wiper shaft the windshield guy broke years ago.
Excellent instructions. It was so easy, I will pull it apart again after my trip just to get it all cleaned up and lubed. Oh yeah, and polish my heater plenums Wink

Edit: Looking for wiper blades. All I can seem to find is the whole blade holder. I don't want that. I want to use the original wiper arms. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm doing a wiper motor repair, and wanted to get some opinions on the issue that I'm trying to fix. So far, I have had the wiper gear reinforced with the brass kit from a seller in the classifieds. I have also opened the motor, cleaned it, greased the bushings, cleaned up the commutator, and replaced the brushes.

The motor itself runs perfectly. However, when the driven gear (not the worm gear, but the big plastic gear) is installed, the motor bogs at a certain point in the rotation of the driven gear. I tried turning the driven gear with the motor and worm gear uninstalled, and it spins freely. I also tried spacing out the driven gear from the housing with an additional washer (about 75 thousandths of an inch). This makes the wiper motor assembly run properly with no slowdown, but I'm concerned that the worm gear will then only ride on part of the driven gear teeth, rather than fully meshing. I've measured the diameter of the driven gear at several points, and it does not appear to be out-of-round. Additionally, the driven gear is square to the shaft that spins the wiper crank.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
sbvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Another grateful wiper mechanism refurbisher giving thanks! I’ll contribute a little bit of useful info back: I measured the carbon brushes in the motor and they are 4mm x 4mm in cross section. I was able to find some perfect replacements on Amazon that were 10mm long: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZXX6N4

That link will likely be dead in time, but look for brushes on that are 4mm x 4mm x 10mm, with the copper braid attached on the side, not the end. These were listed as “ Car Motor Carbon Brushes for Automotive Wiper, Window glass lifter Motor brush”
Atlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

long time lurker, first time poster. So my wiper system was a disaster - won't bore anyone with the details but one thing that is missing/destroyed is the grommet/bushing at the bottom of the wiper motor mount. I've had no luck finding a part number or suggestion for replacement. I may end up fabricating something if necessary.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Atlin wrote:
long time lurker, first time poster. So my wiper system was a disaster - won't bore anyone with the details but one thing that is missing/destroyed is the grommet/bushing at the bottom of the wiper motor mount. I've had no luck finding a part number or suggestion for replacement. I may end up fabricating something if necessary.
111 955 641
Atlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Refresh FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: